do I need a new oil pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megunticook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm running a Husqvarna 55 Rancher I bought new in 2004. Just used for cutting 3-4 cords of firewood each winter, mixed hardwoods. Overall very happy with the saw.

Last couple times I used it when I went to refill the oil reservoir it seemed like it was fuller than normal. I always top off oil when I refuel, and the last couple tankfulls when I went to top off oil the reservoir was probably 3/4 full.

Also seemed like the chain looked a little dry. I cleaned the slot in the bar thoroughly and also the area on the head around the sprocket and oil pump. But that didn't seem to help.

Time to replace the oil pump? Anything else to look at? I presume this is not too terrible a job (I replaced the cylinder/head assembly a few years back so I'm not afraid to tear into it).

Thanks.

Look on the bottom of the saw near the oiler, there should be an adjustment screw to allow for more oil, try that first and take the bar off and make sure everything is nice and cleaned out.

Look on the bottom of the saw near the oiler, there should be an adjustment screw to allow for more oil, try that first and take the bar off and make sure everything is nice and cleaned out.
Thanks I'll try the adjustment screw. I cleaned everything well before but I'll do it again just to be sure.

Should I idle the saw with bar removed and look to see oil flowing out of the hole?

Thanks I'll try the adjustment screw. I cleaned everything well before but I'll do it again just to be sure.

Should I idle the saw with bar removed and look to see oil flowing out of the hole?
The way I normally do it is leave the bar and chain on and run it half speed and point the bar at the ground and you should be able to see a line of oil spraying off of the chain after 10-15 seconds

It had maybe half a tank of conventional weight Husqvarna bar & chain oil in it from before, I topped it off with the Husqvarna Winter grade and have been refilling it with that ever since. But it hasn't been that cold here when I've been cutting, been mostly in the forties.

Today I removed the bar, cleaned everything up real well again including the bar groove and holes. I idled it briefly without the bar on and could see oil flowing slowly out of the hole. Maybe not enough pressure?

Then I bucked up an ash tree I'd felled the other day. I tried running the saw an pointing the tip at a light-colored rock to see if I could see any sign of oil mist/spatter. Couldn't really see anything on the rock. I bucked the tree, saw worked fine. When was done I put the saw on the bench and checked fluids. Fuel was almost all gone, but again oil reservoir looked 3/4 full.

Again chain looked dry.

So does that mean either the oil pump needs to be replaced or there's something partially blocking the pickup tube?

Any chance you changed to different (thicker) bar oil?

might be time to disassemble the oiler and its lines, they will get sawdust and dirt in them that will obstruct their ability to pick up oil and pump. Hope this hlps

That sounds like the next step. If I take the time to do all that, are there any wear parts I ought to replace while I'm in there? Saw is 16 years old...

Have you ever rinsed out the oil tank with kerosene ?
Yes, I try to do that and the fuel tank every spring but this year I may not have gotten around to it (was playing around with a new Husqvarna cordless saw so the Rancher didn't see much use--until the battery and/or charger proved unreliable).

Yes, I try to do that and the fuel tank every spring but this year I may not have gotten around to it (was playing around with a new Husqvarna cordless saw so the Rancher didn't see much use--until the battery and/or charger proved unreliable).
Flushing the tank is a necessary and good first step but it won't remove crud already stuck in the pump. Also check that the tank vent valve is clear or flush with WD-40.

Yeah flush the tank and access and clean the filter.
Run some mix or atf in the oil tank at idle with the bar off with a couple of brief revs to flush out the pump.

Thanks everyone, will empty/rinse the oil tank then disassemble and clean the pump and pickup tube.
Just curious, I looked everywhere for an oiler adjustment screw but I don't think this saw has one.
Will report back.

in the oilers i have taken apart the pump is the cutout in the main shaft, the body of the pump housing is the bearing/support for the pump. if either are worn a little the oil flow volume will suffer, any o rings should be replaced to prevent air leaks. check for trash where the spring seat is in the pump body, if it has one the bb used as a valve can deform its seat and cause all kinds of flow issues same if the seat has trash/varnish/pitting or even pitting on the surface of the bb. I would use the little straw that comes with spray cans as a feeler in the shaft bore, to see if it catches on wear areas.

Thanks everyone, will empty/rinse the oil tank then disassemble and clean the pump and pickup tube.
Just curious, I looked everywhere for an oiler adjustment screw but I don't think this saw has one.
Will report back.

55 has no pump adjustment

So I'm thinking I should have any replacement parts on hand before I go tearing into this. Would a "pump assembly" from husqvarna have everything I need, or should I get more?

Ugh, I've spent more time fussing with this Rancher the past couple years than I did the first 14 years total. But it's a good saw, worth getting everything right on her.

Welcome mid-coaster......If I recall correctly when you try to take this pump apart you'll find the worm gear that has to come off is a press fit to the crank shaft.....you will be stopped if you don't have a puller for this. I bought the Husky unit but if I recall you can get it done with a 3/4" pipe coupling which will haffazzed thread onto the worm and you can use the clutch to thread onto the shaft to pull with. You may need some washers as shims. But it can be done on the homemade side.

Here is a vid that shows what you'll need to do it a slightly different way........and probably a better way than I described. But without this you won't get the pump apart..........jus thought I'd mention this....as no one else mentioned it........and it sucks to just get going and fetch up...haaard....!!
Husqvarna 51, 55 Worm Gear Removal.... Make Your Own Puller! - Bing video

Latest posts

Back