Disapointed in my Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had this saw a few years now, hated running it because it cooked my hands off, I had to wear heavy gloves in the summer just to keep my hands from burning. Once I figured out what Little snow symbol on the side was and what the little button on the side was for it was a joy to use. Artic saw apparently. It's been a great saw and I've cut tons and tons of wood with it. I was using it a few weeks ago and the choke/shut off button was sticky and not working properly. Then the darn thing just up and quit for no reason, it wasn't out of fuel. Pulled and pulled and it just wouldn't start. Ordered a bunch of spark plugs and tonight I finally got around to trying it out, darn thing spit a time or two then stalled, yanked on the cord and it came out 2" and acted like the piston was seized. Crap, run the chain back and forth a couple of times and got it to move a bit and got it started. Darn thing spit out fuel like crazy and dripped all over my concrete floor. Run like crap and bogging bad. So figured I might as well remove a cover or two and see what's up. Looks normal to me.
IMG_20151211_202707.jpg IMG_20151211_202759.jpg IMG_20151211_202802.jpg IMG_20151211_202808.jpg

I cleaned it up and it works fine now. My maintenance skills might be a little lacking lately.

My old stihl was bullet proof .it was slow and heavy but started right up . it had that lousy filter setup that sucks in debris . I sold it and buy huskys now

I don't care what brand you prefer if don't maintain it it's gonna fail. I've had the same saw for 10 years and never had a problem, just a quick shot of compressed air after every big sawing session keeps it working. I've even got a old paint brush in my saw box that I keep for cleaning debris off out in the field .

It baffles me why anybody would spend several hundred dollars on a saw and not blow it off or wipe it down once and awhile. I treat my saws just like I treat my guns.

I caught a friend waxing his stihl. Told him he was gonna be disappointed ..
He asked "WHY?"
I told Him Cuz the saw would not cut as fast.
He asked "WHY?"
I heckled him a bit then told him he was using the wrong kind of wax.
He asked "WHY?"
I told him
Wait for it .............
"Cuz yer using TURTLE WAX!!!

Hum me thinks you have a few others that could get you through the day lol.

Seems to be working ok now. I'll keep an eye on it and if it burps or farts I'm selling it. My buddy said he had the same problem with his. Shut off button wouldn't work, plugged so full it couldn't move.
This is an ash at his house. Just before I finished I asked him when he paid up his home owners insurance.
IMG_20151212_090923.jpg IMG_20151212_092500.jpg IMG_20151212_092512.jpg IMG_20151212_092651.jpg

Benp. yeah, I just dropped it for him but told him to keep a close eye on it when cutting it up. He actually has more experience cutting wood than I have but he preferred me to cut it down. I cut a bunch of wind damaged trees awhile ago with him on a property and after pointing out some dangerous things he was and wasn't doing he decided maybe he could learn a few things from me. I take my time cutting down trees like this and have almost always had them do exactly what I wanted or expected them to do. In this type of situation you make a mistake and people including me could die. I tied a rope around the tree and spray painted it so it left a nice clean line that I could cut to make sure things went right. When I was cutting I thought maybe the mouth was a little big but the branch that was there just makes it look bigger. I left the tree tall because he uses it for a clothsline and a kids climbing stand. I only cut the one side from the ladder, the main cutting was done on the play stand that is hard to see in the pictures.
IMG_20151212_085202.jpg IMG_20151212_085159.jpg

Benp. yeah, I just dropped it for him but told him to keep a close eye on it when cutting it up. He actually has more experience cutting wood than I have but he preferred me to cut it down. I cut a bunch of wind damaged trees awhile ago with him on a property and after pointing out some dangerous things he was and wasn't doing he decided maybe he could learn a few things from me. I take my time cutting down trees like this and have almost always had them do exactly what I wanted or expected them to do. In this type of situation you make a mistake and people including me could die. I tied a rope around the tree and spray painted it so it left a nice clean line that I could cut to make sure things went right. When I was cutting I thought maybe the mouth was a little big but the branch that was there just makes it look bigger. I left the tree tall because he uses it for a clothsline and a kids climbing stand. I only cut the one side from the ladder, the main cutting was done on the play stand that is hard to see in the pictures.
View attachment 469512 View attachment 469513
You don't have to worry about the ash tree growing over the top pulley.

That's a cool pic with the pulleys.

Also their condition is pretty amazing considering how old they have to be.

Looks like all went well for you. Those bit tops can be a bit tricky and at times they'll fall funny and kick back. I took down a few of them and they were hollow in the centers. That one looked solid. Good Job!!

Back