Dolmar 5100 wont run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks alot..i might just call dolmar in the morning. Typical dealers here in tx..wont service anything but their saws...but the stihl dealer here will work on ANY SAW..says alot about dolmar service centers! lol

Don't throw the dealer network under the bus quite yet! Mag Power will take care of your problem-Thems good people.

Ok as long as i can get this taken care of this is causing me a headache as i need this saw for the bigger trees. I will call them in the morning to sort this out..or attempt to. I just wish the crap head dealer 80 miles from me would take it in to fix it under warranty.

Thanks alot..i might just call dolmar in the morning. Typical dealers here in tx..wont service anything but their saws...but the stihl dealer here will work on ANY SAW..says alot about dolmar service centers! lol

WHY do you say that ???

just because the place you bought it from went under and you found a jerk of another dealer dont mean crap about dolmar service centers..they ARE all individualls you know ?? shoot,,ALL the stihl dealers around me are jerks but i dont blame all stihl service centers..
i found the Dolmar dealers some of the BEST places to deal with..
i think you should think of WHO you are dealing with and NOT dealers of that brand in general and take like THALL's and others advice and go over the dealers head and you may be pleasantly surprised by what happens..
AND i am URE there are some good dealers in TX..have to find a good one and i'm sure you will.

Ok so i pulled the muffler off..left the intake intact and there is a minimal amount of scoring. Nothing too serious and they put 89 octane 50:1 mix in the tank. That is what the dealer suggested me to run in this saw. I called the dealer 82 miles from my home and he said he can not service my saw bought from the dealer here in bastrop since he is out of business and i dont have my original receipt..thanks to my boys! We never ran the saw at WOT more than a few minutes before taking a break on big mesquites. I own 4 stihl ms260 pro's and have never had a problem with them like with this dolmar.
Man, them muffler screws can be a bear to remove, can,t they? I don't know what kinda #### they use on them things. Did you have to remove the bar?

oh they were tough but a little finesse with my mini impact driver and they came right out no problem. I did have to remove the bar to get to the inner screw but that was nothing.

well my saw is supposably out of warranty by 3 weeks so they said it would cost me $250 to fix! Its bull crap because i only bought this saw 8 months ago and used it for maybe a month total. The place i bought it moved and changed their number and i happened to run across the place today on a trip to the shop 80 miles from me. The guy does NOT want to be cooperative and says the carb, piston, crank and clutch are all bad..a buddy of mine at the stihl shop says none of such is bad and it just needs an adjustment and hi-octane gas.

well my saw is supposably out of warranty by 3 weeks so they said it would cost me $250 to fix! Its bull crap because i only bought this saw 8 months ago and used it for maybe a month total. The place i bought it moved and changed their number and i happened to run across the place today on a trip to the shop 80 miles from me. The guy does NOT want to be cooperative and says the carb, piston, crank and clutch are all bad..a buddy of mine at the stihl shop says none of such is bad and it just needs an adjustment and hi-octane gas.

WOW. You need to do yourself a favor and do NOT go back to that dealer that obviously wants to sell you a "new" saw and not repair your old one. That guy is crooked. If it's out of warranty, pop the jug off and have a look.

Your buddy is correct. Give Dolmar a call 770-569-4945and give them your Info. I'm pretty sure they will help you out. You could always send the saw to one of the site sponsors to have a look at it. If it really is still under warranty it should be fix for free.:cheers:

Scott and Steve at the Cutting Edge are nice guys to deal with. 518-692-2878

WHY do you say that ???

just because the place you bought it from went under and you found a jerk of another dealer dont mean crap about dolmar service centers..they ARE all individualls you know ?? shoot,,ALL the stihl dealers around me are jerks but i dont blame all stihl service centers..
i found the Dolmar dealers some of the BEST places to deal with..
i think you should think of WHO you are dealing with and NOT dealers of that brand in general and take like THALL's and others advice and go over the dealers head and you may be pleasantly surprised by what happens..
AND i am URE there are some good dealers in TX..have to find a good one and i'm sure you will.

Strewth -- the thread right above this one at the moment is "The value of a great dealer," a Dolmar dealer at that.

Jack

How'd you buy the saw? Do you still have the receipt? Can you prove date of purchase?

1. If your stihl buddy thinks he can fix it that easily then let him have a look provided that he's willing.
2. That dealer is a shyster.
3. Gather up all that you can and give dolmar a call...

Sounds like you should sell it to me then go get something better. Want my number?:)

Doesnt make any sense because dolmars are 1 year warranty. I also get suspicious if someone is making conclusions without having seen your saw. How could they possibly know it will be $250? If its the piston & cylinder most dealers would charge you a bit more than that & if its just the piston a lot less.

Like others said, call the 770-569-4945 because I dont believe this dealer is doing you right.

Just doesnt make any sense to me. I called dolmar and they said they would get with their distributor and see if they could help me but to no avail they keep telling me to take it to a place even further than 80 miles from me and that place has a turn around of 2 days on fixing it..but its all the way in DALLAS..a 5 1/2 hour drive from me. I am just getting ready to say screw the saw, sell it to someone who can fix it..and go buy me something else! Thanks to all the help you guys. I will try to call the guys over at The Cutting Edge to see if they can help me out. So if there is anyone who wants to buy this saw before i can get this all straight PM ME!

Over heating

More then likely your saw over heated. Causing the exhaust side to score. They had issues with the way the spr plug wire was routed between the starter and handle housing. It restricted air flow to your flywheel. They have fixed this on the new 5105. Solution = re route the wire and/or run a high octane fuel(104-115) to lower cumbustion temps.
I run aviation fuel (with full synthetic oil only) through my 5100s and it loves it.

Wasn't there an issue regarding a problem with the intake boot on these saws resulting in lots of fried motors? I believe someone mentioned that there was a solution coming out soon. That's a real shame that you've had to go through this. Sell it and go get your hands on a 346xp/non-cat if you can find one.

I might have missed it but did not see where you said the compression was checked. The saw shop where I buy chain and filters does not charge me to pull the spark plug and test for compression. Thats the first thing to do if you think there is piston or cylinder damage. If that checks out okay then it is nothing more than an ignition or carb problem. I am guessing you made sure the screen in the muffler is not plugged with carbon? The screen is the first thing i throw in the trash when i buy a new saw but i do not cut around dry grass or anything that ignites easy either.

Latest posts

Back