Do any stoves last longer than 24 hours on a fill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of only a few stoves that I have put in that get over 24 hours of burn time in the cold days, its just not going to happen... If there is tell me.
Dam the OWB just a dumb idea, safe,clean,heats water,not indoors, just a dumb idea.
this is so funny.,

Asfowb

ktm rider said:
<snipped> or even check this guy out www.newhorizoncorp.com

Their systems looks pretty good. If only... they had an outside unit? Or the likes of Taylor or CB if they had a secondary gas burner on their units. Seems the answer to all the hubba-bubba on OWB smoke, efficiency, safety, emissions and all the rest of the flap... gads-zooks!

Is it possible to merge these units? A Central Boiler/New Horizon combo OWB? Maybe time to build our own efficient, EPA & UL certified, non-pressurized, fully gassified, smoke-free... ArborSite Forum Outdoor Wood Boiler!!! The Asfowb is born.... :cheers:

(And it wood even come with a clothes dryer HX attachment for 'free'... with your fully pre-paid order... operators are standing by... CALL NOW!!)

bassman said:
why do you need a 20 hour burn??
sounds like you want to leave it while out of the house??
not a good idea .

shayne

Bassman, from this quote I assume you do not leave the house while your woodburner is fired??? What are the majority's thoughts on this??

We run our Newmac Classic woodstove 24-7 during the winter months, with a full load of decent hardwood, and throttled back it will go probably 12hrs min leaving plenty of coals for an easy re-fire with the addition of more wood + air... During the work week it normally will run unattended for 10+ hrs while the wife and I are at work... do most people find this to be a bad practice? or do all serious woodburners run thier stoves 24-7?

I'll admit that throttled back, my stove runs a little cooler than it should, but during the winter months I clean my chimney (which runs up through the centre of the house) about every month to 1.5 months, and never get more than probably 4 inches in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail worth of creosote build up per cleaning....

Matthew

We run our wood fired add-on furnace 24-7 N,D,J,F,M and it usually takes one fill at wake up, one during the day and a load of nice dry oak for the night, and there are enough coals in the morning to start with.

Chimney cleaning, within the next week here, then 6-8 wks apart, depending on what is seen on inspection. There is an old 6" pipe hole down and opposite of where the current smokepipe enters, I use it as an inspection hole with a 1mcp Qbeam, and a really clear mirror, gives me a great look at the buildup(if any at all) on the chimney walls, and the conditon of the smokepipe. I do a looksee from the roof as well, before I sweep it, and after to see the difference. So far, always less than 1/4" of dry, dusty build up, between cleanings, a 12x12 steel brush makes quick work of cleaning, and does a fine job.

Do I worry about our safety when we sleep, no, if I get curious before bed, I just go downstairs with the light/mirror and take a peek.

I also have a device for measuring the flue gas temperature, smoke pipe temperature all along the length of the smoke pipe, lets me know if things are where they should be, 400-600* on the inside.

Now, if I could just cut the 5 or so cords down to 4 or so cords, that would be better yet, but that would probably mean insulating, replace some windows, and so on, but the 3ksq/ft house sits at 66-72* throughout most of the winter as it is.

If a woodstove isn't safe to run when you are not at home, I certainly wouldn't want to run it while my family WAS at home. Or am I supposed to be standing in front of it in my fire gear with extinguisher ready and hose line primed?:D

Ran our insert 24/7 during the heating months, home,away, or asleep. Love my OWB now. Hot water bonus baby and no dragging wood in the house.

I sorta understand why they outlawed OWB. There is a restaurant here in town that heats that way and sometimes there's a huge inverted cloud of smoke hovering over. Almost as though the whole place was on fire.

Do you miss her? Sometimes I miss my X's
John

Yes and no. She is a train wreak. Not quite bipolar, as Olyman's luck had it. She is a weed addict, and almost always high. Or wanting to get high. As a friend said, "They are superficial when they are stoned, and when they are straight they are usually irritated and wanting to get stoned." But she was very attractive and really good in the sack. :pingpong:

It could be the system or setup I have, but in every thread at the bottom of the page there are at least four or five related threads. It works as great search function.
Anyone else have this?

It could be the system or setup I have, but in every thread at the bottom of the page there are at least four or five related threads. It works as great search function.
Anyone else have this?

Oh yeah I have that too.

For long burn times, I think BK sounds like they take the prize. Even though this thread was started back in '06 lol.

Latest posts

Back