Does anyone sharpen their dawgs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bend the teeth a wee bit out of line it prevents sticking:rock:

Actually, file and set at every fill up. Sometimes a touch-up between butt cuts if thars lots of dirt and stuff in that Pondo bark or it's rock hard from standing dead or lightning stuck.
File-o-plate is best to get the angles just so, using a goofy file out in them steep canyons.
Grind em good every nite at the shop where there's more time and better working conditions.
Got some new carbide ones on order.
Any questions ?

Get them razor sharp, then put on a dull chain (the norm) and dawg in and run the beyouch like you stole it. A modded saw with a dirty air cleaner will give you the best results.

I took a grinder and rounded mine off!If you owned the mighty Husqvarna 288xp or 576 AT you'd know that it cuts faster than you can pull those sharp dawgs out of the thick bark and go down.:msp_tongue:

No, but sometimes I'll apply a little polish to them.
attachment.php

View attachment 207819

Well, after knocking the Dawgs teth over with a ball peen to give them the right set,
and filing them tips razor sharp, some big burrs are left on the sides.

So, how can these burrs be removed from the dogs, before the poilish treatment ?

Never. No reason to in the wood species I cut. I think you need to refer to HBRN for the proper technique, goes long with chain tuning.

That's a really great tip. Went an tried it out.
Perfect slopping back cut every time ..

Thanks, owe you one for that trick !

That's slopping back cut. Slopping, not sloping. Paccity coined the phrase and I think it fits. :laugh:

Fixed that nearly fatal error. Thanks for spotting it Bob.
Whew, close call.

I keep my dogs sharp for hunting, field trials and hunt tests.

By training on birds. And with a group of serious hunters and
trainers.

Don't want my dogs to ever think life is dull.

Back