Does wood dry after it is below freezing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have all my wood cut and split and stacked for this winter (10 cord), but this is about the time of year where it stays below freezing from now on. Does wood still dry after it is below freezing? I throw about a month worth at a time into my basement and it seem to season very fast down there near the wood furnace. I have a lot of ash so I am not real worried about the fact that my wood is not all totally seasoned.

Last edited:
yes indeed--hang a wet towel outside ---it will freeze but eventually dry out--winter air is usually quite dry

yes indeed--hang a wet towel outside ---it will freeze but eventually dry out--winter air is usually quite dry

:agree2: Any exposure it can get from the sun helps too. Even in the coldest of months ice will transpire to vapor. Frozen green stuff splits pretty good too. The ice crystals expand inside the wood creating pressure. When the axe hits it, usually it just pops apart.

Back