Disposing of Old Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O2 sensors only sense the presence of oxygen. That little amount of oil will just be burned by combustion.

Exactly - If anything, the oil might result in incomplete combustion and higher O2 - making the mixture look lean - same thing that happens when a plug is misfiring. The increased HC could make the Cat Converter run a little hotter, but again, the small amount is insignificant - even with low tank. I've added mix to my "04 GMC with no problem, no codes.

I my truck. It's 1990, injectors, cat coverter etc... but it burns a pint of oil every month so what I'm adding in a gallon of mix dilutetd by 10 gallons in the tank is nothing...

My old gas comes from a few saws I service at home... I almost never throw any of mine out.

I do filter it though.. (though a coffee filter). Way to much crap in saw tanks that could block my injector filter.

I my truck. It's 1990, injectors, cat coverter etc... but it burns a pint of oil every month so what I'm adding in a gallon of mix dilutetd by 10 gallons in the tank is nothing...

My old gas comes from a few saws I service at home... I almost never throw any of mine out.

I do filter it though.. (though a coffee filter). Way to much crap in saw tanks that could block my injector filter.

Great idea on the coffee filter. I'll think about that next time I get coffee and they ask if I want leaded or unleaded. LOL!

My mower always gets the old gas. Over the summer I put some really OLD pre-mix (5 years?) in the mower, the stuff stunk. You could smell the stinky old fuel in the exhaust when it was running. It was diluted about 50% with new fuel. It seemed to start ok, Although I did not notice it, I'm sure there was a loss of performance. CSW

Sugar aint bad either if its diluted properly

The older mower.

Start burn piles perhaps.

The good mower.

Your 250,000 mile plus vehicle.

I know chain saws are really special. But if fuel isn't good enough for your $800 saw how is it acceptable for a $15,000+ vehicle just because it's diluted?

I know chain saws are really special. But if fuel isn't good enough for your $800 saw how is it acceptable for a $15,000+ vehicle just because it's diluted?

If the fuel isn't perfect you can burn up a two stroke in minutes. Your car can compensate for the fuel and avoid a lean burn, it probably doesn't have the octane requirements of the saw, and it probably has a knock sensor.

I'll keep running the 3-6 month old stuff in my car.

OTOH, if you put some really bad crap in your car and clog up a set of $100 fuel injectors, you might wish you'd only burnt up a $200 p/c on your saw. If it doesn't smell like gasoline, I put it in the trash burning barrel.

That's just it - it's diluted. 1 gallon of stale blended in with 20-30 gallons of fresh = fresh. Just make sure it's clean.

If you think every drop of gasoline comming out of the refinery is fresh then you're mistaken.

Never put fuel which contains lead (100LL, CAM2, etc) into any vehicle that has a catalytic converter. This includes cars and most pickups built 1975 or later. I also never pour any type of petroleum distillate on the ground due to possible well water contamination.

CAM2 contains lead?

I put in a full tank in my '99 Z28 with no problems. Didn't set off any SES light, just that the exhaust smells like superglue fumes.

Bro put a tank into my '02 Sea-Doo GTX-DI with no problems.

i was thinking worst case: empty fuel tank and generous oil in the mix, may pick up by the o2 sensors.

as i said, i dunno really, was just guessing. you know, err on the side of caution:)

The oil may stunt your cats temporarily is about it and I think no more than that is they would burn off, if there was silicates in the 2 cycle oil which I doubt then the o2 sensors etc could be damaged, long story short dont worry cats and o2's can withstand a small amount of oil its anti-freeze and lead that kills them.

I dont fret over fuel/oil mix at all its got stabilizers already in but thats me and thats why, otherwise I would get rid of it after awhile also?

Kansas

Last edited:
I've seen it posted before, maybe here, that there is probably some lawnmower website somewhere on which the members argue endlessly over Toro vs. Honda and tell each other that it is A-OK to use their 6 month old stale mower gas to make premix for their chainsaw.

I've seen it posted before, maybe here, that there is probably some lawnmower website somewhere on which the members argue endlessly over Toro vs. Honda and tell each other that it is A-OK to use their 6 month old stale mower gas to make premix for their chainsaw.

:cheers:

Back