Disease or normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillyjill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I have a tree on my property that has clumps of brown bumpy growths on the branches. I'm hoping that the photo will help identify the issue. Can anyone possibly tell me if this is a disease or just something normal. And, of the former, should I chop the tree down or treat it somehow? Help?! jill

i'm interested to hear some additional responses, but it appears as though you have a branch gall or possibly a canker. if possible, it is best to cut it out if it is not too much material to take out of the tree. and although it may be difficult to do, try to sterilize the saw with bleach after each cut to prevent the spread. i've seen trees like for years with conditions such as yours and i've seen some die fairly quickly. unless you don't want the hassle of dealing with it, i'd go ahead and prune out the diseased branches and enjoy the tree. as time goes on, it may be necessary again.

this process is sometimes referred to as "death by a thousand cuts" which is to say that there may not be much to do for the tree except continue to prune it until it's run its course.

here's where i may need correction: if my memory serves me correctly, these disorders are bacterial, which are very difficult if not impossible to treat. i look forward to reading the thread and hearing what more informed people have to say about it.
good luck,
kevin

i'm interested to hear some additional responses, but it appears as though you have a branch gall or possibly a canker. if possible, it is best to cut it out if it is not too much material to take out of the tree. and although it may be difficult to do, try to sterilize the saw with bleach after each cut to prevent the spread. i've seen trees like for years with conditions such as yours and i've seen some die fairly quickly. unless you don't want the hassle of dealing with it, i'd go ahead and prune out the diseased branches and enjoy the tree. as time goes on, it may be necessary again.

this process is sometimes referred to as "death by a thousand cuts" which is to say that there may not be much to do for the tree except continue to prune it until it's run its course.

here's where i may need correction: if my memory serves me correctly, these disorders are bacterial, which are very difficult if not impossible to treat. i look forward to reading the thread and hearing what more informed people have to say about it.
good luck,
kevin

Sounds about what crossed my thoughts.

Your "thousand cuts" statement reminds me of the mistletoe in our area.

As for that gall or canker - it's gnarly. I'd consider removal.

Looks like a cherry tree, which probably means that it's black knot (Apiosporina morbosa). It hits plum, cherry and prune trees (Prunus).

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/black_knot/blacknot.htm

Very common, very ugly, very stressful (for the tree of course) and possibly deadly. That site's got some interesting facts, including some possible management tips.

And this, from another site (Government of Ontario):

"Black knot management relies primarily on sanitation and properly timed effective fungicide applications. Knots should be pruned at least 8-10 cm below the swelling during late winter or early spring before spores are released and susceptible shoot tissue develops on the hosts. The black knot infected branches should be completely remove from the orchard or burned. Knots left on the orchard floor or in trees will be source of spores that will be released in the spring and cause infection."

If the tree is covered in it, unfortunately, it might have to be removed. :(

Hope this helped a bit.

Mark Currie

Thanks!

Thank you, thank you, thank you - I so appreciate your replies! In reading your posts and looking at the Cornell site, I'm 100% sure that the tree has Black Knot disease (Apiosporina morbosa).

I recently moved into the house that has 2 acres of tree filled land that had been neglected for years. So, unfortunately, this tree has this disease running through most of the branches, and it seems that it will have to(carefully) be cut down. Now, I face the challenge of finding someone qualified to remove it. Living in an apartment in Manhattan was much simpler!

I spent last weekend chopping into vines that had wrapped themselves around many of the trees. What next?

Thanks again.
jill

You're welcome. And no worries masterarbor, I'm bound to get it right once in a while.. haha.. We do have a few cherries around these parts and 95% are covered with black knot. Mostly pin cherry, so it's no big loss. ;)

Mark Currie

Black knot is so common on cherry, it's an identification characteristic.
I've seen small ornamentals that were covered in Black Knot so much, that the knots outweighed the tree, really, quite interesting. I have also seen many trees with a handful of knots that don't seem to have any effect on the tree, good or bad.
Coming from a small apartment, where everything has to be in order, and every square inch is important, it might be hard to readjust your thinking just a bit now that you are a country person. Rather than cut the tree down, perhaps learning to appreciate the interest, and even beauty, of the tree, complete with it's imperfections.
If the knots are on main limbs or the trunk, you'll want to get a good look and make sure you don't have a safety problem, otherwise, enjoy the character and uniqueness of the growth.

It's not beautiful

Black knot is so common on cherry, it's an identification characteristic.
I've seen small ornamentals that were covered in Black Knot so much, that the knots outweighed the tree, really, quite interesting. I have also seen many trees with a handful of knots that don't seem to have any effect on the tree, good or bad.
Coming from a small apartment, where everything has to be in order, and every square inch is important, it might be hard to readjust your thinking just a bit now that you are a country person. Rather than cut the tree down, perhaps learning to appreciate the interest, and even beauty, of the tree, complete with it's imperfections.
If the knots are on main limbs or the trunk, you'll want to get a good look and make sure you don't have a safety problem, otherwise, enjoy the character and uniqueness of the growth.

Hi KB. Thanks for your perspective. I quickly moved to thinking that I'd have to chop down the tree, especially after reading in the Cornell U report (thanks again Mark), "The infection stresses the entire tree causing it to weaken, decline and possibly die".

To your email, having lived very close to Central Park and my experiences as a child, I very much appreciate nature - imperfections or not. I have to fight off my mother-in-law who wants to kill every spider she sees! In fact, our property is not manicured but rather quite rustic, which is partly what drew us to this house. I did laugh when I read the part in your note about the small apartment where all needed to be in order. Although I did move from an apartment, it wasn't small nor was everything in order!

All that aside, I took another look at the tree this morning and it's a complete mess - there's little beauty there. It looks to have been ravaged by this disease and is very close to surrounding trees. I've attached another shot.

Again, thanks very much for the advice. I'll let you all know what happens.

Country Jill

Watch those vines.

You might want to get a positive ID on the Vines that you have been chopping on.

You may end up with Poison Ivy from head to toe.

That is one ugly tree. Looks like it might be dead already? Or just about there at least.

Does poison ivy grow in vines in New York state? I didn't see it in upstate New York when I worked there a few years ago. I was amazed when I lived in Virginia when I found out that it actually grew in vines.. haha.. Here, it might get 8" tall at best and only grows in a few select spots. Very easy to avoid.

Mark

black knot

Black knot on cherry...hmm cherry makes really good firewood... you want to cu tout the knots and sterilize between cuts...or make a flush cut at the ground and split the wood....:greenchainsaw:

Poison Ivy?

Hi everyone. Yes, my black knot infested cherry tree is ugly - it's amazing that I didn't notice it until about 2 weeks ago. I don't even own a chainsaw, so saving the wood isn't an option for me. Cherry does make amazingly good firewood though. So many trees, so little time.

Daemon2525 - thanks for the warning. I'm almost sure that the vines I was obsessed with, enough for me to go out and chop into them, were poison ivy. Can you, or anyone else possibly confirm this? Amazingly, I seem to have avoided the wrath of the ivy, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
jill

Hi everyone. Yes, my black knot infested cherry tree is ugly - it's amazing that I didn't notice it until about 2 weeks ago. I don't even own a chainsaw, so saving the wood isn't an option for me. Cherry does make amazingly good firewood though. So many trees, so little time.

Daemon2525 - thanks for the warning. I'm almost sure that the vines I was obsessed with, enough for me to go out and chop into them, were poison ivy. Can you, or anyone else possibly confirm this? Amazingly, I seem to have avoided the wrath of the ivy, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
jill

that is definately poison ivy, no dispute. i'd play with it now, before it leafs out.
good luck,
kevin masters
:jawdrop:

Poison Ivy

that is definately poison ivy, no dispute. i'd play with it now, before it leafs out.
good luck,
kevin masters
:jawdrop:

Kevin - thanks for confirming. These vines are all over the place in my area of upper-Westchester, New York. In the attempt to stop them from strangling my trees, I cut a 2 foot or so piece from each vine. Is there anything else I should do to prevent them from taking over again. Can such thick ivy vines be killed?

Thanks, thanks, thanks.
jill

it's difficult and probably too damaging to host plants to use herbicide. just continue to cut it at the base and enjoy country life!
kevin

PI vines

I would paint the bottom cut end of the PI vine with a 50/50 mixture of full strength Roundup (41% A.I), right after I cut it. You can also do this later, just cut it a few inches lower. If you have any real big vines like around 6" or so, there is a use for this "wood". You cut it into about 8" lengths, then split out and carve a wooden spoon out of it. Then you give it to your mother in law or a nosey neighbor!:jawdrop: :hmm3grin2orange:

I agree that what you have is poison ivy vine. I was told years ago by a Soil & Water Conservation fellow that poison ivy was not damaging to trees and is good for wildlife. Grape vine however shades out the trees and kills thems. I have both types here but only worry about the grape vine.

Ken

Works well if the treatment is done in the late summer, a little less effective now, but if it doesn't work the first time, you can always cut it down a little, and repeat at the right time. And its a legal use, as the method is in the roundup label, see basal bark and cut stump treatment section, in the RU label.

Latest posts

Back