DIY firestarters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone else make their own? I just whipped up my first batch.

142359be74f8ca59cb692e03b3c3d825.jpg

sent from a field

I tried that "pour the wax over the chips/dust" and it didn't soak into the chips, just hardened on top.

So I melted a candle and stirred in the chips till there was no liquid wax left in the pot. Heated everything back up and then compressed the chips into the ice cube trays.

Tried one out and it burned about 15 minutes.

How 'bout just good ol' stumps of pine...fat lighter. Pines may not be abundant in you folks areas...they're a dime a dozen here. I understand the homemade theory as well...newspapers, cartons, etc. I've got more fat lighter from pines than I could dump in several 55 gal drums. All free.

These are mainly for the heatilator in the fireplace. It goes out every nite and I'm not getting up in the middle of the nite to feed it. The stove always has enough coals to stoke in the morning.

sent from a field

l have been wanting to make some of these! lnteresting!! l think what the op did melting the wax in the pot and stiring in the chips is a good tip, and it what l intend to do. Just looking for the cheap wax!

Cut some noodles by cutting with the grain. Throw noodles in a feed sack and let set in sun for a day. You can light with a match, scary flammable.

I make mine with noodles in a cupcake pan. Put the paper cupcake thingys in the pan add noodles pour in wax about 1/3 to 1/2 full and good to go. Oh yeah don't use the wifes good cupcake pan:(. I have 3 old ones.:givebeer:

l have been wanting to make some of these! lnteresting!! l think what the op did melting the wax in the pot and stiring in the chips is a good tip, and it what l intend to do. Just looking for the cheap wax!

Old candles. Candle leftovers. We have boxes of old candles and leftovers.

But you can pick up 5 or 10 pound blocks of wax off Amazon inexpensively. Certainly less than what it would cost to by the equivalent in store bought fire starters.

OP, I like your idea better. Next batch I'm going to mix it all together and portion it out like meatballs onto wax paper and let them cool.
Dave

The ice cube trays work out well because they allow me to compress the chips. Results in a longer lasting burn. Fiber egg cartons would be ideal but I had access to the trays.

sent from a field

I get free paraffin from work in 5 gallon bucket chunks. I heat the paraffin and mix sawdust and compress in a section of pvc pipe that's been cut down the length on one side. This allows extra paraffin to leave the pipe and after it cools, I cut them into pucks. They burn for a good half hour. I need to make some for this year.

Back