Does anyone have a American Splitter with hydraulic four way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawyer25

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking into splitters and the larger size american splitter and timberwolfs with the hyrdaulic wedges look like my best bet.

If you haven't done so already, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the Iron and Oak. I have one with a 4 way and its served me very well.

i have looked at them only a little bit do you know the prices of the model with hydraulic wedge with all the bells and whistles?

I feel like i would prefer the design of the American hydraulic 4 way splitter better because i already have a 25HH model. I also noticed the iron and oak commercial model dosent have a table option at the end of the splitter which i am looking for but it isn't a huge deal. And i have found the American splitters to have a bullet proof reputation which helps them hold their value if i ever ended up selling it. But i must say that iron and oak has me thinking because it looks like a nice design and product with more than likely cheaper price tag.

I feel like i would prefer the design of the American hydraulic 4 way splitter better because i already have a 25HH model. I also noticed the iron and oak commercial model dosent have a table option at the end of the splitter which i am looking for but it isn't a huge deal. And i have found the American splitters to have a bullet proof reputation which helps them hold their value if i ever ended up selling it. But i must say that iron and oak has me thinking because it looks like a nice design and product with more than likely cheaper price tag.

I was looking at the I/O commercial unit with log lift / 4 way. 22 or 30 ton, and a couple engine choices. All were in the $5600 -$6000 range from an online source and had free shipping. If I would have got closer to pulling the trigger I would have rented one from a local rental shop first to try it out, but I decided to try a Supersplit instead. (just ordered)

Last edited:
i found it to be around that price online as well. i have seen the supersplit but i don't think its right for me because i do deal with big and knoty wood regularly. I need something that will split anything i put in front of it and last a long time so it will be the last splitter i ever have to buy.

Not sure, but

Because of the wedge backer American uses with their 4-way, I don't believe they offer a hydraulic wedge option.

Other feature that helps a lot is having the hitch opposite the wedge so you don't have to move the pile of splits in order to move / reposition the splitter. This feature is standard on the commercial T'Wolfs and an option on upper end American models.

Take Care

American's Hydraulic 4-Way - AM-26HW splitter has a diiferent 4 way wedge system than on the other smaller models. This model also has the reverse hitch you mentioned and i agree it can be helpful when your not loading into a truck, bucket, conveyor....etc

splitter

American's Hydraulic 4-Way - AM-26HW splitter has a diiferent 4 way wedge system than on the other smaller models. This model also has the reverse hitch you mentioned and i agree it can be helpful when your not loading into a truck, bucket, conveyor....etc

buy the twolf or built right both great splitters just my 2 cents god bless our troops

As everyone in here says, not every splitter will make every person happy. It depends on their situation and set up. I personally don't see the need for the hydraulic 4 way. I think its an awful lot of money when you can just make your own spacers and change them out as needed. I made about 6 of various sizes but only switch them out once in a great while. On average, I split 65-75 cords a year.

Thats very true it is alot of money. Like i said before i already have the stationary 4 way wedge and it works but the hydraulic wedge sure would help out alot and it appears that it is a disapearing wedge which means i just lower it down all the way and it will just spilt 2 way which is very helpful compared to removing it. Im just looking for one of the best machines out there that isnt ridiculously over priced.

Greetings, All. I know it is an old thread, but it is totally new to me. As jrider said earlier, not every splitter will make every person happy. As far as the I&O goes, IMHO, I think the 4way wedge design is severely deficient and there are better choices. I like the large American and the powered 4 way.

I usually don't comment when I don't have anything good to say but that has to be the poorest design I've ever saw. The operator wasn't helping much either though. Maybe if he would have flipped the wedge the other way and the pressure to split was down instead of up it might have stayed on but I doubt it. Most 4 ways wouldn't have split that round and I wouldn't even consider trying that one with my 4 way. I would have halved it without even looking twice.

The I.O design appears to use the flaired portion of the main wedge as a stabilizer to the vertical tube. I think that splitter would have split the log 4 ways if the wing was more secure. That video also demonstrates a need for a log lift. That is also how I had to load my large rounds before I made the mods to my splitter.

Greetings, All. I know it is an old thread, but it is totally new to me. As jrider said earlier, not every splitter will make every person happy. As far as the I&O goes, IMHO, I think the 4way wedge design is severely deficient and there are better choices. I like the large American and the powered 4 way.

He has the wedge on upside down to start with. He also has stacked 2 spacers on top of each other so the 4 way is barely resting on the vertical beam that supports it. And as already stated, the 4 way is not designed to split every piece. I have run well over 1000 cords through my 22 ton Iron and Oak with no problems but you do have to be smart enough to know when to take the 4 way off.

He has the wedge on upside down to start with. He also has stacked 2 spacers on top of each other so the 4 way is barely resting on the vertical beam that supports it. And as already stated, the 4 way is not designed to split every piece. I have run well over 1000 cords through my 22 ton Iron and Oak with no problems but you do have to be smart enough to know when to take the 4 way off.

That was painful to watch - an obvious example of operator incompetence. No wonder some manufacturers put warnings in their lit re. multi-wedges. That thing was likely fubared before the video rolled - the upright was bent before this. But if that wedge came with all those spacers, I would also have to question the entire design of that setup.

I have split a lot of wood with both the American ( my friends) and my TW5 both are great machines. The American is a little taller and has larger tires if moving is an issue. The Timberwolf is faster. After using both I think the tw5 is a better machine. The advantage of the hydraulic wedge in my opinion are.... 1) when splitting large rounds you can adjust 4 way higher to make 4 larger splits then resplit again with the wedge lower. 2) it has been my experience that splits will get stuck under the wings on the wedge and to get them out for quick resplit you just raise the wedge and remove. 3) When you get a big nasty stuck on the wedge you can raise and lower the wedge to help dislodge it. Both machines do a great job over a maul but I lean toward the tw5 after using both

Latest posts

Back