Dolmar 6100 vs ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys I think you helped me decide on the dolmar . I love stihls myself but I think that because they have the market they do a bit of gouging and the dealers seem to take full advantage of this fact. I'm not going to just give out 700 to any old fool

I've been thinking about the 6100 and have read and discussed all that there is on them thus far. From the guys that I have talked with the 6100 only gets outshined by the husky 562xp and it's only by a hair (stock vs stock). Personally I fix my own saws and will order any needed parts from edge and engine for any of my dolmars. Parts will be here in a couple days (same wait if you order from a stihl dealer). I also know the work is done right if I do it myself. HECK You're in NW PA??? You're not that far from E&E one of the best online Dolmar parts retailers IMHO.

http://www.edgeandengine.com/store/replacement-parts/dolmar-oem-parts-accessories.html

Stock weights:
6100 = 13.2 lb
362 mtronic= 13.2 lb
6400 = 14.1 lb
441mtronic = 14.6
7910 = 14.7 lb
440 = 14.8 lb

Buy the 6100 and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you! LOL!

I hate to say anything about the Dolmar because I have not ran any of the late model saws - if other folks say they are good then I believe them. My vote however would be to go with the Stihl, and get the M-tronic as well. It has been stated to have the upgraded air filter system similar to the MS261, and the M-tronic is a joy to use since the saw is always in the best tune possible. Keep in mind though that I have not run a 362 - I had its predecessor the 361 and I really liked that saw, but moved it on down the road on a trade for a 441 M-tronic ported by Mastermind. Since there are alot of Stihl dealers local, find one you like and trust and see if he will match the one that gave you the best price. The Stihl will most likely hold its value better in the event you ever decide to move it down the road for whatever reason.

Good luck with your decision - I'm sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make. You stated in your OP that the Dolmar seemed to be less quality and you were very impressed with the build of the Stihl. Your initial perceptions may change, but if they don't you may always wish you had gone with the Stihl. $150 is alot of money I know, but over the lifetime of a saw it's not much. I like the old saying to buy once, cry once............

Waylan

Sounds like the some of the Stihl dealers around this area. I'm sure they have great saws and I will never knock them, (who am I kidding yes I will knock some of them) but the 2 original Stihl dealers in our area were such pompuss azzes that it has just totally turned me off of the brand. We had a Homelite dealer who started dealing Jonsered when Homelite started slipping and he was just a good crabby old guy who had saws and was good about fixing them.

Not to hijack the thread, but I wouldn't let the condition or size of a shop deter my purchase. I'm an old biker and am used to dealing with dirty guys in dirty shops. Its about how good of a dirty shop is it.

That puts you at a serious disadvantage regarding the 60cc class at this point - but each to his own! :givebeer:
No disadvantage whatsoever, as last I checked there is more than one brand of saw cutting lots of wood for lots of guys.
As you yourself said... each to his own.

First the 362 is 12.8 (non-mtronic). Mtronic adds 0.2 lbs. But why would you buy a non-mtronic???

Second, if a guy were inclined he could fix anything he wants on his own chainsaw and all it takes is some time reading and asking questions on here. You don't need to depend on a dealer at all!

That being said, the only shops that are worth anything around here are the small ones that enjoy the saws and the work! Most of these small guys know way more than the big dealerships and would try harder to earn and keep your business. I don't "professionally" run a saw shop, but if I did, I already know 100x more that the $15/hr desk jockey they got sitting behind the computer at the Stihl dealers in des moines. Small engine shops that specialize in chainsaws are usually where you'll get the best labor rates and the best knowledge/advice. I'd rather go to Wal-Mart for a wild thing before going to buy a saw at a Stihl dealer around here. Now I know there are good dealers out there so don't get me wrong. You just need to know which to trust with your money and your saws, and if you can't trust a dealer, trust yourself!

Last edited:
If I wanted a husky or a Johnny red id go to tractor supply or lowes heck they probably sell em at dollar general by now lol
My dad has a bigger husky the father in law has the j rod .. Neither are anything to write to mom about IMHO

Just for more future reading. Saw hawgs has a new thread that just started about a 6100 that has some tree service time on it.

I'd post the link but the a**hole moderators don't allow links from hawgs over here. if you want proof the next word I type will the be the site name they banned...

example>>>> ********.com

Do a google search for sawhawgs with a "Z" instead of a "S"

Last edited:
If I wanted a husky or a Johnny red id go to tractor supply or lowes heck they probably sell em at dollar general by now lol
My dad has a bigger husky the father in law has the j rod .. Neither are anything to write to mom about IMHO

Define "bigger" a 460 Rancher is a bigger saw but so is a 390xp. Anything to write home about won't be at Lowe's or TSC.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Nothing against smaller shops here, we had a smaller Chevy dealer that was real honest, no rip offs when doing repairs and a big dealer that was just plain crooked doing repairs. Just figures the small honest one is gone. steve

Nothing against smaller shops here, we had a smaller Chevy dealer that was real honest, no rip offs when doing repairs and a big dealer that was just plain crooked doing repairs. Just figures the small honest one is gone. steve
I'd rather do honest business and take the chance on having to find a different dealer in the future...

A broken-in 562xp or 362 M will hand a 6100 it's ass all day long, and in bigger wood, and get you better MPG while doing it, and beat the snot of the 6100 if you resell as well. The only reason to get a Dolly 6100 is because you happen to think a used SAAB is an interesting car to own.

Well, the KWF test report say 13.2, regardless what Stihl said at different places.....

SawTroll, my point is that Stihl is probably doing it as some type of ploy, so that when people compare the saws by weight, it dont look as bad lol.

A broken-in 562xp or 362 M will hand a 6100 it's ass all day long, and in bigger wood, and get you better MPG while doing it, and beat the snot of the 6100 if you resell as well. The only reason to get a Dolly 6100 is because you happen to think a used SAAB is an interesting car to own.
562xp = $740msrp
6100= $610msrp

I'll take a same weight saw with 0.2 HP less for $130 less.

Latest posts

Back