Does wife/signficant other influence saw purchases?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does the wife/significant other influence saw purchases

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ive been married almost 28 years, Usually when I drag a saw, mower, gun home Ill get a comment. Didnt happen to stop by the grocery store or pay the so & so bill?

No dear, quick kiss, I didnt but would you get that for me, Ill be in the shop working on this. Thanks honey Love ya!!!

Stay in the shop a couple hours, its all good :rolleyes:

Well, my wife is a bookkeeper by trade so...:cry:

THANKFULLY though, she is a farmer's daughter and a businesswoman, so She understands the value of electricity/gas/etc-free heat, the $$$ we've saved burning wood and the side change I've made with my toys. They really come in handy when I'm cleaning up the occasional tornado damage.

I will never have the saw or firearm collection that I'd like to have, but I don't think that I'll ever be hurting either, as long as my Babies are well-fed, clothed, housed and loved. I have been blessed. :bowdown:

I give my wife XXX dollars for the household budget and the rest is mine. As long as it doesn't cut into the household $$$$ she could care less what I buy. (Hookers excepted) There are times she will say "Well you've got the money why don't you treat yourself?"
She is pretty good that way.

Mike

I keep track of all my saw purchases, parts purchases and saw sales on a spreadsheet. I've spent about $4000 on saws, $800 on parts and sold about $4000 worth. So I have about $800 invested into all the saws I haven't sold. Shouldn't be too much squabbling over that. My wife trusts me to be wise with our funds and it goes both ways. I don't worry about her purchases either because we're both cheapskates. Working for a non profit for the last 16 years, that is an important survival tool. Our combined income now is less than it was 26 years ago when we got married but we don't go without anything we need. God has blessed us.

Good post, I think we might be relation somewhere down the line lol.

i feel my CAD is partly due to lmrwoman and her nonchalant attitude- I could find anything close to my reality in yur poll Ron

Dave there is no earthly reality that fits in your situation Dave.:buttkick:

Hope you feel better.:clap:

I have a side business in land/fence row clearing and the saws pay for themselves. My wife knows that I watch my pennies; all but one of my saws were bought used. She's thrilled by the improvements I've made to our 13 acres and loves sitting around the wood stove. The results speak for themselves so she trusts my judgement regarding OPE.

I didn't marry until after I had owned businesses for ten years. I wanted a tool or equipment I bought it. I wanted a "toy" I bought it too!

The first few times my wife inquired what a not absolutely necessary item cost and I gave her the honest cost of a thousand or two she went ballistic, stayed mad for hours, even over a day. Obviously a change of tactics needed to manage this wife thing.

Kept right on ordering or buying the things I wanted or needed but now there was a little wife management program in place. "How much did you pay for that saw?"

"It is a Stihl and they are more expensive than most saws. I caught it on sale for $2500." She goes ballistic. Up through the ceiling a couple low level orbits and comes down still raising hell. "I was just joking, it was only $800."

"That's better!" Peace and calm is restored in under five minutes, never mind that she would have went just as ballistic had I told her $800 to begin with but then I wouldn't have had any fallback plan.

No matter what a woman says, size matters to her! Unless it is jewelry, the bigger the box something comes in the more it is worth. Get between two and three thousand worth of race parts that fit in a box not much bigger than a shoe box and poop hits the fan. Pay half that for something that fits in a crate big enough to house a refrigerator and that's OK.

Y'all should listen carefully to my advice about managing wives, I was married for eight years! On the other hand I have been a born again bachelor for twenty-five. I learned a lot in those eight years. :clap:

Hu

I hid a new fourwheeler i bought, from my first wife, then used the remaining debt on it as leverage during are divorce, worked out great!!

Saws are cheap compared to tractors, class 8 trucks, stereo gear, and camera stuff. The last time that she really noticed was when a Kubota show up. She looked at me and said "That better be a rental". I forget what that cost me to get it welcomed into the family.

Sounds like when i bought my big Moline out of MO. "Did you really need that?" "Yeah." "Why?" "Because I didn't have one yet, and I always wanted one, and it was cheap" "Oh" Never heard anything more about it, after my son claimed it for his parade/show tractor. I think he was 6 or 7 at the time.

So what you're sayin is she really wears the pants in the family? o_O ;)

I definately wear the pants in the family (but my wife picks them for me).

As far as saws, the neccessay ones have been purchased with the family budget to cut firewood. The other hobby stuff (saws, parts or any other hobby I have) comes from my paypal account. Then everyone is happy.

I like top of the line tools and my wife does too! So I get her an expensive vacuum and I get an expensive tool (and my house is clean cause she loves to use her new "tool") Then I get her an expensive blender and I get an expensive tool. After that I get her professional grade mixer and I get an expensive tool. Now my home is full of yummy tasty things and clean! I'm happy, she's happy, and I can get just about any tool I want as long as it has a semi-legit use. The more I spend on kitchen gadgets and cleaning products, the bigger, better, stronger tool I get. I love our relationship! Oh yeah, she says if I need a saw then go for it! (But then I wonder what does she want?)

Last edited:
Sounds like when i bought my big Moline out of MO. "Did you really need that?" "Yeah." "Why?" "Because I didn't have one yet, and I always wanted one, and it was cheap" "Oh" Never heard anything more about it, after my son claimed it for his parade/show tractor. I think he was 6 or 7 at the time.
Which MM,I really crave a G 1000

Latest posts

Back