dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had to dig in and see what can be done.

2012-12-22_22-28-14_633.jpg

2012-12-22_22-28-06_478.jpg

Cylinder ports are tiny. I was hoping for a closed port design.

2012-12-22_22-58-36_344.jpg

2012-12-22_22-58-46_560.jpg

2012-12-22_22-58-27_297.jpg

2012-12-22_22-59-02_484.jpg

I'm watching this, interested in seeing what you do to that muffler, would like to see what's inside of it. :msp_thumbsup:

I'm watching this, interested in seeing what you do to that muffler, would like to see what's inside of it. :msp_thumbsup:

The muffler is crimped together so its goibg to be fun to fake apart. I will probly use some heat and try to bend the crimped edges up.

I'm going to have a go at mine, it's really choked up, at worse if I screw it up so bad it's unusable, I've seen some Craftsman saws with the same muffler.

There easy to get apart and put back together it just takes time don't rush it :msp_smile:

Torch; old screw driver and ball-pen hammer is all you need to complete the job at hand ;)

I wish that guy would quit selling so many on Ebay, he is killing the collector value of these things haha (kidding). I will finally get to the three I bought a while ago here in a little bit.

I had my expectations set low too. This is a fine saw for what is worth. I too like that it cuts and runs well for a little loaner. My stihl ms250 just crapped out on me after 10 years, probably the intake boot but maybe a crank seal, I haven't gotten into it yet, so if this lil saw lasts 1 year then I have the same into it as the stihl cost 10 times as much. Now I know the two are power-wise very different and the productivity is not the same, but, use each tool for what it is and I for one am unexpectedly happy with this saw.
Nick.

am i wrong or is there more earthquakes be bought then huskies or stihls :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

I dunno but I can buy 6 Earthquakes with a metal split crankcase and removable cylinder for less than the cost of a husky with a plastic crankcase with bearings mounted in plastic....hmmmmm:msp_sleep::msp_sleep:

:jester:

My E-Bay heater parts have gone green so as soon as they get paid for I'm turning that dough into two more Quakes, one of which i'm going to give the full treatment to, figure with it being slow during the Holidays I can waste some porting and lathe time, will cut the base and a popup piston...wonder how much compression I can get it to gain? I know I did an Echo trimmer that was near 170Psi over the summer, might try to top that with one of these Chineese beauties.

Maybe this is a secret, maybe not. Are yall buying these on Ebay? If so who is the seller? I'd like to have one. I haven't been diagnosed but I think I have the beginning stages of CAD?:clap:

Maybe this is a secret, maybe not. Are yall buying these on Ebay? If so who is the seller? I'd like to have one. I haven't been diagnosed but I think I have the beginning stages of CAD?:clap:

Yup, ebay seller is sellingitasis but just type in ebay earthquake chainsaw....if you buy 3 or more yi may have CAD:msp_w00t:

I'm out of flat stainless screen so I think I will be sacrificing some of these air filter cylinder screens to finish up the muffler on the Quake, thought about going without a screen altogether but I don't need the hassle if it throws a spark (or part of the piston)
View attachment 269411

Well, I may have mentioned I have a similar chink-o-saw, yesterday it pretty much died. Bogged down and refused to start after a few minutes of use. Compression still good, I think it's a fuel / carb issue mostly, we'll see. They copied a walbro carb for this one, maybe they did a bad job at it?

I never let them sit with gas, in fact I empty the tanks and leave the caps not fully seated, so any remains will eventually evaporate out... This has to be China to blame, right? :msp_w00t:

Well, I may have mentioned I have a similar chink-o-saw, yesterday it pretty much died. Bogged down and refused to start after a few minutes of use. Compression still good, I think it's a fuel / carb issue mostly, we'll see. They copied a walbro carb for this one, maybe they did a bad job at it?

I never let them sit with gas, in fact I empty the tanks and leave the caps not fully seated, so any remains will eventually evaporate out... This has to be China to blame, right? :msp_w00t:

You do know the Parent Company that this was designed after

Last edited:
I'm out of flat stainless screen so I think I will be sacrificing some of these air filter cylinder screens to finish up the muffler on the Quake, thought about going without a screen altogether but I don't need the hassle if it throws a spark (or part of the piston)
View attachment 269411

Just don't use a screen :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back