Does wife/signficant other influence saw purchases?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does the wife/significant other influence saw purchases

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sometimes I tell her, most times I don't. As long as we can pay the bills and keep food on the table, we really don't have a problem with either of us pursuing our hobbies. Generally, I'll let her know if I'm about to spend more than a couple hundred just in case there's something that came up that I'm not aware of.

Any saws I buy that I don't genuinely need, which means pretty much any more saws, comes from money I make donating plasma. So she don't care, if that's what gives me a thrill. On the other hand, once the saw has proven itself useful, any further costs with maintaining said saw comes from wherever I can get the money.

She told me I could say yes.

Edit*

But you should know, I’ve been in the Navy/Coast Guard for the last 24 or so years and not around home much so she has been in charge at home, using my money of course. Now that I’m retired from that mess, we are having to figure out our places in the new normalcy.

4hpgs1.jpg

I’m not really a barbarian, it was her idea to post the reply and for the pic. But she says I have to keep my tough guy persona hanging out here.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver!

My wife honestly doesn't care. She's a softy about fixing old stuff and that's the way her dad was. Working on saws makes me happy and she likes to see me happy.

th.jpg LTR for me has been about 4-6 mos. I did date one gal for 15 or 16 yrs so you can guess which one I picked.:D

Last edited:
I don't tell her and she don't ask. Works well in both directions. We both trust we'll be responsible with spending, since not much of it happens anyway!

Me and the wife are working on that.....she hates saws...kinda
But she wants a pink and white hello kitty saw. A bit complicated
Trying to find a balance, but she likes all the chainsaw people and helps
When I cut sometimes. :/ go figure?

We live by the golden rule...my gold, my rules.....seriously the only time she questioned anything was when I spent $1700 on 15 of ms440 & 044's. Just to prove to her I knew a good investment when I saw it I kept an excel file on those saws. When I netted $4200 she has never asked another question....

I checked the mutual decision but really it's a mutual decision because I let her know. I do not hide anything. I have a pretty good idea of what I can spend and try not to cross the line.

Right now I think I have all the saws I want. I am now getting them ported. She just rolls her eyes.:rolleyes:

I keep track of all my saw purchases, parts purchases and saw sales on a spreadsheet. I've spent about $4000 on saws, $800 on parts and sold about $4000 worth. So I have about $800 invested into all the saws I haven't sold. Shouldn't be too much squabbling over that. My wife trusts me to be wise with our funds and it goes both ways. I don't worry about her purchases either because we're both cheapskates. Working for a non profit for the last 16 years, that is an important survival tool. Our combined income now is less than it was 26 years ago when we got married but we don't go without anything we need. God has blessed us.

It is amazing what God can do when you put him first with finances.:)

My wife's been with me when I bought my saws...and the splitter. We're now on a fixed income, so any large purchase is a joint venture.
She does like to be warm, and this is cheaper than when I used to buy Martin acoustic guitars!!
That was an expensive hobby!!

(anybody wanna buy a guitar?)

I'm not hiding saws at this point from my wife. All she has to do is walk into the garage and she will see the piles of them. If I spy one on Craig's list etc I don't go running up to her asking for her approval though. I weigh value verse return verse gamble on condition as to wether it/they are worth getting and go from there.

Last time I went for a drive to get some tree service related stuff I bought a few saws on a side stop and when I got home she saw me unloading them. She was not thrilled about it but I think she also understands I have done well getting rid of some and some I have only broke even on. After 20+ years of marriage if she can't trust me now then it is to late to correct that I guess.

She knows if she wants to go get something for herself the door is open for her to do so. I don't rain on her parade when she goes out to by stuff. All of course in financial moderation. We don't spend money we don't have. Great rule to live by when started at an early age.

Latest posts

Back