Dolmar 5100 wont run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
88 you said one saw shop said the piston, crank and cylinder are bad. Did you see them test the compression? And another shop says the saw just needs adjustment's? Do yourself a favor and watch someone test the compression. Your problem may not be any thing near as bad as you think.

I had bought a new Dolmar 5100s 6 months ago and it ran fine. One day letting one of my boys cut it simply lost power and quit running. I have been running a 50:1 ratio on the gas using the dolmar synthetic oil. I tried to take it back to the place of purchase and they have gone out of business! Next closest place is about 70-80 miles from me! What should i do and are there any suggestions? Clean air filter, clean fuel pickup, new fresh fuel, has spark and motor isnt locked up. Thanks alot!

P.S Im a newbie to this forum so HOWDY!

First off Welcome to AS
Someone just posted about a similar issue the other day, trouble with there Dolmar and dealer out of business. If I remember correctly he contacted the company and explained his problem and they took care of him. So if all else fails give them a call. It might be wise not to do too much to it yourself if you are planning to pursue warrenty on the saw. Just my .02 worth

Ok well i have tinkered with it some and have found when i try to start it there is gas that is leaking out of the muffler. I checked the screen and it is not clogged. But i have fuel that leaks out of it in a minimal amount when i crank it over. I have tried to remove the muffler but the screws are so dang tight im getting nowhere.

Ok well i have tinkered with it some and have found when i try to start it there is gas that is leaking out of the muffler. I checked the screen and it is not clogged. But i have fuel that leaks out of it in a minimal amount when i crank it over. I have tried to remove the muffler but the screws are so dang tight im getting nowhere.

if it's still under warranty as you state, you shouldn't take it apart.

if you strip the head of those muffler screws, your screwed. (no pun intended)

just went back and reread an earlier post you made stating you had removed the muffler.

what gives?

Last edited:

just went back and reread an earlier post you made stating you had removed the muffler.

what gives?

he also mentioned looking at the exhaust side of the p/c.maybe someone needs to get their story staight or go fishing somewhere else.

Ok so i pulled the muffler off..left the intake intact and there is a minimal amount of scoring. Nothing too serious and they put 89 octane 50:1 mix in the tank. That is what the dealer suggested me to run in this saw. I called the dealer 82 miles from my home and he said he can not service my saw bought from the dealer here in bastrop since he is out of business and i dont have my original receipt..thanks to my boys! We never ran the saw at WOT more than a few minutes before taking a break on big mesquites. I own 4 stihl ms260 pro's and have never had a problem with them like with this dolmar.

oh they were tough but a little finesse with my mini impact driver and they came right out no problem. I did have to remove the bar to get to the inner screw but that was nothing.

The above quotes are in chronological order.
As discounthunter said, hmmmm

what gives?

good detective work watson---- you go to the head of the class.:cheers::cheers:

Ok to straighten this situation up i meant to say i cant remove the carburetor screws that im afraid they will strip so i will just leave that side of the saw alone. No confusion meant here just got my words tangled up. :bang:

Ok to straighten this situation up i meant to say i cant remove the carburetor screws that im afraid they will strip so i will just leave that side of the saw alone. No confusion meant here just got my words tangled up. :bang:

i'm more confused then ever. those screws are never so tight that you would have trouble getting them out.

Don't worry about the ass clowns. If you have gas coming out the muffler your plug is wet. Have you tried a new spark plug? Have you checked your spark to the plug?

I have spark to the plug no problem..very good spark at that. Just kind of odd seeing gas come out of the muffler but no fire. Even put richer gas in the saw and a 32:1 with syn oil and still no luck. Im taking it to houston in the morning to have a buddy of mine there look it over.

I have spark to the plug no problem..very good spark at that. Just kind of odd seeing gas come out of the muffler but no fire. Even put richer gas in the saw and a 32:1 with syn oil and still no luck. Im taking it to houston in the morning to have a buddy of mine there look it over.

Stop some where and get a compression check if your buddy can't do it and good luck.

how much compression should i be looking for? can i do that with my automotive one i have in the garage?

Start a new thread asking compression on 5100 or call dolmar, they will tell you psi. Take your spark plug in to a parts store and see if they have a tester with the right thread and size. If not find a saw shop in houston. It ain't going to cost but a few bucks.

no i only used this saw for 18" -20" cedar's and it cut through them like butter. It had been running for maybe 30 minutes then lost power and cut off. Started it one time after that and it pretty much killed itself after it smoked a little bit.

That's big wood and probably dusty conditions to be set at 14,500. You should have backed off to about 200.

Mine lost power once when the diaphragm got kinked somehow and the carb was flooding the cylinder. It still started and ran though, but ran super rich. I then switched carbs off my 510 and the problem was solved.

The smoke had to be coming from the saw running on the edge of the limiter going off. That's asking a lot from a stock saw without a muffler mod for cooling purposes.

Back