Do you have an electronic chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Compared with gas-powered chainsaws, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

So we all know that electricity is a more eco-friendly resource and there are some states that have a law to limit gas-powered equipment, why there are so many gas-powered types of equipment exist now?

You should change your title to electric or battery powered. While I use lots of rechargeable tools, chainsaws are not one of them. Someone with a small yard maybe, but when I need to cut, it’s usually fairly large stuff. Bigger the better.

Well I do have an electric pole saw if that counts! Have only used it a few times so far and seems to work fine for that purpose. It's a 20 volt Dewalt.

So we all know that electricity is a more eco-friendly resource and there are some states that have a law to limit gas-powered equipment, why there are so many gas-powered types of equipment exist now?
I've got a tiny top handle Makita 18v. It's good for trimming branches or for shortening a few pieces of firewood that are too long for the stove. Its quiet so it doesn't disturb the neighbours.

While it has its merits, it's not any kind of replacement for a gas saw for felling and bucking -- and I've never seen a battery chainsaw that is. They are convenient and a little safer than higher-powered saws; but they don't have much runtime and their power to weight ratio isn't good. They don't do so well below freezing and I'm sceptical about their reliability in the rain.

Now, that said, I think it's probably the majority of chainsaw owners who have a chainsaw just for light duty trimming and storm cleanup around a suburban yard. If that's what you want a chainsaw for, a good battery model will do the job and is easier on the ears, hands, and lungs. They also require less maintenance.

(I doubt it's actually any better for the environment as a whole -- but legislators in some jurisdictions seem to think otherwise.)

(I doubt it's actually any better for the environment as a whole
It has been over an hour since I took the above picture and then removed the battery from the charger and it is still drawing 1.3 watts.

Edit: Today the kill o watt meter is drawing / showing 1.6 to 1.8 watts with nothing plugged in. My apologies to Husqvara, I don't know how much their charger draws empty.

Only if your buying new....
The majority of folks buy new, otherwise the saw manufacturers would go out of biz.

I can see a flurry of activity right before the cut-off date

Super nutty imo & best discussed in the Pol forum...will it come to Interstate searches for saws coming in from neighboring states ? :laugh:

I have a little electric saw I use for climbing and trimming at the chipper.

It's nice for climbing because I don't have to fuddle with choke, prime, recoil start, warmup, etc. I unlock the brake on the electric saw and pull the trigger. I also feel it is more forgiving than a gas saw when it comes to nipping a rope or lanyard. The chain spins slower (but it has more torque from that electric motor) so it would not have the same potential to cut through a rope from incidental contact. Just my opinion and reasoning. However I will admit I've had to go down for a fresh battery without a groundie there. Thank God for SRT.

I also use it when I'm chipping because I don't have a huge chipper and occasionally something needs a trim before going in. It's so rare I don't want to run a cold saw at full throttle for one quick branch and then shut it down. Too much wear on a gas engine and again, its nice just to pull the trigger and not mess with pull cord and all that jazz for one cut.

I have a little electric saw I use for climbing and trimming at the chipper.

It's nice for climbing because I don't have to fuddle with choke, prime, recoil start, warmup, etc. I unlock the brake on the electric saw and pull the trigger. I also feel it is more forgiving than a gas saw when it comes to nipping a rope or lanyard. The chain spins slower (but it has more torque from that electric motor) so it would not have the same potential to cut through a rope from incidental contact. Just my opinion and reasoning. However I will admit I've had to go down for a fresh battery without a groundie there. Thank God for SRT.

I also use it when I'm chipping because I don't have a huge chipper and occasionally something needs a trim before going in. It's so rare I don't want to run a cold saw at full throttle for one quick branch and then shut it down. Too much wear on a gas engine and again, its nice just to pull the trigger and not mess with pull cord and all that jazz for one cut.
How many hours run time before a recharge? And how long to recharge fully?

Actually, it is highly debatable that electric chainsaws are more eco-friendly, when the pollution of the batteries is taken into account, and the fact that fossil fuels are used to generate electricity anyway. But the electric saws are convenient for some light yardwork, where the instant startup is helpful. They also can go for years without use with no damage. Gas engines have to be run more frequently to avoid gum build-up. But gasoline has about 18 times the energy storage capacity as batteries, so it is better for serious jobs.

How many hours run time before a recharge? And how long to recharge fully?
50 minutes to recharge if you get a charger matched to the battery, the next generation battery that fits the charger might take 70 or 80 minutes.

Then you will want to be able to use that charge up in a fraction of that to hope to get say 2 hp. .3 to .5 on the charger and 1.5 kw is 2 hp.

NOTHING battery powered is ECO FRIENDLY!!!! The dead batteries end up in landfills and the material used to make them is deadly so how do you figure they are the way to go???? Ya gotta look behind the box on this subject!!
The whole save the planet,Green Agenda and all this stuff is a lie to make Corporations rich! They dont really seem to care when you look at all the toxic chemicals they make,use and put in our food. I will stay with Gas power!

I made this video years ago when I found an old Dolmar chainsaw in the attic. I had no kickback safety so I mounted it on this saw table and fitted a red metal protection shield over the blade. Mains powered it actually worked well for work around my house. The little Portek splitter did the job as well and it was also mains powered.

I have shown this video before of my latest splitter but at the beginning I use a Stihl 220 to cut up the tree.Obviously not as powerful as a gas saw but in my case where both my wrists are bad with arthritis, it really hurts to pull start a gas saw and to use an axe. I have two batteries which are as expensive as the saw and one charges while using the other. I have an inverter on the Telehandler to do the charging. Not for everyone but it all works for me and I would not be doing any woodwork without my electric saw.

Back