Dolmar 510 for a farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurst89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this site, but have been reading through the threads. I have found a used Dolmar PS510 near me at school and I was thinking about taking it home to the farm to replace our dead Echo cs3400. We really kind of killed that saw by asking it to do too much after the old Farmboss 041 (I think that is what it was) died and didn't get a replacement. Anyway, I have been reading and have found this saw for $225 supposed to be like new with a new spare chain. It has an 18" bar too, which would be nice, as we have a CS340 (newer one we have taken care of and kept around the house) to do smaller stuff with. From reading on here everyone raves about the 5100 and 5105, but for something that we will just be clearing fence rows, cutting fence boards/posts, and doing general work, should the 510 be a good fit. Heavier is not really a problem, as it won't be getting used all day. And being a little slower spinning might be a good thing with some of the guys that are using it... if you know what I mean. Also, is that a fair price for a like new used saw?

Thank you in advance!

Hurst

If it's in good shape with low use like you say that would be a good deal. The Dolmar 510 a good dependable saw. Saw new would be around $325 to $350.

Thanks for all the advice. I talked to the owner some more and he sent me a picture of it via text and it looks good. He said it only has 3 or 4 hours on it. Also said he would get me the tools that are supposed to come with them new (I told him that the manual wasn't a big deal, as I can print that out at school for free sometime). I am going to go look at it tomorrow in person. Anything I should check/look out for? I figure at the price I am getting it at, I have a little play room, but not enough for a major repair.

Edit: forgot to say it's a .325 chain on the 18 inch bar, which seems like the better chain size compared to the 3/8 chain.

Thanks again!

Hurst

I fell into this hole on purpose

Get 'er dun!

Who me? I'm trying...I'm tryyyyying:D

DSCF2423.jpg

BTW, stock 510 run very well.

That will make you a VERY nice saw for farm work!
Much better saw than an MS290 etc.
If it is in the condition the owner says it is you would be foolish NOT to grab it!

Mike

Mike,
I noticed you're also from Kentucky and appear to be an Allis fan. You don't happen to be a member of the Unofficial Allis Forum, do you (allischalmers.com)?

Hurst

I got it

Well, here it is (sorry for the poor image quality, they're off my cell phone, maybe santa will have to bring me a digital camera lol):

1212101821.jpg

1212101821a.jpg

1212101822.jpg

The previous owner was a small engine mechanic and seemed to really know his stuff about it. It fired on the first pull in full chock, then turned choke off and it fired up after 2 pulls, revved right up and sounded good. The sprocket shows very little wear from running, so I don't think he was lying about it having only a few hours on it. The chain on it looks like it is still an original, as it is a Dolmar chain and the new one he gave me to go with the saw is another brand (so I'm guessing they don't sell Dolmar chains at his shop usually, meaning the Dolmar on it most likely would have been what was shipped with it). He wasn't able to find the tools, but I looked them up last night and I think I have the right scrench for it from our Echo weedeaters (13/19 mm) and the other tools I think I have in my tool set, if not, I can get all 3 tools for less than $15 on the internet shipped. The only thing it didn't have that I wish it had come with was a bar guard, but I think I have an old one at our shop from our Farm Boss that should fit.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll have to try to keep up to date on here some.

Hurst

There's a guy in Versailles, Henry's Outdoor Power Equipment, that sells us a lot of our small engine things (like weedeaters, blowers, and chainsaws) and he got us onto these things. I'm definitely open to any suggestions on good dealers, as you can never know too many when the time comes that you need a part that day, so especially knowing several with good inventories is helpful. I looked at the serial number and according to the manual it is an 06 model (060240342 is the number). Will this one have all the emissions junk? Like the cat-muffler?

Hurst

Sorry, can't trade the farm for the saw lol. I should have chosen a little better wording haha. I'm anxious to try it out, but I know if I did that in the city, I'd have to cut something that would probably get me arrested... :chainsawguy:

Hurst

Sorry, can't trade the farm for the saw lol. I should have chosen a little better wording haha. I'm anxious to try it out, but I know if I did that in the city, I'd have to cut something that would probably get me arrested... :chainsawguy:

Hurst
:laugh:

That depends on how you define "good"! :help:

As long as it gets the job done well (and safely) and lasts a long time with just basic keep up, I'll be happy. I'm not looking to set any cutting records with it. Dependability is my biggest thing. I have patience for dependable equipment.

Hurst

Back