Does this seem fishy to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
Call the seller of the original one and ask him. Both sellers are from Circleville, OH. Sure looks odd to me.

2 of the pictures are identical, down to the dirt and scuff marks on the bar cover. In addition, the pics are EXACTLY the same size! I would definitely call, email, whatever you have to do to get it straight before you send a dime.

Looks like the second listing has been ripped off and that an old ebay account has been taken over.

They are the same listing and the second one is posted on an account that was last used in 2004.

I would 100 percent check this out real carefully and definitely notify ebay as at least one of the listing is fraudulent if not both...

Definitely a questionable fleabay auction. Mail fraud is very common these days, with such scams as multiple sales of the same items. Even if you call to speak to the seller, he could still be scamming you for your chainsaw money. This could be the case, be wary of such deals.......

Bama I ask alot of questions in the original ebay auction. When ask if I could pick up saw since I am down that way often. I was told NO, send Money Order. Whats that tell you, be very careful on this scam.

Bama I ask alot of questions in the original ebay auction. When ask if I could pick up saw since I am down that way often. I was told NO, send Money Order. Whats that tell you, be very careful on this scam.

It tells me that I am glad I didn't send money, yet.
Now, I am wondering how I get out of this with either a saw or a non-negative feedback. I have paid people with check/money order/cashiers check before and not been burned, but I would like to have the Paypal protection on this one.
I might offer a few dollars more to use paypal and see what he says. That would cover the Paypal charge and give me some protection.

Since you've won the bid on the first chainsaw I would get the user contact details of the guy which includes his telephone #. Your able to do this by going through a simple process through ebay. Then I would contact him on the phone to discuss your concerns. I wouldn't pay the guy anything even using a more protected method like paypal until he addresses your concerns.

Well I have a lot more experience with eBay than I do with chainsaws. The weird thing about this one is the second seller has a log splitter for sale and has local pickup....but does not indicate that option is available on the chainsaw.

Regardless....this is one to report to eBay immediately.....do not send money. Let eBay figure out who is real and who is not. You will not get any negative feedback if you don't pay for a scam item....eBay will pull the listing and any negative feedback. I have mixed feelings about what to do with the current seller.....but I think emailing him a copy of the current listing will certainly get him to file with eBay if he is legitimate - and get him running if he is not. Chances are if he is a fake he will just terminate his accounts and make new ones and not bother filing a negative response - if he is legitimate he will know why you are being careful and not sending payment immediately.

I sold a banjo once and about a year later all of my photos and description showed up with the banjo for sale. The banjo collectors are a pretty tight knit group and a fellow in West Virginia recognized the photos of my banjo and emailed me.....and I contacted the fellow I sold the banjo to...and he stil had the banjo and it was not for sale. We both filed a fraud report and eBay pulled the listing. About 6 months later it showed up in another listing and we had to file another fraud report. I don't know if eBay ever prosecutes these fellows...but they should or it will just keep happening. They need to get a reputation for being aggressive about this stuff.....or they will lose a lot of business.

I contacted the seller and sent him the other listing. I also contacted eBay and showed them both listings. I will wait to hear from them before doing anything else.

What really stinks is that because I won this auction, I didn't have the cash to pick up some 670 parts that went pretty cheap.:cry:

As it was, my wife was NOT pleased at me buying this saw. I knew it was the garage for me if I would have won the 670 parts, too. Some things are not worth the risk.

Bama, my gut tells me the auction you won is legit - I think you'll get it straighted out. The second seller, that account has no feedback since '04, I think some scammers just picked a dormant account, somehow got to use it, and is now trying to give someone the screws. I can see the local pickup on the splitter, too heavy to ship - On the chainsaw, flat 40.00, the seller makes some money on that. Ebay should suspend that second account if you've turned it in.

Beware

Be careful with that last auction.He's harvesting user name and passwords.
When I went to ask a question it asked me to sign in even though I was already signed in on another tab.It will show a good ebay address but through cloaking you don't know where it's going.
If you've already been asked for this and signed in change your password at ebay and paypal also immediately. Steve

When I went to ask a question it asked me to sign in even though I was already signed in on another tab.It will show a good ebay address but through cloaking you don't know where it's going.
If you've already been asked for this and signed in change your password at ebay and paypal also immediately. Steve

I really doubt it. The seller can not possibly modify where the "Ask a question" link goes to. It's not uncommon for ebay to ask to to re-sign in.

The was removed because the item is no longer available for sale.

Done. Thanks!! I don't think I signed in on his page, but I changed passwords, anyway. One thing I noticed, was that the pictures on each of the pages were of the same saw, but not all the pictures were the same. Interesting. I also noticed that the listing for the 2nd saw was pulled.

I really doubt it. The seller can not possibly modify where the "Ask a question" link goes to. It's not uncommon for ebay to ask to to re-sign in.

The was removed because the item is no longer available for sale.

I didn't pay attention, so I played it safe. Doesn't hurt to change the passwords often, anyhow.

Back