dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I tell ya, at $35 to $40 a pop, they are hard to beat.

I swear, the temptation to buy a bunch of these and flip them.....

As said, you can't even buy a bar and chain for the price of these complete, running saws. I will probably end up with 3 of them, especially if a 14" comes up. I have a whole other saw for parts now, for $40. You add up the wear items on a saw; chain, bar, sprocket and such, you'd have over $40 in that, not to mention the carb.

Really, just can't go wrong with these things....

ETA: My next one will probably arrive in pieces since I said that.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Well, I tell ya, at $35 to $40 a pop, they are hard to beat.

I swear, the temptation to buy a bunch of these and flip them.....

As said, you can't even buy a bar and chain for the price of these complete, running saws. I will probably end up with 3 of them, especially if a 14" comes up. I have a whole other saw for parts now, for $40. You add up the wear items on a saw; chain, bar, sprocket and such, you'd have over $40 in that, not to mention the carb.

Really, just can't go wrong with these things....

ETA: My next one will probably arrive in pieces since I said that.. :hmm3grin2orange:

I worry about that too, but no one has received a dud yet.

WOO HOO!!!

I'll be the first then!!! :jester:

Twas kinda the reason I was balking at $45. These are parts saws after all, we are taking a chance that they could arrive in pieces, or shot, with no warranty or recourse. I don't see me as interested in one if the price meanders above what it is now.

However, I'd be REALLY interested near the $25 mark or so... :D

I don't know if anybody watched the news tonight, but northern Maine was shaken by a record quake tonight. I got it in the shop a few hours ago. My first impressions were pretty bleak. I was beginning to wonder if it was even worth the $36 I spent. Here's what I found:

- the file is cheap but works.
- The scrench is a joke, it'll end up being thrown in the side by side for an extra.
- the bar and chain are what you would expect on an entry level saw but not dissapointing.
- the fit and finish on the saw leave a bad taste in your mouth at first. All the stickers really don't do it justice and are already half peeled off. The chainbreak cover is very difficult to get lined up, there is a little nub on the back that you really have to force in to get right.
- It blew about 130 lbs of compression out of the box, I'll check it again after a few tanks.
- The saw looks like it was never in wood, but it had definately been run.
- Took 5 pulls to start out of the box, once warmed it fired on the first pull everytime.
- It is quite cold blooded, but once warmed up run better than I could have expected.
- I ran it against my Husqvarna 136 and 142. The 136 walked all over it and the 142 truly blew it away. To be fair, this is what I expected and wasn't really a fair test in my eyes.

All in all, I can't see how this is a waste of $36. It will be the perfect saw to dedicate to the side by side.

I don't know if anybody watched the news tonight, but northern Maine was shaken by a record quake tonight. I got it in the shop a few hours ago. My first impressions were pretty bleak. I was beginning to wonder if it was even worth the $36 I spent. Here's what I found:

- the file is cheap but works.
- The scrench is a joke, it'll end up being thrown in the side by side for an extra.
- the bar and chain are what you would expect on an entry level saw but not dissapointing.
- the fit and finish on the saw leave a bad taste in your mouth at first. All the stickers really don't do it justice and are already half peeled off. The chainbreak cover is very difficult to get lined up, there is a little nub on the back that you really have to force in to get right.
- It blew about 130 lbs of compression out of the box, I'll check it again after a few tanks.
- The saw looks like it was never in wood, but it had definately been run.
- Took 5 pulls to start out of the box, once warmed it fired on the first pull everytime.
- It is quite cold blooded, but once warmed up run better than I could have expected.
- I ran it against my Husqvarna 136 and 142. The 136 walked all over it and the 142 truly blew it away. To be fair, this is what I expected and wasn't really a fair test in my eyes.

All in all, I can't see how this is a waste of $36. It will be the perfect saw to dedicate to the side by side.
When I got my Mac MS4018P (GZ4000 clone) I already had a muffler modded 142 which totally blew it away. It was so choked up by the muffler. After doing the muffler mod on the MS4018 I'd say it is pretty close, if not equal now. This Earthquake is not strato and 38cc but it will probably respond to a good muffler mod - the muffler on it looks to be even more choked up with a cat.

When I got my Mac MS4018P (GZ4000 clone) I already had a muffler modded 142 which totally blew it away. It was so choked up by the muffler. After doing the muffler mod on the MS4018 I'd say it is pretty close, if not equal now. This Earthquake is not strato and 38cc but it will probably respond to a good muffler mod - the muffler on it looks to be even more choked up with a cat.

There is no doubt in my mind that this little saw won't even feel the same with a muffler mod and a little port work. I'll get to those after a few tanks. Has anybody checked the squish on these yet?

just the 2nd one??? you need to get on the ball,, you need at least half dozen on the shelves,, ask joe and digger,, they are trying to get a dozen HOARDED up

Yeah; we should send dswensen to the Earthquake management school :jester:

I just had a terrible thought: how do you guys know that those are genuine Earthquake saws that you are buying off of the Internet at those prices and not some Chinese copies?

Philbert

Easy now don't be starting any rumors :bang:

Double D carb tool

Does anyone have a tubing ID for making a double D carb tool?

If not I'll try to mike it as soon as I get on on the bench and post it;

Thanks, Ed

4 38s here and another on its way to my youngest in CO.

Thanks, Ed

I used a Dermal with a cuts off wheel and made a slot in the screw then use a standard carb screw driver :msp_smile:

I used a Dermal with a cuts off wheel and made a slot in the screw then use a standard carb screw driver :msp_smile:

Take the jets out with small needle nose plyers....everyone forget to add that bit...or get the tool which I did...not cause you have to, but because it is nice to have!

Happy New Year Quakies!:kilt:

These are probably North Korean copies of chinese copies......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My quakies have kim jung il's signature....had to quarantine them cause they were irradiated. I heard them broadcasting american hate speech the other night.

They are trying to brainwash me into assembling an army of them for US takeover by purchasing more. The engine is actually a nor kor trooper in there spinning the chain around on the bar...

....gotta go, they are telling me to put my foil hat back on for new years....

There is no doubt in my mind that this little saw won't even feel the same with a muffler mod and a little port work. I'll get to those after a few tanks. Has anybody checked the squish on these yet?

I checked; don't remember the numbers now but there was plenty of room to remove the base gasket. I've only done that to one so far so I can't say if that's normal for them or not.

Take the jets out with small needle nose plyers....everyone forget to add that bit...or get the tool which I did...not cause you have to, but because it is nice to have!

Happy New Year Quakies!:kilt:

You have to live dangerously every once in a while :laugh:

Thanks, Ed

I used a small section of brake line leftover from redoing a rear line on my buddies plow truck. You need to thin it a bit on a bench grinder and then form it by sticking one end of a set of needle nose pliers in it and squeezing it in a vise, the result is a perfect "D" shape that will work perfect on the adjusters.

I don't think they can reach Michigan with a warhead full of quakies but Idaho just might be within range. Keep your head down out there....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

OMG! I'm on the west coast of WASHINGTON! I'm so screwed. Well, at least I won't have to worry about the personal "fiscal cliff" that the quakies might cause. :angry:

OMG! I'm on the west coast of WASHINGTON! I'm so screwed. Well, at least I won't have to worry about the personal "fiscal cliff" that the quakies might cause. :angry:

I can't wait to move back there...I miss it so.

Back