Dolmar 5100s died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all the 5100's from the factory i've gotten in have been set the same way. 14,200- 14,300, very consistent. haven't had one come back for any reason. had one 510 scored, doesn't make a very good stump saw. (Dolmar warranty took care of it.) replaced cyl/piston sent in paper work and dolmar paid, no permission needed.

they don't come from the factory at 14,500, every one i've gotten in has been set at 14,200 - 14,300 and have yet have one come back for any reason, but if you've fried 3 differant brands, 4 saws and the 2 5100 set at 14,000 doesn't sound like a lean problem or a brand problem but an op problem.( But thats hard to admit.)

Where do you get 4 saws? I had a carb issue with a 192 smashed an 036 with a skid loader and my 026 that paid for itself a thousand times over and was just plain old worn out went to the chainsaw graveyard. I don't see where thats 4 saws or operator error. And I have a great dealer that tachs everything to ensure no issues on being to lean and one of the two I ordered was tachin A hair under 15,000 and the other was at 14'300. Believe me you being a dealer i'm sure you've seen some pretty horrific things done with saws, I hang out at the stihl dealer for coffee every morning and I know what he sees and it's like that across the board, a guy comes in buying what he feels is the end all and be all of chainsaws and thinks he can treat it like a framing hammer, I know. I'm not that guy. I put food on the table using these things and I treat them as such.

Details sir, lets hear the details, not a one liner. What was the long wait over? Was it Stihl or was it the dealer that made you wait? Bearing failure is very rare in fairly new saws, what was the cause?

I find Stihl to be very fast at addressing warranty issues. With me the call is made and the answer is ususally given within a few seconds, not two months, not two minutes, its within a few seconds like it should be far as I'm concerned.

I agree. If there's no question, I just put it though on the computer as warranty. Never gets rejected. If there is, I place a call and the answer is immediate. Usually it takes the form "if you think it's not customer related, go ahead". Heck, often they will even agree to play for the "parts only" if a customer fries a brand new saw with straight gas (oh yes... it happens...).

they don't come from the factory at 14,500, every one i've gotten in has been set at 14,200 - 14,300 and have yet have one come back for any reason, but if you've fried 3 differant brands, 4 saws and the 2 5100 set at 14,000 doesn't sound like a lean problem or a brand problem but an op problem.( But thats hard to admit.)

If they come from the factory set for non-ethanol gas, and you use E10, they are going to be lean.

WRT the "wot". That number is a fiction.. or a rough guide at best. Whether a saw runs at 14k or 15k won't make a heck of a lot of difference to life UNLESS it's set too lean. Every manf sends the saw out from the factory set to pass EPA. Why? it's the law... And yes, they are set real lean because most saws today barely pass the regulations if they aren't.

As for WOT.... Stihl numbers are mid-point and can vary +/- 1000 rpm for "correct tune". A dealer is not allowed (by Federal law) to enrichen the carb anymore than the factory allows. Great...

Last edited:
I agree. If there's no question, I just put it though on the computer as warranty. Never gets rejected. If there is, I place a call and the answer is immediate. Usually it takes the form "if you think it's not customer related, go ahead". Heck, often they will even agree to play for the "parts only" if a customer fries a brand new saw with straight gas (oh yes... it happens...).

Your right. My 9 yr old son bless his heart put straight gas in my new bg 85 blower when I was at work cause he wanted to help dad and I took it back to ashenfelters who is 3rd generation stihl and they did send a new piston out of pitty and the guy didn't even charge me. Great dealer!

I'm down here in Northern Virginia, about 30 miles from DC. The folks we deal with is Mid-Atlantic Stihl in North Carolina. They treat us great..

I grew up hanging around John Woody, former owner/pres. I believe (i am his sons age). If that company is anything like he is, I am sure they are pleasure to deal with.

I grew up hanging around John Woody, former owner/pres. I believe (i am his sons age). If that company is anything like he is, I am sure they are pleasure to deal with.

Well Mid-Atlantic is owned by Stihl Inc now. They bought them out a few years back. The only thing that seem to change was who owned the building. All the folks stayed and run that place like they always have. Yes they are indeed a pleasure to work with. I've never had any problems of any kind with them. If they can put up with me they gotta be a helluva outfit and they are,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If they come from the factory set for non-ethanol gas, and you use E15, they are going to be lean.

And if you use E-15, you are automatically voiding the warranty on any fuel-related repair work.

By Federal law, E-15 cannot be called 'gasoline,' and your saws are made to run on GASOLINE! So if you put E-15 in your saw, you and your money shall soon be parted.

And if you use E-15, you are automatically voiding the warranty on any fuel-related repair work.

By Federal law, E-15 cannot be called 'gasoline,' and your saws are made to run on GASOLINE! So if you put E-15 in your saw, you and your money shall soon be parted.

Damn, I meant to say E10!!!!:monkey: The original post is now edited...

Last edited:
You did good. Sounds like your telling him the parts would come out if no under warranty got the ball rolling there, good for you. That was very odd the way I see it. He's waiting on warranty approval after he's already done the saw, doesn't make sense to me. If they said no and you said you wasn't paying either what was he planning on doing, keeping the saw untill someone pays. I'm glad you got it striaghtened out and all turned out well.

Yeah, I wondered about that myself. On the other hand, maybe I should just chalk it up to this dealer's lack of experience with chainsaws, or maybe with this distributor. I don't think he has been selling saws long, and his main line of business seems to be yard maintenance equipment and snow throwers. He appears to be learning fast though. Yesterday I took a look to see how he had set the adjustment screws, and this is what I found:
DSCN1447.jpg
It looks like he removed the limiter tabs. I turned the screws 360° before putting them back where I found them.

RPM maxes out at 14430, unloaded, and the plug looks dark chocolate, or maybe black-strap molasses, brown.

The comment made in this thread that cold weather can drive a high-strung saw like this over the edge in combination with E10 and the lack of a slightly rich setting may well be right on the button. My saw failed on 0°F day.

The same goes for this whole forum, of course...

Ha, just remember fool without me this forum wouldn't put up with you, hell no one would, your my knobslobber buddy, don't forget it,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

New guy here.Great forum.I have been interested in buying a 5100 and the bashers don't scare me away but price just might.I'm in southern In.and the closest dealer in Louisville,Ky is pricing these at $460.00.You guys paying that much for these and are there any other options?Amick's list them for $395.00 but I guess no online sales.Thanks,Ron

New guy here.Great forum.I have been interested in buying a 5100 and the bashers don't scare me away but price just might.I'm in southern In.and the closest dealer in Louisville,Ky is pricing these at $460.00.You guys paying that much for these and are there any other options?Amick's list them for $395.00 but I guess no online sales.Thanks,Ron

Paid $400 for mine, 18" bar, out the door, 3 years ago....Came with 2 good loops of chisel chain (plus original safety chain) and 6 pack of 1 gallon mix oil.

Paid $400 for mine, 18" bar, out the door, 3 years ago....Came with 2 good loops of chisel chain (plus original safety chain) and 6 pack of 1 gallon mix oil.
Good deal. I think closer to $425 +Tax and no freebies is more the norm in '09.

You're paying nearly as much for the 5100 now as a NE346. The bargain factor is what made these appealing IMHO. I'd rather have the Husky.

375.00 with tax is what im seeing .....I have 6 bro has 1 with 0 issues .......My first one has been run hard bought in 1/06

Last edited:
Back