Do I have a 2165 or a2171 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockland Farm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a used what I thought was a J-red 2165 according to the seller ( not the original owner ). How ever I am wondering if I got lucky and got a saw someone put a 2171/372 top end on.It definitely has a 2165 crankcase according to the ID tag and a 2165 sticker on the pull-start cover .However it has a 2171 air filter and cover . It has the Walbro carb but I know both models could have it . And it is neck and neck with my Husky 371 in 18" oak . Is there a way to check short of pulling the Jug ? I know it is just wishful thinking on my part and I should just be happy with a strong running saw . Some previous owner probably broke the air filter cover in the past and replaced it with one from a 2171 . But now I am curious .

Ok I will have to find my calipers were ever they went . I was hoping maybe there was something cast into the Jug that could ID it . But that would be to easy . And I guess it could also be a aftermarket Jug .

Ok I will have to find my calipers were ever they went . I was hoping maybe there was something cast into the Jug that could ID it . But that would be to easy . And I guess it could also be a aftermarket Jug .

Look at the base of the cylinder on the flywheel side (you may have to do some cleaning)
If it is a Mahle cylinder the 2165 will have a 48ZK and the 2171 will have a 50ZK cast into it.

they both use same low top filter.

The 2171 has a seperate filter cover and the 2165 does not. They use different air filters too.

Thanks for the info . It is the two piece cover . It has the clips like my 371 but is the lower profile . It says 2171 on it . I will check the numbers on the Jug tomorrow .

The jug will often have the bore marked on top in ink.

taplinhill is the Man !!! 50zk right on the jug where he said it would be . I have a 2171 . You just gotta love this site it is a wealth of knowledge about chainsaws and people willing to share that knowledge . The funny thing is the guy I bought it from sold it because he bought a 372 and he said he needed a bigger saw than the so called 2165 . He had a 24" bar on the 372 so he gave me 5 20" used chains with the Jonsered . The thing I noticed about the used chains he gave me was that they had all been sharpened a few times but the depth gauges had never been touched . I am thinking that was probably why the J-Red wasn't cutting the way it he wanted . I brought it home adjusted the idle a bit put a new chain on it and it cuts great . It cuts as well as my 371 and now I know why . I was kinda worried my 371 was not up to snuff at first . Sometimes you just get lucky . I guess I have to find a 2171 sticker for the pull-start .

Upon further review, the 2165 and 2171 have the same casting numbers on the cylinder.
I had a 2165 apart today and it had a 50ZK, but the bore measured 48mm.
I checked all the 2165/2171 cylinders I had and whether a 48mm or 50mm bore they had 50ZK or 50ZN cast into the base. As TK said, they do mark the top of the cylinder with a 48 or 50, but it wears away pretty quick.

Are you sure the crankcase doesn't say 2163? Is the chain adjuster in the side cover or on the front near the muffler? If it wasn't so late I would go check what the cylinder says. The 2163 had the 2 piece top cover and same filter as the 2171.

The saw has 2165 on the crankcase ID plate and 2165 on the pull start . It has the two piece top cover that says 2171 on it and the side chain adjuster . I will pull the top cover off today maybe I can see something in better light . I was just hoping for a easy way to determine what cylinder I have because I don't the tools to measure the bore .

All you need is a 5mm allen wrench, a ruler that measures in mm, and a drinking straw.

Pull the muffler, stick the straw in and to the back wall of the cylinder, then gently pull the starter until the piston just pushes the straw. Back the piston up and measure the straw.

Back