Does anyone else find it amazing how many people simply cannot sharpen a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Natey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hand sharpen of course. The more i think about it, the more i realize that of all the tree guys i know, only about 10% of them can actually sharpen a saw well. Now i like to thank im damn good at round filing, an ok at square filing, but i sharpened 6 saws every morning for three years, and then resharpened them throughout the day due to careless groundies. On a 5 man crew i was the only one who could sharpen a saw, (properly).

On another note, having to sharpen saws makes you a 10,000 time better saw man. I got to a point wear i could make a round filed stihl rsc chain last about three days cutting oak all day long on one sharpening.

I guess i dont really have a point, just useless banter.

I can't hand sharpen to save my life, mostly because I've not taken the time to get good at it. I found it more efficient to carry extra chains and change them throughout the day when I was cutting for a living. When I got home, I just hit them with the grinder.

I took a chainsaw course from a fellow that taught the Forestry Service advance falling techniques. He was very knowledgeable about dropping all sorts of trees; against the lean, rotten center, using a short bar, etc. However, when it came to sharpening a chain on site, he was terrible. If it wasn't for the chain grinder he had back at the shop he'd never have become the expert faller he was.

I agree with you OP. There are times when I have sharpened saws for the crew too. Here on AS members talk about porting and getting more power but in reality a sharp chain is the best thing a saw can have. The ability to sharpen in the field I guess really applies to a professional and not so much to a firewooder or a hobbyist.

I'll admit it, and hope you all will appreciate my honesty. I don't sharpen chains period, by hand or grinder.

I'll have extras on hand, and when I'm done doing what I'm doing, I just drop um off at the saw shop and pick um up a day or two later.

Always kind of wanted to learn, but it just never happened.

Not being able to sharpen is only half of it. What amazes me is the patience people have to muscle a dull saw through a piece of wood. I watched my neighbor take about a minute and a half to cut through some green 12-14 inch white ash. He acted as though it was just normal. I would have been embarrassed. I sharpen my chain as soon as I can tell it's slowing down some.

I have a grinder and a file although I am no good at filing. I do however have a retired father that loves to come to the woods with me that was a gunsmith for 30 years. He can run a file like it was made for him. He can keep a chain extremely sharp. Says the secret is dont dull it to much. I run one saw and he sharpens the other gases and oils it for when I run mine outta gas. Go grab the other. Makes for a long but very productive day for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried free hand filing and grinders years ago and it was just crap. Filed with a guide since but had to free hand file a chain last year without even a handle and it was almost perfect, surprised the hell out of me but managed to do it again since. I concentrated on keeping the file at the right height for the hook and let muscle memory do the rest. I use a guide by choice but it's handy to know I can, even with the wrong file

I've been getting a lot better, but It has taken quite a bit of practice. When I was younger I tried sharpening but I really didn't have any idea what I was supposed to be doing until a couple years ago someone actually showed me.

Your not born knowing how to sharpen a chain or a knife or even how to run a saw, everyone has been a greenhorn at one time.

It is pretty amazing how many don't, I've known a couple of professionals who get a couple of sharpens out of a new chain, after the third sharpening it's going all over the place or grabbing like a bugger, all different lengths and angles

I cannot stand to run a grinder sharpened chain, hand filed only by yours truly!

Man.......I absolutely hate hand filing....don't get me wrong, I'm pretty dang good at it. I only hand file chain for my trim saw.......all other's wait there turn at the grinder.

i don't find it all that surprising that the average joe can't sharpen a chain. The average joe can't sharpen a knife, a chisel, or even a pencil in most cases, and has no need to either. I am constantly amazed at how many full time pro tree crews can't sharpen though. Even greenhorn loggers can generally do a fair job of sharpening, and when it comes to experienced loggers, I've not yet met one who couldn't sharpen well. Tree guys on the other hand! Holy crap! they're not even interested in learning either, and this is a task they do every day. It's painful to watch a guy turn up on site with a brutally blunt saw, then flop the saw onto the back of the truck and pass a rusty file over it in a rudimentary fashion while holding the saw with the other hand, waiting for the hangover to subside. The resulting chain has every problem you'd care to name; not even sharp to begin with! cutters all different lengths, different top plate angles, different hook, different left to right, rakers way too high etc etc... It's embarrassing to watch.

Back