Dolmar 5105 model differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
I would appreciate some help with a Dolmar 5105 i bought before Christmas (along with a lot of other stuff as mentioned in another thread) I already own a 2010 5105 but i bought this other one and it says it's a 2009 PS-5105 SC according to the sticker.

What does the "SC" mean? What are the differences between a SC and my 2010 non SC?

The differences i can spot easily on the 2009 SC saw are:

- The 2009 SC model i have does not have the "Easy start" recoil starter. It looks like a completely different part to my 2010 saw. Is this a starter from a 5100?

- The engine code on the saws stickers are a completely different number between the two saws, so the differences must be more than skin deep. Obviously engine parts are different or it would have the same engine code?

- The 2009 SC does not have the auto return stop switch. It's got the older switch like a 5100 where you have to flick the switch back up to turn it on again, it does not return automatically to "ON" after being shut off like my newer 2010 saw.

Other than that they feel exactly the same (other than my 2010 saw being lighter from a MM with the cat being removed) throttle response is similar and they feel basically identical in the cut.

Also just wanted to say i am glad i bought my 7900 when i did. Looked on a Dolmar website and the new model the 7910 has lost 0.5 hp in power but gained 0.3 kg in weight! All because of fuel savings?? If i am using an underpowered saw i will be doing the same job for longer so the actual fuel saving is minimal. With a more powerful saw i do my cuts quicker and am finished the job quicker. My saw will be shut off and i will be finished while the other saw is still cutting. Somehow i think my saw being off has the better fuel savings over the new model. Why go and ruin one of the best 80cc class saws ? :mad:

The 2009 came with the non easy start recoil which is basically a 5100s recoil setup. They were also 14,500 max like the 5100s vs 13,800 on the 2010. I believe there were different ign coils on the different years also. There was a change to the crankshaft and I believe the flywheel somewhere around 2010. Hope this gives you some info.

The 2009 came with the non easy start recoil which is basically a 5100s recoil setup. They were also 14,500 max like the 5100s vs 13,800 on the 2010. I believe there were different ign coils on the different years also. There was a change to the crankshaft and I believe the flywheel somewhere around 2010. Hope this gives you some info.

Thanks very much. Pretty much answers everything. I had a feeling that the early 5105 would have been more similar to a 5100 like i said but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I had not put it on the tach yet so i had not checked the revs. The change to the crankshaft and flywheel would have been made to my newer saw as it's a 2010 so that explains the different engine code on the sticker.

Anyone know what the PS5105 "SC" stands for? Just curious, as i know a fair bit about the older Dolkita's, but not so much about the newer ones i now own.

The 7900 to 7910 move had to do with emissions, not fuel economy. Dolmar knew they had a popular saw with the 7900. If I can find a clean 7900 I'll probably grab it.

The 7900 to 7910 move had to do with emissions, not fuel economy. Dolmar knew they had a popular saw with the 7900. If I can find a clean 7900 I'll probably grab it.

Yeah i know, but they always advertise these eco-friendly de-tuned saws as being so much more fuel efficient to wow you and cover up the power loss. Same thing it the end really as a saw using less fuel simply cannot put out more emissions than the amount of fuel it is using. Less fuel used means less emissions.

I hear you about a good condition plain jane 7900. If i come across any I'll be keeping them for myself. Best 80cc class saw i have ever run. :bowdown: Mine after some small mods cuts with my ex bosses 066. Plus a 7900 is a joy to use all day long. You won't hear me saying that about an 066. ;)

Thanks very much. Pretty much answers everything. I had a feeling that the early 5105 would have been more similar to a 5100 like i said but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I had not put it on the tach yet so i had not checked the revs. The change to the crankshaft and flywheel would have been made to my newer saw as it's a 2010 so that explains the different engine code on the sticker.

Anyone know what the PS5105 "SC" stands for? Just curious, as i know a fair bit about the older Dolkita's, but not so much about the newer ones i now own.
Speed Coil

Latest posts

Back