Do modded saws need modded carbs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently did a porting job on a cylinder for Husqvarna 353, slightly more aggressive than stock but nothing too crazy. This week I added a muffler mod to the saw and now it seems like It's starting to run out of tuning range on the high end.
The low end is fine, just over half a turn and it's happy, the high end is a different story. One and a half turns so that it's at the point where it's still reasonably rich enough to keep from burning out, and the plug looks okay so far.
The saw is still breaking in, and it seems like it keeps on getting hungrier the more I use it. I'm afraid I'm going to be running out of tuning range on the high end. Lots of revs, lots of power, and lots of fuel consumption to go with it.
Has anybody had the problem with a modded saw that they actually had to switch carbs or mod it to keep up with the increased fuel demand?

It depends on the level of modification. But in general terms of just porting a saw, a carb mod. is not usually required. If you start adding additional mods, muffler, air filter, BigBore you may find that a larger carb will allow for a more free and higher reving saw.
The only scenario I can see were a larger carb is absolutely necessary is if you are running some other kind of fuel, such as pure Ethanol with Nitro!

1 and 1/2 turns out on the high needle and the last half turn seemed to make only a little difference, the main reason for my concern. It seems like there's very little left in potential flow on the high side.
I'm going to have to check if I can find any bottlenecks in the fuel system that would limit flow. The saw goes through a tank of fuel pretty quick, it empties in half the time than the oil tank which has the pump turned to max, and easily oils the 18 inch bar I'm using when it's burried in hardwood.
I will also check out the pump diaphragm, can't remember if I had the plastic one in there.

Latest posts

Back