Do you have to "Break In" a new chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really doesn't matter that much. IMO

Think about it, when is the last time you heard an issue with a saw that was attributed to incorrect break in procedure? Probably never.

Do whatever makes you feel the best. There's ways to make the rings seat faster but continued use even at low load the rings will eventually fully seat, it just takes longer.

I know a guy that idles 2 full tanks through the saw never touching the throttle other than to get it out of high idle. He also 'takes it easy' on the saw for the first 10 tanks. His saws run just as long as mine do. I let mine warm up and put them in wood. Run them like I will their entire life. Neither of us have issues with low power or premature failure. It just simply doesn't matter that much. We still argue about who is right after a few beers though lol

Idling a saw for 2 tanks is about the dumbest break in advice one could offer. To many 'wives tale" theories on break-in and not enough rationale.
I don't disagree that it's a waste of time and gas. But it doesn't matter as far as the saw is concerned. His saws have the same power and seem last just as long as mine do.

We both got 462's about the same time brand new, he did his way I did mine. Both our saws have around the same run time, his a bit longer, and we're within 2 PSI on the same compression tester. Did mine gain compression faster than his? Maybe, not sure we didn't test them until they were both pretty broke in.

Same way as now...everyone has their own theory and no one had any problems no matter what they did.

Exactly- OWN theories, or that of a close buddy, or maybe on the advice of their local dealer tech- not the advice of a gazillion other "experts" that have apposing thumbs and access to a touch pad screen or keyboard.
My point was, pre internet there were not a lot of options to ask about such mysterious dark arts- post internet.......

the old owners manuals told you to double the oil to gas ratio for the first few tanks of gas and to avoid sustained full speed operation also to vary the throttle responce .The old chain saw chain manuals told you to oil chain heavy and allow the bar and chain to get meshed and avoid high speed operation for the first tank of fuel.
Kash

A fella hit it on the head a few posts ago. Better to have the saw kark it early in its career than later. Heck, they are run absolutely flat-out straight after they are assembled - for testing and initial tuning - unless things have changed recently.
Saw a colleague disappear WITH A BIG BANG in a big cloud of smoke one day while we were testing out in the open. That bloke was an expert in building what we called H****'s Destructo-Saws! He seemed to have mastered the art of never using clips on the little-ends. But that one was a beauty! I'll never forget the look on his face when the smoke cleared - just like a cartoon.

They're fairly high-revving motors, so everything is going to sort itself out pretty quickly, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back