Dog vs Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leebo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a American Hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) tree in the side yard which is in good condition with the exception of a small triangular shaped cavity (approx. 3" wide at the ground and 5" high) at the root base. The problem is that the tree is in a fenced-in area that our dog is confined in occasionally. When he sees a chipmunk or mouse run into the cavity, he runs over a starts pawing at the bark around the cavity. Is there any way to safely seal the cavity without damaging the tree? I have the ability to fabricate a cedar "plug" which would just fit in the cavity to keep the critters from running in. Unless the dog sees something run into the cavity, he leaves the tree alone.

Not being an arborist I'll probably get blasted by all the latin speaking wizards on the forum for this suggestion.

I have used Sacrete mortar mix (in different sized bags from the local hardware store) to fill holes in trees for many years without any issues. Just mix it up, pack it into the hole real well (don't mix it thin and "runny", keep it stiff), and generally the tree will grow over it in a couple of years. Mortar mix is what you want, fast drying mix is okay but not necessary. "Concrete" mix may be too chunky with bigger pieces of rock but it will work too if the hole is big enough.

This will give your bowser something to trim his toenails on for sure. Look around inside the hole to be sure you are not blocking in any little "monks".

Sealing in the cavity could be a problem. As far as tree care goes it is better to leave holes like this open. As for your problem maybe some screening could be put around the hole to keep the varmints out.

Back