Dolmar 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonka

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Awhile back I was trying to decide between a 5100 or a 346xp. I had pretty much decided to go with the 346 when I came across 5100's for sale for less than 300.00 . We talked for alittle bit about Dolmars and the fact that they're a good saw, it's just most people don't know they exist. Well I thought for less than 300 I'd give one a try. Haven't used it much yet, about 2 tankfulls, so its not close to broke in. It's so close in size to my 357xp, but nowhere near the power. It's actually alittle large to be a small saw. If I want to use something that size I might as well grab the 357. At this point I don't know why people were so excited about these? I wish I would have bought a 346.

I have both saws modded. Keep using your 5100, you'll like it more and more. They both have the same weight. The 346xp is not balanced, it will roll over on it's side. I have 4 Huskies and 2 Dolmars. My 5100 will smoke my 346xp.

The 5100 is no doubt heavier than the 346xp.
However, there has been some debate as to how much heavier.
The statements, from sourced assumed to be reliable, vary from slightly more than 1/4 pound to a full pound.....:bang: :laugh:

Regarding size, the 5100 powerhead is two cm (.8 inch) wider, probably due to the inboard clutch, while the other measurements are about the same.

Last edited:
do muffler mod,run 5 tanks of fuel through it,and it will wake up,and you will be impress, i'am with my 5100s, its a ripper

When I got my 5100, I thought I made a mistake. It felt slower than my 346 and 260. After ten tanks I did muffler mods, now with 100 tanks on it I wouldn't part with the saw. No stock saw under 50cc will cut with it here.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see your all pleased with your 5100s. I'll have to give mine alittle more time. Hopefully it'll wake up then. I'm running a 16" .325 bar with woodsman pro chain. The stock chain is just about worthless. As far as the muffler mod, how big of an opening did you use? Thanks again.

Back