Do new saws really get better after a few tanks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassmantweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Didn’t want to derail another thread that was discussing the stihl MS261 vs another saw.

just bought the ms261 and I am a little underwhelmed by it. I also have a husky 460 but was looking for something a little lighter. Before the 460 I had the rancher 55 which was amazing just my opinion

The 261 @ 50cc’s just can’t compare to the extra 10 cc’s on the husky. I’m a little bummed as I was expecting the same power from the stihl. I guess you can’t fake displacement.

I have been told the ms261 takes a few tanks to warm up.

It should get better, but I was not impressed with them in stock form or muffler modded.
I have an earlier version that's been ported and its a nice runner.
My favorite 50cc saw running an 18x325 is a late model 550mk1, nice and light and no problem pulling the 18" buried if needed, I don't do that often though.
I'd still probably run the 261 with an 18 over the 460 rancher for most jobs, give it a minute and see how she does, then report back :).

My 461 was noticeable when it was fully broken in.

You expect to much from the 261, i.e. trying to compare it to a 460. Compare it to a 290, 291, or even a 391 and then it is an impressive 50cc saw.
He's talking about a 460 rancher, the MS391 probably has more power ;).

From what I've read and seen/heard from the YouTube builders I follow, the saw will wake up once the rings full seat, which will bump up your compression. Whether you actually notice the change will depend on you and how much your saw really changes.

It should get better, but I was not impressed with them in stock form or muffler modded.
I have an earlier version that's been ported and its a nice runner.
My favorite 50cc saw running an 18x325 is a late model 550mk1, nice and light and no problem pulling the 18" buried if needed, I don't do that often though.
I'd still probably run the 261 with an 18 over the 460 rancher for most jobs, give it a minute and see how she does, then report back :).
My favorite 50cc saw is the ole Binford, 254XS with 20" 3/8 ;)

I'm sure the 550 has better AV.

I see. I had a Husky 460 for less then a year. It was pretty impressive, and it ran a 24" B&C really well.
Not a bad saw for firewooding, but a 462 weighs about the same if cash isn't an issue, and since my saws make me money it isn't :).
Stihl MS391 14.1lbs at 4.1hp MSRP $629
Husky 460 13.2lbs at 3.62hp MSRP $569
MS462. 13.0lbs at 6hp MSRP $1129
MS261. 10.8lbs at 4hp MSRP $619

My favorite 50cc saw is the ole Binford, 254XS with 20" 3/8 ;)

I'm sure the 550 has better AV.
Yeah, but that's a "fat" 50cc saw(54cc), the dolmar 5105 or the husky 550mk2 are both in that class performance wise and chunky for a 50cc saw. The 550mk2 handles the best, has the best AV, has flippy caps, has side tensioner, and gets great fuel economy, I still would rather have the late model mk1 for limbing ;).
And yes, both are smoother :p.
I like them too, but that dang front tensioner :baba:.

Yeah, but that's a "fat" 50cc saw(54cc), the dolmar 5105 or the husky 550mk2 are both in that class performance wise and chunky for a 50cc saw. The 550mk2 handles the best, has the best AV, has flippy caps, has side tensioner, and gets great fuel economy, I still would rather have the late model mk1 for limbing ;).
And yes, both are smoother :p.
I like them too, but that dang front tensioner :baba:.

I was holding a 550mk2 at the local dealer. I've heard so many good things about that saw, especially after ported. I just can't get over the looks at the 5-series saws.

Maybe one day I'll like how they look. While aesthetics don't matter to most when talking saws, they do to me. It's like cars/trucks, they all get the job done, but some just look better doing it (like Fords, cough).

:)

I was holding a 550mk2 at the local dealer. I've heard so many good things about that saw, especially after ported. I just can't get over the looks at the 5-series saws.

Maybe one day I'll like how they look. While aesthetics don't matter to most when talking saws, they do to me. It's like cars/trucks, they all get the job done, but some just look better doing it (like Fords, cough).

:)
You'd better get that cough looked at:laughing:.

Pull the spark arrestor and let it breathe. When i bought my 361 i ran about 6 tanks of gas through it. Then brought it back and he adjusted it ok n a tach. He set it and i brought it back a few months later and he sped it up a bit more and was ok with it. I had the screw back out and the spark arrestor screen blew out and it runs like a race saw now.
With the new mtronik crap . I think you're going to see immediate results, but that as good as it gets.

Just pull the screen and let the mtronik set itself

Didn’t want to derail another thread that was discussing the stihl MS261 vs another saw.

just bought the ms261 and I am a little underwhelmed by it. I also have a husky 460 but was looking for something a little lighter. Before the 460 I had the rancher 55 which was amazing just my opinion

The 261 @ 50cc’s just can’t compare to the extra 10 cc’s on the husky. I’m a little bummed as I was expecting the same power from the stihl. I guess you can’t fake displacement.

work it hard for at least 10 tanks. thats what i have found with my 462 500 and 661. my new 400 seems quite gutless compared to the 462 and theres only a few cc;s in it. but just have to run more tanks thru the 400 to break it in and get the torque out of it. :)

The 261 is just a limbing saw so don’t expect a huge amount of power. I was surprised how much difference 10cc’s makes between my ms 260 and my 034 Super. I have noticed a difference in saws I have rebuilt. They run pretty crappy until they have had good load and a few tanks through them. Some won’t even tune good until then either.

you can tell when the rings seat because it will run leaner requiring a fuel adjustment on the high needle, I built a 390 that took a tank then required adjustment then a second adjustment 3 tanks later and will likely need another the next time i put 2-3 tanks through it in a afternoon. The thing just keeps gaining grunt as the cabers square off against the cylinder. Stihl ring edges come very square, they are very sharp so they take several tanks to wear into the cylinder to fully seal. You won't really notice it running that saw exclusively but once you break it in then pick up the other saws and run them you will.

I have put maybe 4-5 tanks through my 572xp and I can already tell a pretty decent difference. It does have the auto tune electronics though that is supposed to optimize the mixture and whatnot and not sure how long that would take to do it’s thing while it’s breaking in. On my smaller Stihl saws I haven’t noticed too much of a difference with the power break in, but then again, I’m not bucking logs or felling with them so I don’t think it would be as noticeable anyways.

I was pretty unimpressed with my 261 when it was new. My very first brand new carry out the store saw. Then after a few tanks it started making me smile....few tanks more and it was like wow...this thing rips.

Pretty much same thing with my 462. Obviously, a lot more power there to begin with, but she still pulls harder now than it did in the beginning.

500i is still pretty early in it's life but she rips...I can't wait till that's broke in fully...

Latest posts

Back