Different take on a log lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that! I like the idea and may incorporate it on mine!

I think it would be good if the lift could be easily disconnected/connected so it would just move when needed.

One idea that I just thought of would be to have the connecting arm being a tube and have a rod in that tube. Just have a spring loaded pin that would drop into a hole in the rod that would connect the rod and tube together. This way, you'd just pull the pin and the lift would stay on the ground until needed and the rod would just move in the tube. (clear as mud) :msp_ohmy: :msp_tongue:

Sort of along the same thought process, I've often thought about wood processors and how the wood is advanced with a separate cylinder. I wonder if using the splitter action to also advance the wood would work?

Last edited:
Kinda neat! And what are they splitting, rough floor tiles?? Looks like they are splitting real thin shakes.

Kinda neat! And what are they splitting, rough floor tiles?? Looks like they are splitting real thin shakes.

I was thinking that he was ruining some nice firewood. He needs some slab wood, not a splitter.

I split a bunch of nice ash like that a few years ago, only I made the splits thicker. I also kind of sorted it as I put it in the basement, bark pieces vrs all wood pieces. We used the bark pieces for during the day and low heat demand days and burnt the all wood pieces overnight and during high heat demand days. It seemed like it was lots easier to control the house temperature. I like the lifter idea and you could change the linkgae point to have it to be up whenever you wanted it.

I was thinking that he was ruining some nice firewood. He needs some slab wood, not a splitter.

My brother's wood stove is the most efficient when we split his logs like that; he has a little box stove [18"x18"x18"] and he stacks the splits up inside all the way to the top of the box and gets 8-10 hour burns out of one feed.

Did anybody else notice the second Hydraulic ram that he is not using? Looks like you get the speed of the small ram, and if you need it, you can bring the other ram out to help split tougher Pieces....Looks like a well thought out Machine!

I've been thinking about this since I watched the video. I you swapped the main lifting bar connecting rod for a piece of heavy cable or some chain and attached it below the pivot rather than above. It would power up on the split stroke and gravity drop on the retract stroke. Add a drop down leg on the table and you have a work table. The cable/chain could either go slack when the ram is retracted with the leg down or you can make it removable taking it off to keep it out of the way.

I took another look at the video, these guys know what they are doing. It looks to me like they can disconnect the lifter easily and can leave it up if wanted for a table. And I finally seen the bigger cylinder too. Another reason for splitting like this is the wood will cure really fast, Ash would be ready to burn after very short time. How come these guys aren't on here?

Latest posts

Back