Does anybody just check the plug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I got a pamphlet from Champion Spark Plug company that taught me how to read a sparkplug. It was very informative and had pictures along with verbage, I still have it somewhere. This dealt with four cycle car engines used in racing but most all of it still applies to high performance two cycle engines also. Knowing the basics of reading sparkplugs can save a engine no matter what kind of piston engine it is. I would go to Champion's website and see if they still have the info there.

According to that article my plug is perfect. I've always heard people say coco brown or something like that but with AvGas they seem to stay whiter an average.

For the last 30 years I have just adjusted the carb by sound and cut.Now after being on this site I have had to mod my mufflers,read everything I can about saws,check the plug and buy a tach.People at work think I'am nuts when I tell them I have a tach for my saws and they ask how many saws do you need.:givebeer:

i always do

With all the mods we discuss on a daily basis, does anybody but me just check the plug after an adjustment. I mean it truly tells the story, IMO better than the sound (which I use to get close).:popcorn:

i agree cmetal. been a mechanic for years and the plugs tell me where to go with repairs alot.:cheers:

wk poor. if thats the correct heat range plug you,ve got i,d say, looking at that colour on the insulator your running just a bit too lean but again i'm not sure what avgas does to plug reading but i would guess lean colour is lean no matter what your burning.
john d. it does sound like from what youve said that you my have had a partial seizure. you say your rings are worn. if this is so you my have had excess blowby past the inner edges of your rings this in turn heats up the piston skirt to excessive temp. this makes the skirt expand and then it contacts the cyl wall the result is the piston grinds to a halt!?

wk poor. if thats the correct heat range plug you,ve got i,d say, looking at that colour on the insulator your running just a bit too lean but again i'm not sure what avgas does to plug reading but i would guess lean colour is lean no matter what your burning.
Well I can say everything I used it in seems to need to be richened up. I have an antique tractor that will foul on pump gas repeatedly but run just like that plug I showed on AvGas.

For the last 30 years I have just adjusted the carb by sound and cut.Now after being on this site I have had to mod my mufflers,read everything I can about saws,check the plug and buy a tach.People at work think I'am nuts when I tell them I have a tach for my saws and they ask how many saws do you need.:givebeer:

Yep. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back