Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ft. churchill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Several people have told me that they dispose of their used motor oil by pouring it ontop of there stacked, dry firewood. Supposed to increase the btu value of the firewood. Whaddya' think? :msp_confused:

Several people have told me that they dispose of their used motor oil by pouring it ontop of there stacked, dry firewood. Supposed to increase the btu value of the firewood. Whaddya' think? :msp_confused:

Lots of nasty stuff in used motor oil. I'm sure there are differing opinions, but there is no way would I put it in the wood stove. Besides, it would make the wood terribly messy to handle.

Wow I am really glad whoever does that isn't my neighbor! There is no way I would even entertain the idea of pouring motor oil on my wood stacks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Not a good idea. Not good on a whole bunch of different levels.

I'm sure we'll have somebody post who's "been doing it for years" and other than a nagging cough, black soot all over everything, an oily stench that permeates the whole house, and a marked spike in cancer rates for the area downwind, hasn't suffered any ill effects at all.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with burning oil, heck I've had plenty of trucks that burned oil. I am more concerned with teh mess it will make when dumping the oil on your wood.

I'm not a tree hugger but this is just a dumb idea.

That would smell nasty! Especially in a house. Not to mention not all of the wood is going to soak it up so some of it is going to go into the ground and pollute it.

That type of mentality is why their banning OWB in certain parts. When you have geniuses trowing tires and such in their burnners, of course neighbors are going to complain.

That type of mentality is why their banning OWB in certain parts. When you have geniuses trowing tires and such in their burnners, of course neighbors are going to complain.

Yeah, That is just nasty and makes a mess inside it anyway!

Yeah, That is just nasty and makes a mess inside it anyway!

Quick and dirty disposal system. No one wants to pay the turn-in fee. I didn't say I was in favor of it, but it happens. Most everyone outside the city has their infamous "down back" where all the crap they don't want ends up. I'm still cleaning up junk that the former owners "deposited" years ago so they didn't have to haul it to the county dump site.

Quick and dirty disposal system. No one wants to pay the turn-in fee. I didn't say I was in favor of it, but it happens. Most everyone outside the city has their infamous "down back" where all the crap they don't want ends up. I'm still cleaning up junk that the former owners "deposited" years ago so they didn't have to haul it to the county dump site.

Yeah, There is a lot of people like that. They just dump all there **** in the woods and stuff so now there is rotted and rusted junk everywhere. I don't know why they don't get there tires shreaded up and just use it for fill.

I tried a small amount and it stinks when you bring it in the house.

I now pour mine out across an asphalt parking area at the airport I mow at over and around the cracks, when it is wicked hot and sunny out. It just melts into the surface and does like a cobjob repair.

Decades ago on one ranch I worked at the owner saved his and soaked fenceposts in it. I personally wouldn't do this, but it did seem to slow down rot.

When I was first driving, up in the snow and rust belt, seems like at least half the people I knew used their old crankcase oil as rust proofing under the ride, just get it in a bucket, grab a paintbrush and slather it on.

I have seen several "waste oil" heaters, one was a wood heater that drip fed the oil right into the firebox, so it was a combo unit. That was at a garage that had a lot of used oil to get rid of (again, decades ago)

Of course only OWB guys have this mentality... By the way... Where was the OWB owners mentioned in the original post?

Another thought... Does the word TROLL ring a bell?

Of course only OWB guys have this mentality... By the way... Where was the OWB owners mentioned in the original post?

Another thought... Does the word TROLL ring a bell?

The OP, Ft Churchill, never even mentioned the word OWB, just firewood piles.

He's also one of our more helpful members, never causes trouble for anybody, and generally posts things that are useful and instructive.

He's a long way from being a TROLL.

Last edited:
Seems to me people are missing the point. It shouldn't smell , or smoke that bad. There are used oil burners everywhere, that are not as hot as our stoves. The real problem is when it runs down the wood pile to the ground, and into the water table. Especially the synthetic oil. I have herd that synthetic will slip by all the dirt and rocks. It doesn't stop until it hits the water table and spreads. Those are the idiots that spread all the bad cancer to Innocent children, and people in general. They should all be shot.
Who ever doe's this, knock it off! and smarten up!

Yeah, There is a lot of people like that. They just dump all there **** in the woods and stuff so now there is rotted and rusted junk everywhere. I don't know why they don't get there tires shreaded up and just use it for fill.

:agree2:

It is far cheaper to pay the dump fees than to have to clean up the mess that illegal dumping leaves behind.

Then there's the ecological consequences... and people think dump fees are expensive? :monkey:

:(

is that any less work than to pour it into a container and take it to a garage?

In my area it is free to recycle your used oil. There are a dozen or more free drop-off locations for used motor oil. When I have my truck serviced at my repair shop I leave it in the bed and they take care of it. I have the "owb mentality" and that to me is to use it as responsibly as possible so I can continue to enjoy it for years to come. That same "mentality" prevents me from burning anything (in the owb) that shouldn't be burned...i.e., oil. Most of us also get to enjoy some of the best water in the world, pumped right from under our homes. Why anyone would want to risk destroying that huge gift/blessing I will never understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back