Does anyone have a corn burning stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How are they? I have 10 acres (about 8 are tillable) and I was thinking that growing and drying corn might be a lot less labor intensive than making firewood. But I could be wrong.

I currently have a decorative high efficiency Napoleon wood burner in my living room. It is my only source of heat. It does a really nice job of heating my whole 1200 Sq ft home. I go through 5 full cords each winter. How much corn would it take to heat my house for the winter?

OK all you corn burners, I wanna hear from you.

Don <><

You have the land but what are the input cost for growing corn? With a bag of seed going for $200 or more plus fertilizer I'm guessing you may find it more expensive to do the corn then firewood. Maybe sell your corn to buy firewood?

Brian

Friend of mine has a burner which can take wood pellets, cherry pits, and corn, it is 5 years old. He and his wife love the thing when its working, but lately everytime I see him, all I hear about is how poorly the thing works. He is constantly taking it apart to clean the auger and hopper feed tube. He tells me it is very sensitive to the moisture content of the fuel and regurlary clogs, keeping the fuel from entering the burn chamber. Also, he has tried all 3 fuels, says corn and cherry pits are more tempremantal than pellets, so he would never again burn anything other than hardwood pellets. It takes 4-5 tons of fuel to heat his 1400 sq ft ranch for a year. Maybe the issues lie within the burner itself, or the man operating it, doubt I'll ever know. But, after evaluating the issues my friend is having it makes me appreciate the simplicity if my wood stove.

A friend of mine has an outdoor corn boiler. I don't know the brand but like Shelbythedog said he has lots of problems with it. He has told me many times he wished he would have went with wood.

I've got one in my basement that I'll make you a helluva deal on.

To totally heat your home figure at least a bushel per day. When I bought mine corn was a buck seventy/bushel, the next year it was 3, the next 4, and now around 7:bang: I
That's around 300 bucks a month just for the corn. You're much better off with wood.
As far as growing your own being easier, nope.
If you rented the land to a local farmer and took that money and bought your wood with it you'd have free heat and virtually no work in it.

Just my opinion.

If you rented the land to a local farmer and took that money and bought your wood with it you'd have free heat and virtually no work in it.

Forgot about the land rent. Around me it is between $200-300 per acre. With my elementary education thats 1600-2400 for the OP. Enough for the finest 5 cords of oak firewood split stacked and delivered to your door with enough $$$ left over for ???

Brian

I haven't heard many positives from the owners of corn fed stoves. If you must have one then I'd recommend that you get a stove that can take corn or pellets.

Do you already have the farm equipment if you choose to grow your own corn?

I'd personally stick with the traditional fire wood for a greater amount of radiant heat & if age or the labor associated with firewood is an issue then go pellet.

save the corn for popping or fermenting

I've been there...

We had a corn burning furnace in the same spot as my wood furnace currently sits. It was made by a guy in central Ill and it's more mess than it's worth...The biggest issue is that the are really finickey, there is a lerning curve (mine was 2 years or seasons) we heated the entire house and dumped directly into heat ducts like the wood furnace.

The ash is much darker than wood ash and stains much more. There is a smess associated with burning corn that lingers. There is a clinker formed by the burning of corn that is like ceramic. It served the purpose for us for a short time (6 years) but I will NEVER return to that. I gladly burnt propane for 2 years before installing the wood burning furnace.

Honestly if someone gave me corn i wouldn't heat with it...

Stay away from this...MHO...

HD

If you do not grow your own corn this is a big time losing proposition!! Have you checked he price of corn lately? The guy that is heating his house with one bushel a day has an indoor pellet stove. A couple of people that I know had these when I was looking at corn burners. I went and checked them out and in both cases the room that the burner was in was about 80 degrees and the other end of the house was about 50. Even with that I doubt that you can heat a house up north in the dead of winter with only one bushel of corn a day. I flat out am playing the BS card. I was told for my size of house that it would take 2 to 3 bushel a day to heat it (2200 SF) Wrong, try 5 or 6 bushel a day. Again do the math 6 bushel at $6.00 a bushel per day not good. I on the other had can tell you about my $6000.00 outdoor corn burner from WoodMaster in Minnesota. Biggest mistake of my life!!! You forever had a sensor probes going out of it, feedscrews acting up, I could go on and on but I will leave it at that. Now could I have toughed it out? Sure, But my math told me that I would need Under $3.00 for this to break even. Again go look at todays cash price for corn. When I purchased the burner corn was $2.00 a bushel. When they delivered it 3 MONTHS later it had already went up to $3.25 per bushel, and never looked back from there. This year I did what I should have done it the first place and removed the perfectly good corn burner and set a ODW burner on the pad. Best decision that I have made in a long time. If after reading this and you would still like to try an OUTDOOR corn burner I have one that will sell you for a SMALL fraction of the list price just to get that piece of crap off of my property.

The ash is much darker than wood ash and stains much more. There is a smess associated with burning corn that lingers. HD

I almost forgot to mention this. My realtor showed me a house that had a corn burner when I was looking to purchase a home a few years ago. It was in the basement, chimney exited the block around ground level, then ran up the back of the house and dumped around the soffit. There was a black stain 8' wide, the entire height of the wall, where the soot ran down. Looked as dark as diesel smoke. I tried to wipe some off and it had stained the vinyl siding beyond repair. I guess the chimney should have been taller, but either way it was a complete mess.

That much tillable land? Man..market garden that, mixed crops, save your own seed. You'll make more than enough to buy loads of logs, keep multiple freezers full of your own grub, plus cash to engage in a saw hobby, plus more..

Monoculture, just corn, year after year after year in the same dirt...dead soil. It's creepy.

Or take some of that acreage and start a planned forest, with early, medium, late maturing species. Market garden the other.

I live and work on a farm, but the boss wants grass and beefers, I *wish* I could actually do up some multiple acres in veggie food crops, plus some like big strawberry beds and stuff like that. I have to make do with some gardens around the house and the greenhouse, and we have a real small orchard now. If I could do *acres*, there's produce stands and one grocery in town would take all I could grow, they told me that already. I'd love to *get paid* to drive into town. all that happens now is I know if and when I drive into town, it costs me money. I wish I had something in the truck to take with me to sell.

And I would like to do one token acre in rotating oilseed crops, to make my own diesel.

I *might* get to sell some firewood sometime, see how that goes. I think though the boss has plans to log if/when he wants a fast check. He lets me take my own firewood and is cool with me getting a few years ahead, but I think that is it for now. Still working on that.

I'm the OP.

OK. You all convinced me to forget about a corn burner. This is why a forum like this is so valuable.

Now I'm not much of a gardener, but ya got me thinking. Umm?

Thanks a lot goys.

Don <><

Oh man… Where do I start? I could type pages and not get everything said.

Burning corn for heat was a bad idea at 2-dollar corn, and now at $7.oo it’s idiotic. In reality, growing your own on 8-acres would probably cost you more than just buying the stuff. Figure the cost of equipment, maintenance on equipment, fuel, seed, fertilizer, drying, storage, crop insurance (yeah, if you’re gonna’ lay out that kind of cash to plant it, you damn well better insure it), and even the potential loss of income from the land (‘cause you’re burning the crop, rather than selling it). It takes a lot more land than 8-acres to make it work. And you live in Northern Wisconsin… man, ol’ Mother Nature is gonna’ do everything she can to screw with ya’. A cold, wet spell shortly after planting and you loose the crop… insurance may pay expenses, but it may be too late for replanting. Hail? Ever see what hail can do to an emerging corn crop? A hot, dry spell just as the ears are forming equals small ears with small kernels. And then there are those early, cool, wet autumns… when the corn has no chance to dry on-the-stalk, even starts to mold on the ear. Do you have any idea how many gallons of LP a corn dryer will use in a 24-hour period? Do you even have a corn dryer? How ‘bout an early, wet, snowy winter… like an early blizzard before you can get your corn harvested? Now you have 10-inches of snow on top of 12-inches of mud in your corn field… How you gonna’ get that corn out?

Why was burning corn for heat at 2-dollars a bad idea? Corn and soy beans are our food source… plain and simple. More than corn flakes, those grains are used for tons of purposes along the food chain, such as feeding all forms of livestock, fertilizers, even plastics and rubbers used for equipment parts… just to name a small few. So now we add to the demand, using it to make motor fuel (ethanol) and burn it for heat… driving the price up to 7-dollars. To keep up with demand farmers are growing more corn and less beans, which drives up the price of beans and requires more fertilizer because of the lack of crop rotation. As the price of those grains rise, the price of near everything else in this country follows… from the grocery store to the fuel pump, and even the carpet on your floor. And our not-so-wise politicians’ are dumping billions of tax-payer dollars into this idiocy. If you think the housing bubble was a fiasco… just wait. It ain’t just the farmers that will get hurt… we’re all gonna’ pay a huge price for this stupidity.

We keep this crap up and we could be the first nation in history to starve because we literally burned our food source!!!!

WOW everyone agrees on this ?????

Can't be... too many members. But if nobody chimes in with an opposite opinion this thread should be made a sticky... just to prove we can all agree on something!

Too darn funny if the only thing we can agree on is is growing our own corn for heating fuel... LMAO!

My Inlaws bought a corn burner the same time I bought my indoor stove. My father in law told me i was a fool to go with wood. I laugh @ him now because he's always complaining about 7.00 corn that i sell him lol.

I have a multi fuel stove. bought it 5 years ago. this is the 3rd season it has set idle.
Break even point on corn is $3.00 about same for pellets.
Nat gas is cheaper from then on.
I did like it though runs good and heated my 1000 sq ft shop for about bu a day or bag a day
with corn @ 6-7 dollars and pellets @ 4-5 for 40# bag does not pay to run it.
I would not put one in my house though, it produces a lot of fine light grey ash that gets everywhere.
I would sell mine also if someone wants to buy one.
The corn also needs to be 13% moisture or less.

Latest posts

Back