Dolmar 5100 VS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and now that there has a lot bin spoken about the two saws mentioned.

I am actually planning to pick one up in a couple of days, now the dealer phoned me to tell they had found a 5100S with a 3/8 pitch which I was looking for in the first place.

The 5105 only came in with a .325 pitch. Both with an 18 inch bar by the way. I now there are a lot of people who have had overheating problems with the 5100S. Where they solved this problem on the 5105.

However it will save me some money is it worth to take the risk off buying an 5100S, or should I pay a little more and go for the 5105 with the .325.

All thoughts an info are/is welcome,
Cheers!

Get the 5100.
MAKE the dealer de-tune the 5100 down to around 13,800.
Leave it there for the first 7-10 tanks.
After that if you want to go up to around 14,250 go ahead.

Mike

I believe their fix to the "lean problem" of the 5100S was to add a cat muffler - that way, they don't have to set the carbs as lean to pass EPA limits. The late 5100s have it, as well as US sold 5105s. You will want to change out that cat muffler, for a non-cat one

They also changed the air-flow inside the 5105, to improve the cooling of the engine.

Get the 5100.

Mike

:agree2: , if the user doesn't have a tach.

I believe their fix to the "lean problem" of the 5100S was to add a cat muffler - that way, they don't have to set the carbs as lean to pass EPA limits. The late 5100s have it, as well as US sold 5105s. You will want to change out that cat muffler, for a non-cat one.

Agree with Troll - the muffler was the biggest change, but they did also change the air flow between the 2 saws.

If you can swap out the muffler, then the 5105 is a decent choice. The air flow is definitely improved in the 5105.

Get the 5100.
Mike

I would probably lean this way too (vs getting the 5105) simply because you dont have to swap off mufflers.

If you know enough about saws to listen whether its running rich or lean, you should be ok - if not, make sure you take time to Tach it now & again.

One thing you might consider is the 5105 can now be had with the Easy Start and the Tough Stop like the 420 has, two very nice features. Google Dolmar 420 to view vids.

Unless you're very small, I dont see this as being a problem. We're talking about a 50cc saw here - ive never ever had issues with difficult starting. I could see how a touch stop may be nicer than the current switch, but its not a deal breaker imho.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys, I will see what he wants for the 5100S.
If the difference issn't to big i'll go with the 5105 otherwise I will bring the 5100S back home and will ask the dealer to de tune it a bit for me.

The easy start isn't a big deal, worked quit a bit with older Stihl models 046, and 066 compared to those it can't be difficult to pull the cord of a 50CC.

I will let you guys now, meanwile keep on going with the oppinions.

Thanks again!

Great choice on a 50cc saw.

Don't worry on the motor. Just make sure to use good quality oil for the mix and try to use fresh gas when possible.

I've sent one modified 5100 motor to he'll and back and it's still running great.

I've been running a stock 5100 motor on my used 5100s chassis with no mod to the muffler and is tuned at 14200 with no problems:cheers:

They did make improvements to the 5105 to help with heat disipation. I don't know what all was changed though. That's just what I've read. You would have to do further research. 166 and Cuttin Scott, sponsors here from The Cutting Edge, could give you the low down.

Last edited:
DONT WHAT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD, BUT WHAT IS THE PRICE ON A DOLMAR 5100 IN THE NORTH EAST? JUST FOUND ONE NIB AT A LOCAL PAWN SHOP, THEIR ASKING 249...:cheers:

DONT WHAT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD, BUT WHAT IS THE PRICE ON A DOLMAR 5100 IN THE NORTH EAST? JUST FOUND ONE NIB AT A LOCAL PAWN SHOP, THEIR ASKING 249...:cheers:

If it's indeed NIB, Get off your computer & RUN & buy it. They are running over $500 up here and I think mid $400 in most of the states if im not mistaken.

My local dealer recently sold me a 5105 with the 18" Bar and .375 chain (yes, 3/8) for $465. I have run about 10-15 tanks of gas through it so far. The cat muffler is nice - you can't even smell the thing when it's running. I guess it is likely to clog, though, so I better start looking for a non-cat muffler. Does the 5100 muffler fit?

Was going to get a new 5105 in MI last Saturday for 385 choice of 20 or 18 3/8ths. Wife ok'd the extra cash for 6400 night before. :clap:

The price for the 1505 with 18" .325 should be 530 bucks.
The 5100S 18" 3/8 not sure but i guess around 450 seen it's the last one im hoping to get a bit off... In the US they are way cheaper for sure.

In Europe they charge you over 900 BUcks for the same saw!:bang:

The price for the 1505 with 18" .325 should be 530 bucks.
The 5100S 18" 3/8 not sure but i guess around 450 seen it's the last one im hoping to get a bit off... In the US they are way cheaper for sure.

In Europe they charge you over 900 BUcks for the same saw!:bang:

The chain they come with is not good, regardless of pitch, if it is an "original Dolmar". Those are rebranded Oregon "safety" chain.

My 5100S is faster with .325 Oregon 21LP, than with 3/8" 73LP - and also faster with the .325LP than with Stihl 25RSC. All those differences are too small to really care about, so don't worry about the pitch!

My local dealer recently sold me a 5105 with the 18" Bar and .375 chain (yes, 3/8) for $465. I have run about 10-15 tanks of gas through it so far. The cat muffler is nice - you can't even smell the thing when it's running. I guess it is likely to clog, though, so I better start looking for a non-cat muffler. Does the 5100 muffler fit?

As far as I know, yes. The 5105 is sold with the non-cat one outside the US.

The cat one also was on the latest 5100s, so make sure the one you order is the non-cat one!

Last edited:
As far as I know, yes. The 5105 is sold with the non-cat one outside the US.

The cat one also was on the latest 5100s, so make sure the one you order is the non-cat one!

Can't you just mod the muffler and remove the cat? I know with cars we would take a demolition hammer to the cat and smash all the honeycomb out of there for better performance. I will have to take the muffler off and get a look see.

Latest posts

Back