Does no one know how to work a wheelbarrow now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wheelbarrow to move firewood of course. :laugh: But seriously, I went to get a new wheelbarrow and all the decent size ones now come with two wheels. The only single wheel one is 6 cubic feet, barely enough for a granny to haul weeds around the yard with. All the 8 and 10 cf ones come with two wheels now. To me, 2 wheels are harder to move around, you can't run one up a ramp into a trailer, you can barely get one to hop over a limb or log out in the woods, and its 2 flats to pump up when you get around to using it. My old one has served me well, but one of the handles finally gave way at the spot where the mounting bolt goes through. Also my teenage son was distracted by a cutie when he was tending the bonfire to get rid of a bunch of scrap wood, and melted the front of it pretty bad. Its still usable, but time for a secondary waiting to replace it.
When I asked at the store why there was no single wheels available, they said it is just so much easier for people to move around, and anyone can work the two wheeled model. What a joke.

I bought a 2 wheeled one 2 years ago. I like it so much better. I just used it to move firewood closer to my house though so just from my woodpile to my house through the yard. It is much more stable when big loads are on it than a single wheeled one.

Of course I know how to use one, Joe.

001-31.jpg

20 years ago a one-wheeler would've been taken seriously. Today, folks wonder why anyone would make such an unstable product. :D

It's like pretty much every consumer product these days... it's gotta be safe for a drunk whose IQ is the same as his shoe size, to operate without killing himself or someone else. Who else would need a safety kill-switch under the seat of his lawn tractor?

Many consumer products have been litigated and safety-ed to extinction. Some bonehead probably turned over a wheelbarrow load of something, damaged or injured something or someone and the lawyers got wind of it.

I tried but didn't like using a wheel barrow. A heavy duty garden wagon worked much better for me. No balancing or lifting (except to load it). Worked really well over rough/uneven terrain. I could move 300 pounds pretty well. That's a lot of wood (either full rounds or split). I couldn't haul that much with a wheel barrow.

Don <><

attachment.php

I'm throwing in with the OP and the single wheel-barrow. Ours gets constant everyday use, it was one of the first tools I got when we got our first house in '74.

Yup, my wheelbarrow has 4 wheels, 2 hyd levers, pto and a hitch....

Still got the same barrow now for 20+ years. Alot of concrete has been made in that sucker before getting the electric mixer..

I use a four wheeler with a four wheeler trailer on when the wood is deep in the woods. I use a truck when it isn't so far in to where I am cutting at

Just my idea

Shane

Freakin prices on a decent wheelbarrow are UN-BELIEVABLE. I get mine from the dump or yardsales.

My parents bought one of those two wheeled barrows.. What a horrible idea! Unless you're moving loads on flat ground this thing is unstable as all get out. A single wheeled job doesn't tip side to side and try to dump your load when your on uneven terrain like this two wheeler. Also much harder to squeeze down a tight trail over roots and limbs.

Never tried one, a two wheeler I mean. I have nothing for or against the idea at this point. I've certainly got my hours on the traditional one wheeled variety, but wouldn't be adverse to a used ten buck two wheeled one.

Seems easy enough to make a big one wheeled version though, the basic design is simple.

A rickshaw design, two wheeled, looks good for toting around big quantities as well. But again, never tried one, but you see a lot of variations on that idea in documentaries and articles, etc about areas of the world where people still move a lot of cargo by human power. You see a lot more pics of two wheeled carts over one wheeled anything.

Haven't used a 2 wheel barrow for any heavy loads but I know completely filling a single wheel barrow and having it twist at all can sure put an end to the supports on them quickly. It may be that r and d at the company lead to the conclusion that 2 wheel barrows are more durable (especially considering the flimsy materials they use now instead of good old metal ).

Just my 2 cents.

I have both 1 and 2 wheelers for my construction business. Me and the guys like em both. It just depends on what your doing. On relatively flat ground I'll take the 2 wheeler every time.
Try a 2 wheel hand cart for moving blocks of wood. Works great. (the big tire model)

$359 for the one linked to! I think I'll be hitting up the yard sale circuit this spring. I have a quad, trailers, front end loader. Sometimes it is just a lot simpler to use a good old armstrong model to get a few things done. Heck I even have been using my splitting maul to finish off a few piles of stacked rounds lately, and I have a perfectly good splitter sitting right there! The peace and quiet have been attractive over the nice spring we have been having. I picked up a couple handles ($15 each) and fixed up the old barrow for now. I will still be looking for a good newer one. Unfortunately, I must have them mounted off kilter, as I feel like I am dog-legging when I push it around now, push it straight and it goes to the right, or push it slightly left to go straight. Almost as much fun as drinking beer while working.

Back