does 2-stroke oil quality matter. stihl hp ultra vs. dolmar synthetic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolute proof that one brand is better than another

It can be said that A brand has paid to have its oil tested and it passes a test.

It is not possible to say that brand "A" caused my engine to fail.

It is almost certainly contamination at maintenance time or build up in impurities that cause failures.

As a maintenance supervisor in a mining company. We all did reliability centered maintenance courses etc. etc.

The FAA, military and lots of others spend lots of money on investigating failures.

Modern filtration systems that plug into a machine while it is not being used or online "bypass" or kidney filtration systems remove particulates and moisture so that the oils are cleaner than when in the unopened bottle at the time you bought them.

http://www.precisionfiltration.com/products/iso-4406-cleanliness-code.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_centered_maintenance

Better still next time you open a bottle of engine oil look in the bottom and you will see tiny black soot like particles.

Many brands use a black bottle so you cant see this.

I obviously cant afford state of the art at home, but I can do best practice.

Clean the machine before opening any cap, plug etc. Clean any funnels and mixing equipment. clean hands clean tools. clean work bench.

Keep it clean is hard work, but it does pay off. there is no such thing as "normal wear and tear" just contamination related failure.

examples : leaking seals, worn shafts, bearing failures, corrosion (rust needs an electrical potential for the chemical reaction to happen so that is why cathodic protection works by opposing the electrical potential needed)
example the iron pillar in delhi which is between 1600 and 2800 years old depending on who you belive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_pillar_of_Delhi

XSTRATA proved cleaning machines and cleaning the oil in them this many times. during the last mining boom just before the GFC they improved the machine availability on the Caterpillar 797B fleet of 37 trucks these trucks spent less than 4800 hrs in the work shop per year the previous best was 23,000 hrs in the workshop.

This meant that the company had two extra trucks at all times hauling 345t of copper and gold for a two year period in the mining boom when you could not buy a truck and there was a world wide shortage of tires. (drivers got paid a bonus of $2000 at the end of the month if they did not damage any tires)

If they can do that in an open pit mine then we (myself included) can get better life out of our own equipment.

I used to laugh at engineers from japan that wore white gloves in "dirty" metal refineries.
I know realize they were better taught than me and doing a better job than me.

Last edited:
Been using Quaker State an Shell . Those little bottles with a saw name on them are pricey. No saw manufacturer has a refinery too .If they could can up gas an put there logo on it . They would sell that too . I choose these two brands .Because of there availablity an price .And been in business for around hundred years . Had no disappointments

i used to only use the orange bottle stihl till i found this site:dizzy: lol seriously the ultra does burn alot cleaner, and my mechanic swears by it:msp_rolleyes:

Back