Do you warm up your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pends on how cold it is out,,but 30 secs min,,real cold i let it warm up enough to where the exhaust is real hot

I always let engine warm up. I've seen too many excessively worn piston skirts due to cold use.

Sold a snowmobile a few years back. Full PSI 650 Polaris motor. It came back a week later because the guy basically started it at full throttle. Wore the skirts out in a week and snagged the intake port... ripped the skirt off... through a fireball back into the airbox and melted the whole sled down.

Always.

Even if its 100 degrees out. Pull saws outta the truck, file, fuel, oil, tighten chain, start, set down to idle, grab next saw. When I set the next one down, I shut the previous one off.

I pack mine in a box with hand warmers, god knows i don't need a seized saw....lol..

:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl: Good one!!!!!!!!

I always warm up a saw and cool it down as well. Doesn't take any time really, just let it idle for a couple mins on either end. I run diesels to much I guess......all motors work longer and better if warmed to operating temp before coming under full load. IMHO....:cheers:

Saws are like women, you wouldn't work your lady before it was warm and lubricated would you? Only difference is, my saw doesn't complain when I put it aside and grab a bite to eat.:smoking:

Here is a procedure that I do on all 2 strokes that I bet no one does;

I always turn the engine slowly until I feel that the motor has pulled a good amount of fuel in. i do it on my 3 wheeler,(usually 3 or 4 slow revolutions) and then one kick is all that is needed usually to start it. Saws that are used often the same, 3 or 4 slow revolutions to get everything coated before you go cranking on it to start it up. I don't know if it does anything to help, but it makes me feel better

I always turn the engine slowly until I feel that the motor has pulled a good amount of fuel in. i do it on my 3 wheeler,(usually 3 or 4 slow revolutions) and then one kick is all that is needed usually to start it. Saws that are used often the same, 3 or 4 slow revolutions to get everything coated before you go cranking on it to start it up. I don't know if it does anything to help, but it makes me feel better

Sounds like you've owned a motorcycle with a kicker! Seriously though, good practice to warm any engine. Pistons and cylinders are made with diff alloys, and cylinders usually have a hardened coating, plus cylinders are thicker and heavier where pistons are thin material. Pistons expand faster than cylinders, and this is why we have piston clearances and ring gaps. Allow any engine a few seconds to a few minutes (depending on ambient temperature) which give the cylinder and the piston time to expand.

I warm up my saws. Especially when the temps fall. A piston going up and down 13000 to 14000 times a minute seems like it could do some damage in a hurry on a cold engine. I would say most likely from rapid expansion of the piston versus the cylinder.

I ussually carry the saw over to the piece i want to cut. i then fasten a zip tie near the throttle. now i full choke it and wait for it to pop once. now i pull it again and when it starts i hold full throttle while i slide the zip tie into place and tighten. now i bury it into the wood and cut and cut and cut till it runs out of fuel........ worked great so far i can ussually get 2-3 tanks on a new saw before she pops.

My question is do you warm up your saw before you start cutting?
Yes, i do

Full choke until she pops, then fast idle for a bout 10 seconds, blip the throttle and let her idle for a while. Also before i put the saw into wood i usualy go slowly from half throttle to full throttle, and after that it's WOT all the way ...

In arguments like this I always like to refer to manufacturer's recommendations. I looked through every Dolmar and Husqvarna manual I had, and could not find anywhere that I should let the saw warm up before cutting. Just out of habit I would tend to do it anyway, but it seems that it is not much of a concern. I have never damaged anything while following manufacturer's instructions.

I always do that with the Macs before I switch the ignition on. Peace of mind for me, like you say it gets lube in before you light it up.

BTW, I always warm my saws before cutting. Cool down, not so much. I let it settle in to idle, then shut it down. They're already air cooled, it won't cool down any quicker running.

In this climate no. When I worked on the cold side of the state, we would keep one saw in the cab of the pickup on the way to the unit. When we got there, we'd start that saw, and then put the cold saws where they'd suck in the warm exhaust from the warm saw, get it started, and go on with other saws. Then we'd get to work.

I can't think of a single good thing that can come from not letting a saw (or any engine for that matter) warm up before putting a load on it.

Latest posts

Back