dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,, here is the Quake helping to clean up the garage fire it survived through. Nothing was done to it afterward, not even cleaned, or checked for water. Looked for melted bits, saw none, filled it up with mix and vegetable oil and pulled it and ran 'er. It'll need a new chain now I'd say, but will check it out later. Tough little saws.....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Well,, here is the Quake helping to clean up the garage fire it survived through. Nothing was done to it afterward, not even cleaned, or checked for water. Looked for melted bits, saw none, filled it up with mix and vegetable oil and pulled it and ran 'er. It'll need a new chain now I'd say, but will check it out later. Tough little saws.....

Sorry to hear about the barn fire! Glad the Quake survived. I've no doubt I can count on mine if I need it - once the bugs were worked out it's a darn stout and reliable tool.

Sorry to hear about the barn fire! Glad the Quake survived. I've no doubt I can count on mine if I need it - once the bugs were worked out it's a darn stout and reliable tool.
the ones I had I ran the piss out of them and they always started

Look what you guys have done. The cheapest Quake is $166 for a 38cc,and some fool is trying to sell a 41 cc for $386.10 on Fleece-Bay.

Look what you guys have done. The cheapest Quake is $166 for a 38cc,and some fool is trying to sell a 41 cc for $386.10 on Fleece-Bay.
yep,,, after I bought a bunch of them for 40 bucks and then posted about them on here and everyone bought a bunch of them the price went through the roof,,, bet they are not selling to many now:dancing::dancing:

yep,,, after I bought a bunch of them for 40 bucks and then posted about them on here and everyone bought a bunch of them the price went through the roof,,, bet they are not selling to many now:dancing::dancing:
I have a hunch who sold a bunch and made a nice bundle... capatilism at it's best...:crazy2: :dumb: :drinking:

;)

Well, there are two pieces of plastic - one is the tank/handle assembly, and the other is the rear case. These shots are of the two case parts, and there are two screws on each side that hold it together (possibly a 5th somewhere too?) two of which are behind the flywheel. Again the Ryobi:
View attachment 380549
View attachment 380550

But you should not have to disassemble it that far. You should be able to remove the A/V mount screws so that you can move the tank/handle assembly far enough to access the lines. There is a plastic plug in the middle of each rubber A/V bushing - once you pry that out you can get to the screw. I have replaced the lines this way - I had to remove the oil pump screws too.

I bought a couple of the lower oil lines for the Ryobi as they are much nicer and put one on the Quake.
How did you get those soft screw loose without buggering them up?

Noticed a nice little 14" dead ash blowdown that was propped up on a large stove wall on one side and a stump on the other - way off the ground. So I decided to buck it with the Quake for a test, and it ran great. Still not the fasted saw I have that size, but it has a really nice feel. It is not peaky and has decent torque for 38cc.

The ash turned out to be burn-it-now wood. I was not entirely sure so I noodled a few blocks out of the crotch and tossed them in the little stove that was about due for a re-load. The took off with no hissing or spitting and no steam coming out the chimney. Score! Will be about 1/3 cord out of that - only the first round from the stump was at all punky, plus what was left of the crown which shattered on impact.

I've been looking at those and will check out your thread later on.
I have the drill master 4.5" thats like $10 the switch is a pain to cut on sometimes but it has great torque. I also have one of the chicago 4" ones thats like $14.99 and its not as strong and overall not as good. But I had e had it like 5 years and cut tons with it and still going. Have a wire wheel on it now for cleanup of metals for welding. Its good for that and I use the 4.5" for grinding and cutting.

The smaller one is getting loud and vibrating. Not sure if the wire wheel is out of balance or the bearings are finally going. But has been worth the investment :)

The AV screws on mine are all flathead screws and there in with like locktite.
Strange - I'm going to have to look at mine again as it's been a while now. Is yours the 38/41cc or the 45cc? The 45cc will be different.

Strange - I'm going to have to look at mine again as it's been a while now. Is yours the 38/41cc or the 45cc? The 45cc will be different.
The one I am talking about is the 45cc. I have a 38 also. Like the small one. I too wish I bought a 41cc!

My 45 had a tear in the primer line out of the tank. I cut it and plugged both lines and pulled the primer bulb. But the saw won't run worth a darn now. Rebuilt the carb but its like there is something going on. This thing should run with the lines plugged to the primer right? After all its just a check vale and a way to push fuel into the carb for faster starting???

I got another carb I will try but I am head scratching at this point.

After the rebuild I could get it tuned but it was lime 3 turns out on each screw and it had no power though...I mean I knew something was wrong when I had to turn the screws out that much.

I will see what a new carb does.

Thanks Chris, luckily it was insured.

My grandpas camper was in there though, an old popup camper we camped in when I was small that can't be replaced. That was a tough loss....

But it was detached from the home, so no damage there, and most all my grandpas tools survived also.

The 10-10s Mac survived too, though paint has faded look to it now. My other OPE was in another building.

Latest posts

Back