Does your Inside Wood Furnace Smoke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laternser

Reaction score
Did a quick search ... did not find this topic.

If you have an inside wood furnace ... does
it release smoke in your house?

I am considering getting an inexpensive wood furnace
(perhaps a Daka ... which users here seem to find satisfactory.)

I don't want something that releases wood smoke into the house.
Soot particles build up over time and are difficult to remove from
fabric --- and destroy everything. Not good for the lungs either.

I have even considered putting a small brick shed connecting
to the house to put the furnace in to prevent smoke in the
house.

What is your experience / and your wood furnace?

Thank you.

i've been burning for over 30 years and have not a problem with smoke or soot.

The only time it ever smoked is when I was too lazy to pull the lever that lets the smoke exit the rear of the furnace. Otherwise no.

Wife & I rented an old farm house for 5 years that had an ancient inside wood furnace. It would smoke up the basement everytime I opened the door & on occasion you could smell it in the rest of the house. I'd like to think that newer installation that's properly designed would be just fine.

Some days, the wind, and barometer are against me, and there will be a little smoke while I load it up again. Other than that, no smoke, burns plenty clean, even go outside and still can't smell anything. The living area certainly isn't affected by it.
-------
Using a DAKA for 5years this winter.

No smoke as long as the chimney is clear and the path to it. Nothing like walking outside on a cold day and smelling that beautiful wood smoke.:) Once in a while I shut the draft and open the stove just to take a hit, don't tell my wife.

Last edited:
always keep a carbon monoxide and smoke detectors near any wood burner.

ANY smoke inside = danger

carbon monoxide is a silent killer

The only time I get a little smoke in the basement is when I am having a beer or 3, and watching the fire with the door about 1/2 open. I just have to do it.

Did a quick search ... did not find this topic.

If you have an inside wood furnace ... does
it release smoke in your house?

I am considering getting an inexpensive wood furnace
(perhaps a Daka ... which users here seem to find satisfactory.)

I don't want something that releases wood smoke into the house.
Soot particles build up over time and are difficult to remove from
fabric --- and destroy everything. Not good for the lungs either.

I have even considered putting a small brick shed connecting
to the house to put the furnace in to prevent smoke in the
house.

What is your experience / and your wood furnace?

Thank you.

1. if you have a fireplace or any wood burning unit that releases smoke in the house, you have a serious defect somewhere.

2. if you built this so-called brick shed, how would you get the heat from the wood burner into the house? that one got me stumped.

I had a friend do it once he used the shed itself as a heat exchanger, he insulated it good, then had a big duct about 18" dia. with a blower blow the warm air into the house. After starting the fire and clearing all the smoke out of the shed, then open the duct and turn on the blower. You need a separate vent to outside air for the draft for the stove. And a cold air return to the shed.

Last edited:
When I redid the outside of my house, I sealed it up pretty tight. Knowing that, I bought a fresh air intake and ducted it right beside the air intake on the furnace. Even at -30 degrees, it doesn't get cold because the air goes right into the furnace. No smoke, either. I got it somewhere in Canada. I think it was about $40. Heck of a deal.

Latest posts

Back