Do local dealers or internet reseller's offer Stihl chainsaw discounts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of my local dealers will give you a discount for paying in cash, it is not a great big discount but it is a discount none the less. The more you shop with one dealer the higher the chances of getting some kind of freebies.

+1 on every count. However, I will say when I bought my first saw there to now, get more of a discount and more "throw-ins". But they know now, that is pretty much on the only place I shop.

I deal with 2 dealers at home. One stihl dealer at the co op and they always offer discounts. I got a brand new 440 last summer for $660 plus tax. They are the cheapest stihl dealer around without going over into va for a good ways. The husky dealer is a great guy and always gives a discount also. Got a 576 last summer from him for $675 plus tax.

Last edited:
where are you located and what price have you been given? i get a heck of a deal from my dealer since i spend a few hundred a week there buying saw parts, off road fuel, other odds and ends. so when i go in for saws the manager tends to cut the price deaply.

i was under the impression that stihl doesn't authorize INTERNET sales ?

i had to go through a 3rd party to import my saw to australia from the US.

oh and for the record it came out nearly half what the RRP here is.

Last edited:
Good post Ric, even here in a very small country I know that a particular dealer in Dublin get's a better discount than my local dealer which is only around 25miles from each other.
The list price for a 441 is around €1025 with the best price of €980 but just to really mess up the local dealers I can get a 660 from England for €680 !The best I could get a 362 localy was €760 enter the English dealer at €518 !! Not much wonder the Irish dealers are not happy. By the way I did'nt purchase any of those saws but other guys did.

Out of US its even more interesting.

Last year a freind in germany sent me money and I bought him a new 362 and a 460 and shipped both to him from here near Seattle
for what he woud have paid for the 460 alone in Duetchland. :msp_smile:

Last year a freind in germany sent me money and I bought him a new 362 and a 460 and shipped both to him from here near Seattle

coincidently a bloke that lives over the back of me just ordered a 362 from the US just this morning. think he said it was gonna cost him about $780aud local ( the list here is abuot $1400aud iirc) landed.

I guess it pays to be loyal to a good dealer. Last year I bought a leftover 361 for $570. I bought my dad a new 362 for christmas for just over $380. No I am not making this up. We do a LOT of business through this dealer through work. I bought a new HT131 earlier this year for $100 off list. They take care of me when it comes to my personal equipment and they treat us right when buying for work as well. I guess the 361 wasn't the cheapest deal, but it was more than made up for on my last few purchases. I will not go any other place for my needs. Find a good dealer and stick with them. It is worth it.

Something else just crossed my mind, but since it was a naked lady on roller skates it does not have much to do with chainsaws. Oh yeah, something else too. Check with different sales people within the same store, some of these folks work on commission. You may find yourself a better deal if you run across someone who has had a very good day or just trying to get his/hers sales numbers up. When I was considering a new MS390 one of the salesman offered to knock off 30 bucks if I had cash and the other would not budge off MSRP. I ended up finding a used saw instead but I still hang on to the one saleman's card.

i was under the impression that stihl doesn't authorize INTERNET sales ?

i had to go through a 3rd party to import my saw to australia from the US.

oh and for the record it came out nearly half what the RRP here is.

They Don't authorize internet or phone sales and even frown on sales out of the dealers area.

You say you got a saw for half price, so what was it? when I looked at buying my newest ms660 in january it worked out that by the time I had gotten the saw delivered to my door and to the same specs as what I could buy one here it worked out I would have saved about $150, I didn't consider that to be enough to forfeit 2 yrs warranty and dealer backup.

That said however I am looking at a solo 656 which at the moment I have seen on fleabay for $650 US (about $610 aussie) and the same saw through a local dealer is $1200 aussie dollars. I would gladly surrender my warranty in this case and buy 2. It seems to be more apparent on the smaller saws than the larger ones by what I have seen.

Anyone want to be a third party for me...lol?

That is cause since the GFC the german government is kicking back nearly 50% to any sales a german company makes OUTSIDE of germany. so where the german consumer has to pay full price those outside of germany get cheaper (supposedly) prices due to the fact that the companies are getting half of the price substituted by the government, hence the fact that prices on stihl went through a big slashing a while back cause they just wanted to pump the market. I am not sure if this has ended now though, but it was definetly the case and I have seen the results as with my work we import machinery from belgium and our nearest competitor comes out of germany, and their (the competitor) prices have been dropped by a quarter to a third at least (which is quite a bit when you are talking $400,000 machines), all due to the german stimulus package, which has made things hard for us to compete with.

just to add, finding a good dealer is key. funny thing is the closest one to me is my goto stihl dealer. i get 10% off on everything and great service. its not a big discount but it adds up.

just to add, finding a good dealer is key. funny thing is the closest one to me is my goto stihl dealer. i get 10% off on everything and great service. its not a big discount but it adds up.

10% is not a big discount in the eyes of the consumer, but on the dealer end 10% is a considerable chunk of change. If I gave everyone a 10% discount it would take a whoooooole lot longer to expand and grow the business to offer everything that everyone wants. The discount you get is big considering you get it on everything, not just a sale here and there. Enjoy it! :cheers:

Right now is probably the time to start buying anything Stihl related. There's a national marketing campaign called "dealer days" and runs for about 2 months. So during that stretch, each dealer decides what kind of specials they want to promote.

They Don't authorize internet or phone sales and even frown on sales out of the dealers area.

You say you got a saw for half price, so what was it? when I looked at buying my newest ms660 in january it worked out that by the time I had gotten the saw delivered to my door and to the same specs as what I could buy one here it worked out I would have saved about $150, I didn't consider that to be enough to forfeit 2 yrs warranty and dealer backup.

Anyone want to be a third party for me...lol?

i got an ms261 local rrp 1300AUD cost me all up $714.

as for the 2 year warranty, you could argue you could just but another saw if its a lemon. and will still come out ahead given you will have all the parts from the original saw to maintain the new one!

as for your 660 i see em listed locally about 2k and in the US 1k, add say shipping of $200 and gst as its over 1k of $100 and theres a $700 difference there, and thats going on parity, you will do even better give the exchange rate is about 1.06 atm!

Last edited:
I brought a little ms170 when they were having a big special on most saws. The bloke behind the counter worked out that he had to sell 10 at the special price to make back the same money as he would selling 3 at the normal price.

The kicker for me is most of the local dealers charge over retail for parts. If the guy gives you 10-15 off parts it's still retail. There is always copies of the price books floating out there with different prices the dealers have and retail. I seem to find them when googling part #'s.

You want a saw... just go buy the friggin' thing. It's not like you're buyin' a new car or truck. If I had a cat walk into my saw shop wantin' to "haggle" on a new saw... I'd tell him where the door is.

Meh...

Some saw shops will throw stuff in. Some won't. I know the shop I go to also has a "customer loyalty" type of deal. Last new saw I bought from them they knocked 50 bucks off the top. Since it was probably the 4th saw I've bought new from them over the years.

Gary

I just bought a ms362 new at a rentals company. It is a great saw. Plenty of power for any job. Anyways rentals unlimited was able to take off 8% of the msrp. It turned out to be $630 and then I bought the ultra gas mix for 10$ and they extended the warranty a year to 2 years for free. It is a great saw tho.

When I bought my 441, I shopped around a while by going to whichever Stihl dealer happened to be near whichever route I was taking to go somewhere. Over the course of several weeks, this worked out to four dealers. Two were just Stihl places, one was a hardware-type store [neighborhood, not big box, of course]. All four were fairly close in price, the spread maybe fifty bucks.

Then I stopped in at one more and he was almost a hundred bucks less. I left the place with a new 441 in my hands. I've been back since for bars, chains, etc.

Latest posts

Back