Dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had "money to spend", which would it be?

• MS 661

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • AR-15

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
They are trying to ban the green tip 62gr. 5.56 ammo saying its "armor peircing" bs if you ask me. I got plenty
Penetrator, not AP.
It was designed to penetrate helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it were me i'd buy a used 660 from a member here and then either buy just the lower or the whole thing if money allowed.

its what i did i bought 2 ar15 lower and an armalite ar10 lower 2 months before they banned them here. sure glad i did

Daniel Defense or Rock River Arms. I'm still doing research but I want one that will at least hit .5 MOA at 100 yards (300 yards would be ideal). Heard a lot of pluses and minuses on S&W as well as Ruger.
Then Go DD: they are a Georgia Company, and DD is good Stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buy a ar-15 or a 661?---humm--

i would say BUILD a MS660 and build a ar-15 !! your gonna get robbed buying either most likely. both are easy builds--and you can get what you want.

or put a ar-15 on layaway at some place that sells ar-15s for reasonable and build what you want for a saw.

i don't really get why you need a 661 we have some huge oaks out here , haven't seen one that couldn't be cut with a good running 440 /460or 372 . back when we had really good timber the husky 288 was the go to for big stuff.

hell my dad cut a 9 foot through pine with a 670! took him two tanks of gas though--

i have threatened to build a ms660 from huzle parts , probably could do one for a few hundred bucks--

one thing for darn sure-- don't skimp on the shooting irons or ammo.

as no telling what our government has let in here---

PS M855 ammo is just "ball" ammo , AP rounds are black tipped.

the entire obama ban scheme is bull hocky.

the soviet 7N round was banned as AP. what it really does is frag when it hits.

any excuse to ban ammo is the obama/holder way.

and how is it holder ain't in jail for fast and furious? more boarder patrol officers were killed with his AKs than police have been killed with the banned ammo---

PS M855 ammo is just "ball" ammo , AP rounds are black tipped.

the entire obama ban scheme is bull hocky.

the soviet 7N round was banned as AP. what it really does is frag when it hits.

any excuse to ban ammo is the obama/holder way.

and how is it holder ain't in jail for fast and furious? more boarder patrol officers were killed with his AKs than police have been killed with the banned ammo---
+1

There are some good AR builders you can use right here in town. Daniel Defense just down the road from us also.
Getting and keeping a sub MOA AR takes money and just the right ammo. If you are serious about accuracy and shoot at ranges over 100yds it is a good semi auto platform.
It takes a good shooter to see the difference between a 1" gun and a 2" gun at 100yds or more.

If you want an AR for plinking/shooting get one. If you want to get a long range/accurate AR build one.

You can build a real accurate 223 bolt action that will shoot bug holes for about the same money too.

If you are planning to cut a lot of our live oaks a 660 would be handy but a 440/460 and sharp chain will get more use day to day.

If you get a firearm get a safe. A fire resistant model is a plus. You can store a lot more than guns in it.

My advice is worthless for your decision, i have too many saws and guns and boats....

If you are talking home defence, an AR is not the best. And if you are talking zombies, the chainsaw is the better tool for the job. :chainsaw:
Really, I've had an AR, they are overrated and overpriced in my opinion. I like them, the "cool" factor is high and all, and if you are going to shoot a military match they are the cat's meow. But, I get a better adrenaline rush with a chainsaw after testing weapons for a few years. But if I'm in defense mode, and don't have enough bullets for a belt fed machine gun, I'll take my chances with a nice bolt action in 6.5 till they get close, then go to a shotgun till you run out of ammo, then grab the chainsaw till you run out of gas. Oh yeah, pray a lot, stay in good shape, and be nice to your neighbors, you may need them some day. :)

MS661 only because I already have am awesome home built AR. But my AR was way cheaper than a 661. I love having connections!!

I'de wait for a while till you get an AR-15. L. James Sullivan is currently working on the modifications to make the whole thing what it should have been back when he was on the design team back in the late 50's. It'll be coming out from Armswest LLC. There is a video about it Interview & Shooting: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer

I've used M-16's, AR-15's, M-4's. I still wouldn't buy one. They never seemed to have a proper place in civilian life.

Get the 661.

AR-15 gets my vote and if you wanna be the cool kid buy a 300AAC upper for it too.
here is what i have with a few more goodies added on. http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55a6654.htm

I got a 404 error. Seems they changed the site.

I'de wait for a while till you get an AR-15. L. James Sullivan is currently working on the modifications to make the whole thing what it should have been back when he was on the design team back in the late 50's. It'll be coming out from Armswest LLC. There is a video about it Interview & Shooting: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer

I've used M-16's, AR-15's, M-4's. I still wouldn't buy one. They never seemed to have a proper place in civilian life.

Get the 661.

I'll be waiting a while due to circumstances beyond my control anyway so I'll have more time to mull it over.

I just enjoy target shooting and I have the most trigger time on AR type weapons.

I probably won't use the 661 all that much. Sucks to be practical all the time.

Get the AR. A 661 should be pretty available at any given time. Any mass shooting incident could send politicians, preppers, and other regular gun owners wanting to get their hands on as many as they can. Right now the AR world is ok, but there will be another time when it is not

Latest posts

Back