Do we need to have a Georgia GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! Man, lookit that wood grabbin buggy, slick!

Mine looks like..a skinny neogeezers arms.....hehehehe dual grapples! Off road capability! Amphibious! Comes with saw and fiskars attachments for full processing!

I think yours can tote a scosh more weight... ;)

I borrowed that grapple from a buddy and need to get it back to him. Sure would like to keep it though. I'm in the midst of fabricating one but it's going slow. It's a pretty amazing tool. That's a heavy duty one and probably between 4K and 6K for a new one. El Cheapo versions go for about $1700. (the Bobcat however, belongs to me)

looks like ya have enough for a week long GTG. :rock:

Good. Don't want to run out of stuff to cut.
I will just cut whatever's left into firewood. Or let Warpig6 mill it into something. If time allows, we'll cut some cants but lots of stuff needs to be done. I've spent quite a bit of time amassing that wood collection. I have about two more trailer loads of logs I hope to bring in this week as I have to move them off a construction site anyway. I believe I can put my mitts on about 10 feet of large log. Should know about that before the day is out.
Right now I have an airstrip to mow so that's going to keep me busy a while (2,700 feet long)

Plenty of logs..........

Do you have any soft wood for the fast saws to race in? Everyone wants to race..........except me.

They're cutting down hundreds of pines right now but most of them are leaving on trucks...
Pine is usually readily available. Around here Pine, Oak and Gum are the predominant trees. Of those, only the pine is a softwood.

Ok, my potential "big wood" source locally fell through. The large tree trunk I thought I was going to be able to get has already been cut into logs and spoken for. hsell apparently has some big stuff he can bring. In the meantime I have my radar operating and I'm on the lookout...

Ok, my potential "big wood" source locally fell through. The large tree trunk I thought I was going to be able to get has already been cut into logs and spoken for. hsell apparently has some big stuff he can bring. In the meantime I have my radar operating and I'm on the lookout...

I'm on it

Race??? I don't have a chance in a race, but I will run every saw that Randy brings......and some that he doesn't. As for the wood, if you are talking about that year's worth of firewood you have there then call it a charity firewood cut/GTG. I wouldn't have any issue with that. Now for the important stuff.......FOOD. What do you want us to bring/fix?

Shea

About the 1st of Sept, I will start putting together a list of those that intend to come. As far as food, we will have pulled pork bbq with buns to put it on, maybe some hotdogs for the grill, and then we will have people sign up to bring stuff like potato salad, baked beans, chips, Brunswick stew etc. Desserts (cookies, brownies and other finger foods)
We will have a 5 gal cooler of lemonade, a stock of soft drinks, ice water, etc.
we have already acquired plates, bowls, plastic silverware, cups, napkins, table cloths, etc. We can also supply condiments such as ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.
We'll need some help with the requisite iced tea as we're northerners and don't do tea. So maybe a several people can bring a jug or two of that.
As stated in the first post (where I will continue to add details) this is going to be an non alcoholic event but there will be plenty of assorted beverages to keep people hydrated.
Some activities I envision:
Primary activity will be the opportunity for people to cut with brands, models and types of saws and chains they are unfamiliar with.
Opportunity to run modded saws
Eating
Getting a chance to meet people you only know from the internet.
Buying and selling chainsaws. (Georgia sales tax will need to be collected) Ok, not really.
People may have an opportunity to learn chain sharpening techniques
I have an Alaskan mill and some may enjoy giving that a try (it's not all that fun...)
Glider rides and perhaps airplane rides will be available
(This event will be held at a grass airstrip)
We have about half a dozen planes here that may be of interest for some to look at (2 flyable, 4 projects)
There may be chainsaw races if someone can come up with some cants.
Did I mention eating?

About the 1st of Sept, I will start putting together a list of those that intend to come.

Brunswick stew etc. Desserts (cookies, brownies and other finger foods)

We'll need some help with the requisite iced tea as we're northerners and don't do tea. So maybe a several people can bring a jug or two of that.- Thank You for being Upfront

Opportunity to run modded saws-

Eating

Buying and selling

People may have an opportunity to learn chain sharpening techniques

I have an Alaskan mill and some may enjoy giving that a try (it's not all that fun...)

There may be chainsaw races if someone can come up with some cants.
- Working in it

Did I mention eating?

Another GTG activity I can see as being useful would be splitting wood by hand. Everyone brags about their special tool for the task and probably many have wondered if they really work that well and want to know but don't want to lay out the bucks.
If we have a big pile of rounds and dozen different brands/styles of mauls and axes, that would give individuals a chance for side by side comparisons of the different options.
I thought of this today while splitting some wood by hand. I brought out my Fiskars 27 and the Monster Maul. I have really been trying to fall in love with the Fiskars but find myself using it less and less...
It is a good design and on some woods it is the cat's pajamas but "on average" it is slower and more work. The keys to being really happy with the Fiskars (in my opinion) is that you need straight grained wood and it needs to be short. For those burning the pine/spruce/fir type wood it would probably be great. We push that in a pile and burn it with the brush around here. So for gum, oaks, beech, hickory, pecan, and so forth, some of these woods split ok with the Fiskars but many say "no". The monster maul doesn't like to hear that word.
So anyway, all that diatribe to say I can have both available at the GTG and let people draw their own conclusion. I also have other mauls as well. Those of you coming, bring your favorite (if it's something you would let someone try) and we'll see.

Another GTG opportunity. See different types of PPE in use. Especially chaps and forestry pants, Having them "in hand" can be more useful than looking at internet pics. Also seeing some that have been in use and have wear on them can show their strengths and weaknesses. Also, can help you know what size you should order.

If someone wants to bring chitlins, go ahead but they're not on the menu. Did you miss the part about "we're northerners"?
Yeah, I read that you were a yankee and did not know how to make sweet tea, but you said that you liked to eat and I figured that you must need an education in good southern food.

:D:ices_rofl:

I'm fully educated in southern food. Just had a different outcome than many locals. We've been here about 16 years but that's not long enough for chitlins. (or collard greens or boiled okra or chicken livers) Just ya'll bring your saws, save the chitlins for later. lol.

Latest posts

Back