dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted on this thread a while back. I wrote about how I thought it was crazy that folks buy cheap Chinese crap. F the US, F our economy, F good workmanship, right? But guess what... My posts were deleted. Apparently I don't know what AS is all about (as one member told me before my part was removed.) You're right brother, I didn't. I didn't realize it was about censorship and buying cheap imported trash. Now I do. Ban me, delete my post, make some asinine joke about how I'm new and don't know a damn thing. because I've seen enough and I know for sure that I don't want to partake.

you have got to be kidding me,, i will say it again,,, this is for fun,,, geez people,,, why is it that if you don't like a certain saw you need to get on here and post crap like this,, if you don't like the saw then fine, but we are having a blast with them

dang,, i just checked on fleabay to maybe get another one,, 90.00 for one:bang::bang::bang::bang: i'm not paying that for one

I posted on this thread a while back. I wrote about how I thought it was crazy that folks buy cheap Chinese crap. F the US, F our economy, F good workmanship, right? But guess what... My posts were deleted. Apparently I don't know what AS is all about (as one member told me before my part was removed.) You're right brother, I didn't. I didn't realize it was about censorship and buying cheap imported trash. Now I do. Ban me, delete my post, make some asinine joke about how I'm new and don't know a damn thing. because I've seen enough and I know for sure that I don't want to partake.

how many american chainsaw companies are there? remind me:msp_confused: i'm not talking about the small few that are built in some out of the way small factories for other companies. we're all aware of them. just confused. and apart from the 'home owner' grade saws at those factories, how many american built 'pro' saws are built here? other than the dealer network, what's the difference between buying a husqvarna or one of these earthquakes?

Some dockworkers, crane operators, truckers, UPS guys and retailers may disagree with what these saws are doing to the economy.

Not to mention waste haulers, scrapyards and landfill operations. :msp_smile: Sorry, just couldn't help myself but you did open that door.

Not to mention waste haulers, scrapyards and landfill operations. :msp_smile: Sorry, just couldn't help myself but you did open that door.

now that was funny,, i don't care who you are:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

When the "American company" that hires the "American worker" to make an "American product" stops saying "F" the customer by making pure CRAP and asking me to pay a premium for it, then I will support them. I will pay for quality when I find it regardless of who made it. I haven't seen a car made by an "American company" that I would buy for a LONG time - not since my 1964 Mustang. My brother had a "Chevette" once - now there was a product to be proud of. I drive a Ford Taurus for work - a complete POS.

Back to the fun - 3 Quakes in my inventory. All MM'd, one ported, one ported with base gasket removed. Three saws for $110. CHEAP FUN. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I decided to open mine up a bit more. I tore everything down, opened the intake and exhaust some more and smoothed all the rough stuff between the case and cylinder. It's now right around 175 psi compression and started on the second pull. I haven't had a chance to get it into wood and tune it yet but hope to over the weekend.

That chain is going to have to go. I just can't get a good bite with it. Has anyone filed the rakers WAY down on the chain that came with their saw?

I decided to open mine up a bit more. I tore everything down, opened the intake and exhaust some more and smoothed all the rough stuff between the case and cylinder. It's now right around 175 psi compression and started on the second pull. I haven't had a chance to get it into wood and tune it yet but hope to over the weekend.

That chain is going to have to go. I just can't get a good bite with it. Has anyone filed the rakers WAY down on the chain that came with their saw?

heck,, i couldn't get above 150 on any of mine

Hmm - I just don't have a problem with that chain. It's going to be tough to get something that takes a bigger bite without going all the way to full 3/8, and then it really doesn't match the sprocket profile plus you're making it move a lot more wood from the wider kerf.

I have not seen a significant difference between the WoodlandPro/Carlton and the 91PX chamfer chisel. People say the 91VXL is faster, but I've never tried it - the cutters look very similar to the Carlton though.

If you had a 0.325 sprocket then you could go with 20BPX/LPX, but those will be pricey.

I clean the ports on the HUSKYQUAKE and made them like glass and it ran better but I didn't get that high of compression I didn't shave the cylinder or take out the head gasket out

I'm going to try filing down the rakers some more but I have three saws to finish on my bench before I can do anything else

Me too. In fact, I couldn't see a noticable difference when I removed the base gasket in mine. Blew about 140 both before and after. Even checked my gauge with a compressor - not quite believing what I measured. Gauge was good.

I clean the ports on the HUSKYQUAKE and made them like glass and it ran better but I didn't get that high of compression I didn't shave the cylinder or take out the head gasket out

I'm going to try filing down the rakers some more but I have three saws to finish on my bench before I can do anything else

Me too. In fact, I couldn't see a noticable difference when I removed the base gasket in mine. Blew about 140 both before and after. Even checked my gauge with a compressor - not quite believing what I measured. Gauge was good.

I forgot to mention the piston. When I had it apart I knocked a chip off of the piston skirt. I didn't want to put it back in like that and had bought another piston and cylinder off of the bay from one of the members here. I checked that piston and noticed the casting was better quality and much nicer overall appearance. I installed it and checked it for clearance; seemed okay. It could be the piston made more of a difference than I originally thought.

Also, when I smoothed the base of the cylinder and crankcase I used some 200 grit sandpaper (gently), then 300 grit, then finished off with 400 and some polishing. I may have taken off a bit more than just the rough spots when I did that. That's one of the great things about this saw. $35!!! I can experiment and not worry about breaking the bank.

I have learned a lot off of this cheap little saw and still have more plans for changes as I go.

Hmm - I just don't have a problem with that chain. It's going to be tough to get something that takes a bigger bite without going all the way to full 3/8, and then it really doesn't match the sprocket profile plus you're making it move a lot more wood from the wider kerf.

I have not seen a significant difference between the WoodlandPro/Carlton and the 91PX chamfer chisel. People say the 91VXL is faster, but I've never tried it - the cutters look very similar to the Carlton though.

If you had a 0.325 sprocket then you could go with 20BPX/LPX, but those will be pricey.

I would LOVE to find a cheap .325 sprocket to go on it, but no luck so far. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of the little chain. I'm used to running full chisel .325 or 3/8ths on everything else.

you are right DD that is one of the good things about these,, if you screw it up your not out much

you are right DD that is one of the good things about these,, if you screw it up your not out much

Yes sir! And one thing you can be sure about - if I'm involved in it SOMETHING will get screwed up. :bang:

I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy things. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm used to running full chisel .325 or 3/8ths on everything else.

Doesn't STIHL have full chisel 3/8 Low Profile ('Picco') chain you could run? STIHL PICCO

I used to think that swapping sprockets was a simple thing. Have been surprised how many differences there are between different spur sprockets especially, and how many saws/pitch combinations the Oregon product selector comes up empty for. I wonder how many of these 'blank spaces' are due to the lack of physical size matches, or if some are due to manufacturers specs/recommendations, lack of a simple feature (e.g. a notch to drive an oil pump gear), etc.

Philbert

Pour down rain and blowing way to hard to many limbs falling down out there it was worth the drive thu

Latest posts

Back