Difficult start of 361-not flooded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Saw worked great last week up North cutting nearly 3 cords of wood. The maximum I could do in a week with help from some friends. The saw also started each and every time I tried to start the saw.

Now a week later at home with the same gas mix, only a week old, the saw refused to start. All it did was give a few sputters a few seconds after it started and then it died. IT DID NOT FLOOD after numerous attempts!

I pulled plug and it did not have a very significant smell of gas odor and I then inserted a new plug, no change. Since the saw did run for approx. 1-2 sec. for 10+ attempts I was using warm start. I usually use the chain brake while starting but I did not even have enough time to disengage the brake before it stalled. I also tried without the brake and to use the throttle after it started but no go just a sputter.

Finally, I tried the WOT start on the ground, after numerous pulls at warm start position no go. I then tried a few pulls on cold start got a blurp switched to warm and then it started.

After that I was able to start the saw normally when I shut it off.
The gas tank was still 3/4 full of gas because I used it last Sunday.
I can't believe I have to throw out gas after it sits for a week in the saw.

Any ideas on what the problem was?

I have not had any problems with saw since initial wee bit problem of
starting the new saw in 2007.:clap:

I did re choke it a couple of times until it burped but still no start. I did not want to flood it out. I lost count on the attempts and that it sputtered to a stop.

My useless post for the day,It's a Stihl get used to it lol!:popcorn:
No serously now that it is getting colder you might have to re choke I had to do that with my Log Splitter today every motor has it's little quirk.

Sounds about right for this saw. You will get use to the quirks or just give up on it entirely. Mine actually has been pretty good recently. Except for the cloudy day when it did not want to start and the sunny day when it decided to idle too high and then there was the overcast warm day when it would not restart and the high humidity day………

I have a 2 stroke pressure washer that I have to "rechoke" sometimes.
The first time it happened I went nuts trying to find the problem but it didn't have one! Now when she dies I just choke it again & away I go.

So in order to prevent flooding the engine during rechoking how many times do I let it stall before I rechoke it? :confused:

The saw has not given any problems at all in starting before in humid or dry conditions.
This problem has also never occurred in the past even during 20 degree weather. In the cold weather of winter it took a few more pulls than normal, but it did not continously stall after start after start,after start,after start...

When I had a 361, it seemed to be harder to start when using the compression release. I think it was flooding, but can't be sure. I've heard of others who experienced the same problem.

Yes, just forget the decomp valve is there and you will have fewer problems, from my experience anyway.

I have to say I prefer the old-style conventional choke on my 032 Super anyway, similar to the cars I learnt to drive in. Judicious use of a choke lever makes starting a breeze.

Mine will do that if I let it get too low on fuel, like out. If it gets low enough to start bogging in the cut I shut it down and refill. When I try to restart it will do just as you've described 6,7, maybe 8 times. Start run and die in the time it took to read that until fuel gets pumped back through the line. With all of that in mind I wonder if you could have a small leak that allowed air into the system over the course of a week.

Oh, and I don't use the decomp either.

I got tired of yanking on the rope so I was using the decomp also come to think of it. Not when I did the WOT start though. I usually do not use the decomp button.

Latest posts

Back