Dolmar 7900, Sugihara 32" bar (dealer recomending 63 gauge ?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Raptor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased a Dolmar 7900 beginning of season after some serious thought about wether going with another Stihl 460 or try a new Dolmar. Got a lot of advise and opinions from this site which was great. Anyway went with the Dolmar and to date am VERY happy with saw. It DEFINITELY has more power than a Stihl 460 and the price was cheaper, now it's just a longevity test.... as my Stihl 460, even thought of age is still running like new.

Anyway, need to purchase a longer bar just in case the Stihl 460 36"er dies, so I decided to go with a 32" for the Dolmar. Called Sugihara as it seemed the way to go as I do not like all that tounge weight of the 36" on the Stihl so thought a lightweight Sugi would be "fun".

Question is that Sugihara rep is recomending a 63 gauge for the 32" bar stating it is the "most popular and best choice". I have never owed of used a 63 gauge as all of my Stihl 460's and 056 were 50 gauge. I was always under the assumption that "kerf - thin" bars and chains were becoming the new wave (ie. 43 gauge on the Stihl 192 and now on the Stihl 200t) as the 43 gauge is much faster).

So, can anyone give me any advise as to wether I should go with the dealer recomended 63 gauge or something else. I do not have any other 32" bars so "swapping" will not be an issue. I cannot remember if the Sugihara rep said that the new 32" bar for my Dolmar 7900 will swap onto the Stihl 460. I know older ones did not. This new bar does NOT need a spacer as the old er ones did.

I will have to purchase all new chain for the bar so that is also not an issue.

thanks in advance....

Back