Do I need a bigger trailer? Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I hauled this home yesterday and was only able to get 18 pieces on the trailer, (6' x 10').
. Of course one piece turned into 36 after being Fiskared

5aamc.jpg

20zralx.jpg

sg7828.jpg

36 pieces after the Fiskars. This is one round.

hreo09.jpg

Last edited:
You do need a bigger trailer.

Nothing wrong with the one you have, just that a fellow can always use a bigger anything at all times.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

Nothing wrong with the one you have, just that a fellow can always use a bigger anything at all times.:hmm3grin2orange:

The pictures don't show it well, but the rounds are sitting in the trailer. There is a fair amount of weight in this load the way it is.

I was looking at a 7' x 12' with a much heavier axel the other day. The drive on ramp is supported much better than the ramp on this one. My garden tractor weights 1900 #'s and I fear the ramp is the weak spot of this trailer. The trailer can handle the tractor just find once it is on it.

True. My 6x16 is too small sometimes. :hmm3grin2orange:

I didn't see any pics of your trailer. I'm guessing a single axle flat deck with a rail about a foot up??? You've got a nice size there, really handy for getting in and getting wood, not so heavy that towing becomes a chore.

I upgraded to a two axle with a 10k GTW rating as my primary go-to trailer; it is 7x16 tilt deck. I've hauled in excess of 12k payload on it and it did really well, nothing on the highway, just across town at low speeds; with trailer weight that makes for 14k. With stake sides on it a couple of cords of wood fits really well. I have to put at least a half cord in the truck to get traction on my steep gravel driveway.

My next trailer for wood hauling will be a dump. I'm thinking 7x14 on two axles with a 14k GTW. I'm a huge fan of electric brakes, keep them adjusted and replaced as needed and they allow me to safely tow really heavy loads on the mountains around here. My 10k flat tilt-deck will stop fully loaded in a really short distance, those brakes really grab. They also grab in reverse which has saved my bacon on more than one steep gravel road when fully loaded and the truck lost traction. That'll take a chuck of cushion out of your seat for sure.

I've got even heavier trailers, but they start to get hard to hook up and towing them becomes alot more work. If the haul is short I'd often rather make two easier trips than put a 24k gooseneck on the job. Then there is the access question, often you just can't get the big trailers onto the job.

in my eyes you can never hace too big of a trailer.but there is a fine line as to when one it too big for your tow vehical. I have a 16' equipment trailer fully loaded it pushes my ram to the limit . but will pull the dump trailer fully loaded just fine.I guess am saying do not but a trailer you cannot pull.

WooHOO doncha love getting that many splits from a round?

Nice load man, Merry firewood Christmas! Hey, you got snow, that's cheating!

Last year we got six inches on Christmas day, that was just lovely wicked cool spiffy neat I thought.

I didn't see any pics of your trailer. I'm guessing a single axle flat deck with a rail about a foot up??? You've got a nice size there, really handy for getting in and getting wood, not so heavy that towing becomes a chore.

The wood is sitting on the 6'x 10' trailer. Sorry the picture just barely shows the rail around it. You are right on a trailer being too big. I can move this by hand and haul it around with as much brush as you can put on it with the JD 2305.

WooHOO doncha love getting that many splits from a round?

Nice load man, Merry firewood Christmas! Hey, you got snow, that's cheating!

Last year we got six inches on Christmas day, that was just lovely wicked cool spiffy neat I thought.

Some folks don't like dealing with rounds that heavy. But you get nothing but solid wood with the big stuff. It started snowing when I picked up the wood. It is amazing how slippery 1" of snow gets for the bucket tractor in an alphalfa field.:msp_ohmy:

in my eyes you can never hace too big of a trailer.but there is a fine line as to when one it too big for your tow vehical. I have a 16' equipment trailer fully loaded it pushes my ram to the limit . but will pull the dump trailer fully loaded just fine.I guess am saying do not but a trailer you cannot pull.

Is your Ram a gasser? I haven't began to test the limits of my Cummins with the 8' bed loaded (about 6' with the box) and the trailer heaping of splits....

Heading uphill, she's not squatting. :msp_razz:
cbcce5dc.jpg

Is your Ram a gasser? I haven't began to test the limits of my Cummins with the 8' bed loaded (about 6' with the box) and the trailer heaping of splits....

Heading uphill, she's not squatting. :msp_razz:
cbcce5dc.jpg

WOW!!!! The weight in that truck is nothing compared to the weight of that trailer.:msp_ohmy:

Ya it was a bunch, but I bought that truck to haul wood, and those trucks are made to pull weight.

The biggest challenge is stopping that kind of load. My trailer has brakes, but I still have to give myself plenty of room. 45mph tops.

Ya it was a bunch, but I bought that truck to haul wood, and those trucks are made to pull weight.

The biggest challenge is stopping that kind of load. My trailer has brakes, but I still have to give myself plenty of room. 45mph tops.

What size brakes do you have? Brakes on both axles? Looks like it might be two 3500lb axles?

Back