Digger or Grey Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totlweav

Reaction score
I have a 75ft+ digger pine less that 6ft from my downtown home. Limbs branch out over my home, I'm concerned about the cracking off of a branch or limb. I've been told it can happen for no reason and or due to weather and winds. I want it removed

Why are you worried about it? Is the tree doing poorly?
I'm getting older and can't keep with the constant mess it creates. ..the needles and the sap...I have a 110yrs old Victorian home and can no longer get on the back roof to keep the needles off and am very concerned about a limb cracking off abd hitting the house. Also with the yrs of drought and now el Nino coming I'm thinking it's time. Guess I'm needing someone to tell me it could be hazardous

So you're looking for an arborist who approves of removing healthy trees?

In all seriousness, ANY tree within reach of ANY structure is a potential risk, but who wants to live in a desert? A 75' digger pine has seen plenty of droughts, plenty of El Ninos, and the cost of removing a 75' pine hanging over your home will cover a couple decades worth of neighbor kids cleaning the needles off your roof, not to mention the reduction in your property's value from the loss of a mature tree like that.

A tree that is too close to a house is just that. It is too close to the house. Large branches do sometimes break off of a tree with bad weather and it is largely unpredictable when that may happen. I have trees that self prune all the time but they are not 6 feet from my foundation so it doesn't cause me any problems. I just get the branches off the lawn before I mow the grass.

So is it your tree or someone else's? If it is yours and you don't like it then have it removed. I will say that digger pines are not the most attractive tree and do little for shading a property or adding any value. I have not seen them shed limbs like the valley and black oaks that share the same habitat. Usually if a limb fails it will rotate and twist around and down to the ground. They will shed dead limbs and very large pine cones.

Back