Dirt inside airfilter on Husky 346xp!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1ST

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was cleaning the saw today. I took off the air filter and looked inside the neck of it. I was surprised to see dirty dust type stuff that accumulates on the outside of the saw. Anybody else notice this? Either dirt got in thru the filter screening (seems unlikely) or where it meets the carb tube (doesn't seem like it's a very tight fit). The saw has about 15 tanks of gas thru it.

Side note: I was dissapointed to see that the husky maintenance pack that has an air filter, gas filter, plug, and oil - supposedly for the 346xp - has an air filter that doesn't fit. After cutting off the extra tabs, the neck is too short and fits on too loosely. The number of it also does not match the original filter's number. Arggg.

Last edited:
Side note: I was dissapointed to see that the husky maintenance pack that has an air filter, gas filter, plug, and oil - supposedly for the 346xp - has an air filter that doesn't fit. After cutting off the extra tabs, the neck is too short and fits on too loosely. The number of it also does not match the original filter's number. Arggg.

You need the one for the right version of the saw - the air filter connection (and filter) was changed a while back......

The basic 346xp is a 9 year old design, so no wonder something has been changed trough the years.

..and no, I never experienced something like that on the 353 or 346 - are you sure that the two parts of the filter was locked together properly?

Last edited:
some operators for what ever reason use their choke to turn off their saws.
its an accepted practice and some argue that it puts a little bit more fuel in the saw for easy starting next time.
however it does sometimes spit a tiny bit of fuel back into the air filter, over time the oil in the fuel builds up on the inside of the air filters and the little tiny tiny particles that do make it through the air filter stick to the oil and cause a build up of black chunky stuff.
i noticed this for the 3 months i had a broken kill switch. the performance of my filter really suffered to the point where a carb couln't lean the saw out enough and was stuck at 12,000rpm. when i opend up my air filter i noticed that it had a good build up so i washed it with soap and water and the thing was running over 15,000rpm and i really had to richen it back up to acomodate a the clean filter.
its not really an answer to your question its just what i have experienced when i had the same problem.

I shut down the saw with the kill switch, but thanks for reminding me that I can wash the filter and don't need to buy a new one yet. Seems like if they used a rubber gasket, it would improve the seal.

some operators for what ever reason use their choke to turn off their saws.
its an accepted practice and some argue that it puts a little bit more fuel in the saw for easy starting next time.

I have never heard of this... another overengineering old wives tale... :rolleyes:

The light dust that is gettin' past your air fliter might be from a dull chain. If you are spittin' dust with your chain, and not chips... it is more likely to accumulate around the filter and can get through some times...

Gary

... The light dust that is gettin' past your air fliter might be from a dull chain. If you are spittin' dust with your chain, and not chips... it is more likely to accumulate around the filter and can get through some times...

Gary

Good point Mr Nice Guy - and if the filter is the black winter variety, that is much more likely to happen!

Last edited:
What color is the filter, and are you sure it was properly closed?

It's mustard color. Part #KPL 537 26 49.

Yes the bracket was snapped over the top of the filter and the neck of the filter was over the neck of the black tube to the carb. It certainly doesn't seem to be air tight or very snug.

Ah, they made this so it could be opened and cleaned inside... nice.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this... another overengineering old wives tale... :rolleyes:

The light dust that is gettin' past your air fliter might be from a dull chain. If you are spittin' dust with your chain, and not chips... it is more likely to accumulate around the filter and can get through some times...

Gary

nah, the chain is always sharp, i only cut dead dry trees so thats probably where the dust is from. and it accumulated over the course of a couple months of heavy cutting.

You need the one for the right version of the saw - the air filter connection (and filter) was changed a while back......

The basic 346xp is a 9 year old design, so no wonder something has been changed trough the years.

..and no, I never experienced something like that on the 353 or 346 - are you sure that the two parts of the filter was locked together properly?

Troll.....Are your saws even run in yet???..........:) :)

I was cleaning the saw today. I took off the air filter and looked inside the neck of it. I was surprised to see dirty dust type stuff that accumulates on the outside of the saw. Anybody else notice this? Either dirt got in thru the filter screening (seems unlikely) or where it meets the carb tube (doesn't seem like it's a very tight fit). The saw has about 15 tanks of gas thru it.

i had the same problem.the 2 halves of the air filter were warped so they didnt seal.whent back to dealer and he checked his filters and most of them were warped.he ordered a replacement one and that one is perfect.

Impossible, balderdash and heresy! It's a Husky, that could never happen!:)

i had the same problem.the 2 halves of the air filter were warped so they didnt seal.whent back to dealer and he checked his filters and most of them were warped.he ordered a replacement one and that one is perfect.

I'll keep that in mind as something to look for when I buy a replacement, but that's not a problem with this one... no warps.

If I put the filter on, leave the clip unsnapped, and tip the saw up side down, it doesn't fall off, so it's that snug. I'll check it from time to time and see if there's any dust build up inside.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back