Dolmar 5100s issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Dolmar 5100s. It runs really good. My problem is restarts. If it runs out of fuel it won;t restart after I fill it. If I turn it off and try to restart it it won't. It acts like I'm flooding it on the first pull. If you let it sit for 20 minutes or so it will start right up. It smokes a little when it starts up like it was flooded. Where should I start looking.

Thanks Scott

Are you using the choke when you start it warm?

Those saws are real easy to flood, but it never has been a problem when I did things correctly.

I've tried both ways. It just started happening. It always started right up before. It kind of sucks because I had/have 15 cord of scrag timber to cut up. I have to cut then swith to a different saw for a while then back to the Dolmar. To see if it will start.

Scott

I wonder if you have a clogged tank vent. Next time you use it, crack the fuel cap immediately after shutting it down. If there is a vacuum, your fuel tank vent is clogged.

Will it restart if you shut it off before it's warmed up? I'm wondering if the coil is giving you problems once it's warmed up. Have you checked for spark in the "no restart" mode?

As Sawtroll mentioned these things are a pig to restart if flooded. However I think maybe something else is up but the fact it blows smoke when it finally restarts suggests a fuel issue.

Has it done this since new? Checking for spark (when it won't start) is a good idea, even though it does sound fuel related.

I haven't seen this problem in the PS-5100, but the PS-510 is notorious for this. The best way I've found to start it (even cold) is to move the switch to choke, then back to On. This will set your high idle, but not choke it. Pull it once, sometimes it will start right up. If it doesn't move it to choke and pull once or twice, then back to On and it should start right up.

Has it done this since new? Checking for spark (when it won't start) is a good idea, even though it does sound fuel related.

I haven't seen this problem in the PS-5100, but the PS-510 is notorious for this. The best way I've found to start it (even cold) is to move the switch to choke, then back to On. This will set your high idle, but not choke it. Pull it once, sometimes it will start right up. If it doesn't move it to choke and pull once or twice, then back to On and it should start right up.

I do the move switch to choke position then to On then try to start it. I do this every time when warm starting or it will flood for sure.

On the 5100S (and most other saws) I just move the switch from off to on when the saw is really warm. That leaves "fast idle" (or the "halv choke") out of the picture.

Make sure you have the carb. intake upgrade. I had the same trouble and found the carb. bolts were loose. Spike60 turned me on to that simple fix.

Make sure you have the carb. intake upgrade. I had the same trouble and found the carb. bolts were loose. Spike60 turned me on to that simple fix.

That upgrate happened in nov. 2006, according to my memory - the month of production is on a label at the rear of the saw, as I remember it (my saw isn't here).

Latest posts

Back