Does this look like firewood to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen some really nice furniture made from pallet oak... Not sure anymore, but a lot of it was clear too.

Im not very good with woodworking,better at woodburning. I did better in metal shop in school than woodshop. I guess you could call me a woodbutcher. Not to sound selfish but I would rather burn it than advertise to people that its there and good enough to build furniture out of.:chainsaw:

I have seen some really nice furniture made from pallet oak... Not sure anymore, but a lot of it was clear too.

Based on the roughness of the skids I used to handle at a warehouse job years ago, you'd need a planer to smooth up the pieces. I'd reckon I've been stung by enough splinters in those years that, if neatly stacked, would amount to nearly 1/8th of a cord. :)

Nonething wrong with burning those. I remember when I was a kid my grandfather drove tractor trailers for a local paper company one saturday we saw him backing his rig down the driveway. He had that 53 footer loaded for tip to tail wall to wall with oak pallets. The company he worked for gave him all the broken and unuseable pallets. That turned out to be a ton of wood and it does stack so nice and easy to handel. Like my father always said if it fits in the stove burn it if it doesnt cut it till it fits.

Im not very good with woodworking,better at woodburning. I did better in metal shop in school than woodshop. I guess you could call me a woodbutcher. Not to sound selfish but I would rather burn it than advertise to people that its there and good enough to build furniture out of.:chainsaw:

Then I say BURN BURN BURN!!:cheers:

I want to say the dumpster they toss them into makes them into mulch. I know another company in the area does that. They dye it and it looks like bark mulch,kinda. They dont want to make furniture out of it.:)

It works

Good if you have OWB cut them into thirds (each 4 ft long) and toss them in, they smoke like the bejesus though. They work real good if you let your OWB fire get down and want to bring the system temp back up quick. Watch the nails when cutting though, they are not always where they are supposed to be.:cry:

Oak pallets

I striped some oak pallets down and took my belt sander and sanded them down to matching sizes and made moulding to go around the kitchen cabinets. Looks good after staining and sealing. Used a router to roll over the edge.

when i was younger we used to stop at the nursery on the way to lake load our trucks to the max stack them as high as possible 5 gallons of gas and road flare let the party begin:clap:

Back