Dolmar 6100 vs ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both.

The 362 is a great saw, lots of power....but....the air filter is TERRIBLE. If I had know better at the time of purchase I would have bought a 441 or a 261, which both use an element style filter. The 362 filter lets too many fine particles through.

The Dolmars are cool because you can easily and cheaply get more HP out of the same chasis by just swapping cylinders.

my $.02.

I will agree with you, but it was the bad reviews on the Husky website I was concerned about, not the good ones. Also, was just back in there. Knowing what we now know from this website, the Husky Reps comments on starting and hesitation issues were wrong! All the time I was on the fence as to which saw to buy, I wanted to see Husky come out and say 1) we identified what is causing the problems, and 2) we have resolved the issue. Sort of like Shihl recalling all of the 661s.

Everyone will have occasional production problems, give me the assurance that you address them properly.

I have both.

The 362 is a great saw, lots of power....but....the air filter is TERRIBLE. If I had know better at the time of purchase I would have bought a 441 or a 261, which both use an element style filter. The 362 filter lets too many fine particles through.

The Dolmars are cool because you can easily and cheaply get more HP out of the same chasis by just swapping cylinders.

my $.02.
The new 362 MT has an improved air filter set up. Same as the 261&441. So if you want you can upgrade.

On the other hand I see the air filter discussion as a little bit of over reacting. The fine dust getting through was completely normal in the older days and was as far as I understood a sign of a good air filter. How much it really is a problem no one really knows. I only know that with a sharp chain the problem is reduced to a minimum.

Further you cannot swap out the cylinder to a larger size in the 6100! I believe that you are talking about the 6400. So all comparisons are mute.

I will agree with you, but it was the bad reviews on the Husky website I was concerned about, not the good ones. Also, was just back in there. Knowing what we now know from this website, the Husky Reps comments on starting and hesitation issues were wrong! All the time I was on the fence as to which saw to buy, I wanted to see Husky come out and say 1) we identified what is causing the problems, and 2) we have resolved the issue. Sort of like Shihl recalling all of the 661s.

Everyone will have occasional production problems, give me the assurance that you address them properly.
Gotcha. I didn't quite get the jist of what you meant in there.

And yes, I agree, if something has an issue, it's no a big deal if they step up to the plate and take care of it. If they ignore the problem, that ain't right. This is especially true with this A/T / M-tronic thing. It's new technology for this arena and the OEM's are still learning it. Myself, I think it's a good thing and they will get it right, but they shouldn't ignore the early builds and the people that took the chance on it, if there are issues. They should bend over backwards for a solution or it will cost them future sales.

This has been great discussion. After running 5 tanks threw my 6100 I am not letting it go any time soon. I just cannot justify the extra $$. Always have been partial to Swedish saws. But know I can't say that. The thing is to each there own.:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

PS This week end hope to run Several more tanks threw it.

Well after much deliberation I found a close honest dealer willing to sell me the husqvarna 562xp for 675$ comes with 20" bar and 2 year warranty I don't even have to buy any case of junk oil to get that extra year warranty. . They have sold many 562"s and claim everyone raves them up ..only a couple needed a simple update code . This shop has the diagnostic equipment and know how if a need arises so I think in the next month I'm going to pull the trigger. . I just sold my 290 stihl yesterday so I need to find something before spring creeps in . I'm no husky fan but I'm just hearing way too much great reviews of speed and agility to this saw to not consider it .seems for the 60cc class its a step ahead of the pack

Well after much deliberation I found a close honest dealer willing to sell me the husqvarna 562xp for 675$ comes with 20" bar and 2 year warranty I don't even have to buy any case of junk oil to get that extra year warranty. . They have sold many 562"s and claim everyone raves them up ..only a couple needed a simple update code . This shop has the diagnostic equipment and know how if a need arises so I think in the next month I'm going to pull the trigger. . I just sold my 290 stihl yesterday so I need to find something before spring creeps in

Glad you found a good dealer. :clap::clap:

If I could find a ms362 CM for around 700$ I'd be tempted on that saw but like I said earlier most stihl dealers think they have gold on their shelves apparently. . If I buy one of these auto tune new saws I need to be sure there's a knowledgable modern thinking dealer who understands the carb and has tools to work on it. ..not grandpa Louie's saw shop located on a cow path road .. or a desk jockey college kid at the big outdoor emporium who reads you the specs off the brochure if you have a issue . As technology moves ahead so must the dealers and their skills and know how

Last edited:
6400 can be upgraded to 79cc or as far as 84cc with after market big bore. For now 6100 is it. No big bore. 362 can be had for under 700 easily

Well after much deliberation I found a close honest dealer willing to sell me the husqvarna 562xp for 675$ comes with 20" bar and 2 year warranty I don't even have to buy any case of junk oil to get that extra year warranty. . They have sold many 562"s and claim everyone raves them up ..only a couple needed a simple update code . This shop has the diagnostic equipment and know how if a need arises so I think in the next month I'm going to pull the trigger. . I just sold my 290 stihl yesterday so I need to find something before spring creeps in . I'm no husky fan but I'm just hearing way too much great reviews of speed and agility to this saw to not consider it .seems for the 60cc class its a step ahead of the pack

Keep us updated when you buy the saw. I look foward to hearing what a stihl guy thinks of his new husquvarna. :rock:

I'm sure those results are easy to predict. Like I have said before, if you buy a saw with the new technology from either Husky or Stihl you will think it is far superior to what you previously had. That is why it is good we have a member who said he had one of each (562 XP and 362 C-M) and said they both performed about the same. He slightly preferred the Stihl, but that could likely vary from person to person. They are both great saws.

Sure sounds like you are happy with the price!

For me as a fire wooder it just simply wouldn't be worth it. The videos I have seen simply just don't impress me enough. I just have the feeling that all these raves of how much faster the saw is, simply has to do with the higher reeving and that is then just deception in my eyes. In other words screaming does sound great but if it doesn't cut any faster I don't need no screaming. Kind of like a great package only to find a fart bag inside. OK to some people ~1 sec in one 25inch cut means the world. For me it is simply a snail fart.
I would prefer having ~100 bills more in my hand and know that with that money the next ~ 25 gallons!!! of two stroke mix is paid for! (if I use these numbers http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/) And that would be about the equivalent of ~118!!! refills. That sure would land me a lot of wood and would have paid for the saw in a short time!

Good luck whatever you choose!

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents. I started out with Stihl's in the 70's and in the 90's I found Dolmars because my fancy Stihl shop could not get parts for my 042. The one man shop working out of his garage fixed my Stihl and sold me my first Dolmar 6800. Last time I checked I had 6 Dolmars and my new fad Jonsered 670-Champs.. 2 of them. My old friend with the Dolmars would repair saws in front of you and show you how to work on them. Can't give you a thumbs up on the 6100 but Dolmars are a great saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting through a cookie is one thing but handling the saw and lugging it around a wood lot is another . This is another reason the husky option is on the table in my circumstance . I'm not old but I'm not 20 either .The 362 is pure quality don't get me wrong Stihl makes a durable sano saw but it felt just like my 290 farm boss I'm replacing in my hands ( there was even one sitting beside it to test this) kind of bulky heavy and awkward to roll to the side where the husky has a sleek more natural ergonomic feel to it. . And it's half a pound lighter . I know guys love the power of their dolmars and the savings but The dolmar looks and feels heavy in the hand and personally it appears like it's a big box store Chinese 159$ saw that May sound biased but I never got to actually run one and it's my first impression of looking it over . That sounds biased I know but until I can run one all I have is looks . The dealers don't have demo saws to try they just say " guys like em " my local dolmar dealer says he never even started one or ran it just says they are good ....for. 600$ well I need more to go on than that lol

Last edited:
The 562 is a great saw, but in your comparison with the Farm Boss you are comparing a non Professional saw to a Professional saw. The Professional saws are always lighter & more powerful, from both Stihl & Husky. When you compare apples to apples, the difference disappears.

Wow some real wild reviews especially from people who admit they never ran a Dolmar? Feels like China and than says they are heavy? Most China junk I feel is light weight. Don't understand the comment about cutting a cookie?

My old friend with the Dolmars would repair saws in front of you and show you how to work on them.

I like the sounds of that guy doing your work. :bowdown:
Heck I have had guys bring beer to my liking and we crack them open while talking and I work on their saws. Heck time or 2 even alittle shine showed up with saws to work on. Got to love it. :rock:

Been known to do a redneck fixes on some saws to get them right back out cutting and did chains while they were waiting. :chop:

JJ That old Dolmar dealer was over 20 years ago. Since than I do all my own work and some work for friends. Winter projects because come summer nothing but golf. Thanks for the info.. Where are you located ? Thanks Bill

Latest posts

Back